Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see on Amazon KDP how many people have downloaded my book. Is it possible to see how many people actually read it ?
I understand the KENP page read is only for Kindle Unlimited but I could be wrong about that ?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Quick answer, RE sales of books: If they bought it, they probably read it, or are reading it, or read part of it. But you still got paid, no matter how much of it they read, and that's what counts the most. Of course, if they return it, then you didn't get paid....

As for KU, the pages read are what you get paid for. And you are correct, pages read only applies to KU.

That's about the limit of the stats that are available to indie authors on Zon sales.

Other stats apparently are available concerning advertising, if you advertise.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In a word: no. I would hope most people read it, but your guess is as good as mine. One thing I do do is buy the book, and then see what the popular highlights are. Doesn't tell me a lot about the number of people downloading it, but it does tell me a little about engagement--what they liked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. The reason I asked is that I ran a Freebooksy and it was quite successful but I was curious to know how many of the people who downloaded it for free would actually read it !

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
642 Posts
Cool. The reason I asked is that I ran a Freebooksy and it was quite successful but I was curious to know how many of the people who downloaded it for free would actually read it !
Everyone, including the traditional publishers, would love to have that data. But...
And viacomCBS bought Wattpad to try and get a handle on some of that information.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
You'll only be able to see how many people read it in KU. If they downloaded it for free on the Freebooksy you can only see how many were downloaded, not how many read it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be a really great metric to have wouldnt it ! To know how many people who buy your book read it right through to the end, or if they all put it down at a certain point....

·
Registered
346 Posts
It would be a really great metric to have wouldnt it ! To know how many people who buy your book read it right through to the end, or if they all put it down at a certain point....
Even with KU stats you'll only know how many pages were read, not how many people read how many of the pages that were read. Say you had 1000 KENP reads in a day? Amazon doesn't tell you if so and so many people reading all of it, or if so and so many people read portions of it, or a mixture of the two. They just tell you that 1000 pages were read.

My books are in KU. When I see my KENP reads I'm just glad the books are being read at all considering the time and effort that it took to make them.

Dee

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can see on Amazon KDP how many people have downloaded my book. Is it possible to see how many people actually read it ?
I understand the KENP page read is only for Kindle Unlimited but I could be wrong about that ?
I'm intrigued by this thread. I haven't been following Kboards for some time (more fool me), but I posted a similar question in the past - in that case specifically about books downloaded while they're on free offer - and nobody seemed to be able to offer an answer then either. I appreciate that Amazon doesn't publish statistics that would provide a definitive answer, but I feel that when it comes to free downloads, in a way the question invites a different kind of answer - a kind of instinctive "gut feel" answer, backed by anecdotal evidence. For instance, how many pages of free-download books do forum members themselves read? How many pages do their friends and colleagues say they read? What do people say about this out there in the wild? Across the whole community of Kindle readers, is there not some broad sense of what the proportion is? Could it be 10 percent? Twenty percent? More? Or barely 1 percent?

I accept that when I run Freebooksy or similar free promotions, the financial rewards come in terms of KU reads and sales of other books. Like one of the other respondents, I don't mind how many KU customers are reading pages; I'm just glad someone is! All the same, if 2,000 people download one of my books while it's on free offer, I'd love to be able to tell myself (and other people) that by "general consensus" (whatever that might be), xxx number of people have probably read it. It would be a really useful yardstick of how appealing the book really is (as distinct from the cover and the blurb).

As a matter of interest, I suspect that I probably proceed to read about a third to a half of the books I download under free offers myself - perhaps more. Maybe that's a high proportion, but I treat these books in the same way as books that aren't on offer; I read some of the "Look inside" preview before I download them at all, just to make sure I'm not completely wasting my time downloading them.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I'm intrigued by this thread. I haven't been following Kboards for some time (more fool me), but I posted a similar question in the past - in that case specifically about books downloaded while they're on free offer - and nobody seemed to be able to offer an answer then either. I appreciate that Amazon doesn't publish statistics that would provide a definitive answer, but I feel that when it comes to free downloads, in a way the question invites a different kind of answer - a kind of instinctive "gut feel" answer, backed by anecdotal evidence. For instance, how many pages of free-download books do forum members themselves read? How many pages do their friends and colleagues say they read? What do people say about this out there in the wild? Across the whole community of Kindle readers, is there not some broad sense of what the proportion is? Could it be 10 percent? Twenty percent? More? Or barely 1 percent?

I accept that when I run Freebooksy or similar free promotions, the financial rewards come in terms of KU reads and sales of other books. Like one of the other respondents, I don't mind how many KU customers are reading pages; I'm just glad someone is! All the same, if 2,000 people download one of my books while it's on free offer, I'd love to be able to tell myself (and other people) that by "general consensus" (whatever that might be), xxx number of people have probably read it. It would be a really useful yardstick of how appealing the book really is (as distinct from the cover and the blurb).

As a matter of interest, I suspect that I probably proceed to read about a third to a half of the books I download under free offers myself - perhaps more. Maybe that's a high proportion, but I treat these books in the same way as books that aren't on offer; I read some of the "Look inside" preview before I download them at all, just to make sure I'm not completely wasting my time downloading them.
Regardless of how useful a yardstick it might be, I don't think there's any way to accurately generalize what percentage of free books are read across all books. One person's book may average 60% read, and someone else's book might average 5% read, because not all stories will be liked the same amount.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah, but that's you. With all the free giveaways that have become the norm nowadays, most kindle readers have become notorious hoarders. How could they not? Where would they find the time to read all the free books they get?

So if you're in KU and you see a bunch of KENP reads for your books, be relieved that SOMEONE OUT THERE is taking the time to read your book at all. Because most ebooks are resigned to their own personal slush pile and never get read in favor of the shiny new ebook being offered to them.

Dee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts