Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Finding a ghostwriter will be easier. Not easy, but easier. You need to do your due diligence, which can be hard because a lot of good ghostwriters will have non-disclosures in place. See their work, and be able to prove it's their work before agreeing to anything.

Finding someone to co-write with will be tough if you don't have something to bring to the table. I'm not saying you don't, just that anyone who is worth co-writing with will want to know you are equally worth it.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The people I know who've cowritten wrote on their own first. They met their cowriters via the usual paths of meeting other writers. Forums, social media, in person conferences. They became friends, or at least friendly, then they decided to cowrite. Sometimes for the creative challenge. Sometimes for business reasons.

In romance, a lot of people split writing by splitting POV. One person writes male POV. One writes female POV. Others split chapters. Or even split books across a series. There's really no one way to do it.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
If you decide to co-write, make sure your co-writer is someone you're compatible with, and lay out your expectations in advance. Who's doing the plotting? Who's doing the first draft? Who's doing the second draft? Who gets final say on the disagreements? How are you splitting the money? Who's in charge of bookkeeping? How much of the profits are you going to put back into ads? Who's paying for things like proofreading and covers, etc? If you decide to go your separate ways, who owns the rights?

And make sure you're honest with yourself when it comes to giving someone else a say over your writing. To give you an example of what I mean, a friend of mine and I have talked about how much fun it would be to co-write something. But we're both very particular about our voice, and both of us would want the final pass. So, as much as I would like to think it would be fun, I know in my heart that it wouldn't work well with that particular friend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts