Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some books manage to get into the teen and young adult category without listing reading age 15 to 18 or so forth

I requested to be placed in it but KDP wouldn't do it without me selecting an age.

So any idea how others have managed to do it without picking reading ages?

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Have you picked Juvenile as a category, then winnowed it down to fit the book (twice, since you pick two), and then used keywords? I think that's what you need to do. You can look in the Help pages at KDP and read up on the keyword requirements.

·
Registered
632 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
Why don't you just pick an age?
The problem with picking an age, I think, is that on some devices the book's product page then exhibits the book's target audience as you entered it, showing "18" as its top age even when your target audience is bigger, so everybody over the age of 18 will be instantly put off. It only does it on some devices. I saw it on my phone a couple of times, when one of my YA books' product pages said "Age: 15 to 18" or something like that. I was like "Whaaaat??" But that's what it does sometimes. One of my friends had the same problem too: she didnt't want to have a top age limit but this setting just cuts off your target audience at 18 years old on some devices.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Lady Runa said:
The problem with picking an age, I think, is that on some devices the book's product page then exhibits the book's target audience as you entered it, showing "18" as its top age even when your target audience is bigger, so everybody over the age of 18 will be instantly put off. It only does it on some devices. I saw it on my phone a couple of times, when one of my YA books' product pages said "Age: 15 to 18" or something like that. I was like "Whaaaat??" But that's what it does sometimes. One of my friends had the same problem too: she didnt't want to have a top age limit but this setting just cuts off your target audience at 18 years old on some devices.
Okay, but even still, adults who read YA are going to know that YA is written for a teen audience, regardless of the fact that adults read it. I'm one of those adults who love reading YA, and I don't find it off-putting at all to see that it's geared toward teen readers. I actually like it, because it tells me the kind of book I'm going to get.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lady Runa said:
Bingo! It can also be offputting to readers who think a book is only teen but when often its both. I don't want to rule out that market either.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unkownwriter said:
Have you picked Juvenile as a category, then winnowed it down to fit the book (twice, since you pick two), and then used keywords? I think that's what you need to do. You can look in the Help pages at KDP and read up on the keyword requirements.
unkownwriter said:
I will give that a try. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts