Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Libby app on my phone and can download books to the Kindle app, but cannot figure out how to download to the Kindle device.

Does anyone know how to do this?

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
As far as I am aware, you can't use Libby on a kindle device. Libby is an app for tablets and phones only. But usually, if you can borrow from the library via overdrive, there will be a kindle version that you can borrow and send to your kindle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I am aware, you can't use Libby on a kindle device. Libby is an app for tablets and phones only. But usually, if you can borrow from the library via overdrive, there will be a kindle version that you can borrow and send to your kindle.
Thank you, Ann. I have borrowed Kindle version from Libby, but don’t know who to get it on the Kindle device. I’m not sure what you are referring to with “overdrive”.

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
I've found several ways to borrow from my library. Of course, I can go to my library website find a book I want, and borrow it. I choose the option for 'kindle book' and it sends me to Amazon where I can actually download the book.

Overdrive is a library distribution service for ebooks. There is also an Overdrive website that you can register on which is helpful if there are several libraries you have subscriptions to. That way you can just search on one site and find the book wherever it's available.

The best thing I've found lately, though, is a plug in/extension for the Firefox browser called "Library Extension". You install it, link to your libraries, and then on sites that have books -- including Amazon and GoodReads -- when you're browsing you'll see a pop up that tells you which, if any, of your libraries has the book available. You can jump straight to the library site to put a hold or borrow the book and send it to your kindle pretty quickly. I think there's a version as well for Chrome.

I do have Libby on my tablet, but I don't think there's a way to use it and send the borrowed book to the kindle. I think it has to get delivered to the device where the Libby app resides. Such is my understanding, anyway, which is why I don't really use it: I much prefer to read on my kindle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've found several ways to borrow from my library. Of course, I can go to my library website find a book I want, and borrow it. I choose the option for 'kindle book' and it sends me to Amazon where I can actually download the book.

Overdrive is a library distribution service for ebooks. There is also an Overdrive website that you can register on which is helpful if there are several libraries you have subscriptions to. That way you can just search on one site and find the book wherever it's available.

The best thing I've found lately, though, is a plug in/extension for the Firefox browser called "Library Extension". You install it, link to your libraries, and then on sites that have books -- including Amazon and GoodReads -- when you're browsing you'll see a pop up that tells you which, if any, of your libraries has the book available. You can jump straight to the library site to put a hold or borrow the book and send it to your kindle pretty quickly. I think there's a version as well for Chrome.

I do have Libby on my tablet, but I don't think there's a way to use it and send the borrowed book to the kindle. I think it has to get delivered to the device where the Libby app resides. Such is my understanding, anyway, which is why I don't really use it: I much prefer to read on my kindle.
I, too, prefer to read on my Kindle. It sounds like I will have to continue purchasing the books I want to read on that device.
Thanks for your assistance.

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
I, too, prefer to read on my Kindle. It sounds like I will have to continue purchasing the books I want to read on that device.
I borrow books from the library all the time to read on my kindle. I don't go through Libby, but more-or-less directly through the library website.

I guess I'm not clear on what difficulty you're having?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
If the book shows up in the Kindle app, then it should be in your kindle content or cloud. Often times books don't automatically download to my kindle.

Try doing a search for the book on your kindle to see if it's in the cloud. If it shows up without needing to purchase it, then you can download it from your kindle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
that's not remotely true

my library has a box you check when the book becomes available to check out, i can check the kindle box, and it literally sends me to my Amazon account where a button appears saying my library is ready to loan me the book, hit the button, it goes to my Kindle (it disappears automatically when the 4 weeks are over)

my library ALSO offers overdrive/Libby & i often prefer to use overdrive/Libby to get the book sent to my phone (esp. if it's audiobook) but the Kindle option is offered lots of times

i think maybe you're missing a step & your best bet would be to call the library and have a librarian walk you through the process of getting your ebooks on your Kindle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts