Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been answered many times before, but I have looked for weeks now, and still seem unsure how exactly users on Kindle view my book.

This is the story: I have uploaded my novel on Kindle and within moments I had three books sold.  However, since then nothing has happened.  These prices were at 0.99.  I have since moved the price up, hoping they will match Smashwords price, which is under 0.99 (Free).  If anyone can help me on that one, I would appreciate it.  I've tagged the Smashwords link on my amazon page, but they haven't seemed to change it.

So it appears that when people can SEE my book, they buy it (as in the case when I uploaded...it was the first book in the whats new category for a few minutes, and people decided to take a chance on it.  Since then, either no one has taken a chance on it, or they simply can't see it anywhere.

Do you authors have any tips for exposure on the kindle?  I'm making my way through forums, blogs and twitter.  Not sure where to go next.  Sent in a bunch of requests for review, but if anyone knows some reviewers who aren't too busy right now, that could be great.  I imagine it's just a case of "one day things will change"?  Not hoping for a miracle, and will continue to write for the rest of my life, but would be nice to know there's something else I haven't been doing that is contributing to my lack of sales.  Smashwords has been pretty much a success (still pending review for the other services), yet nothing for Kindle, which I was thinking would be my main provider.

I'm rambling now, so I will open to the floor up to anyone else.  Thanks,

Gregory Blackman

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm fairly new to e-publishing, and to the Kindle Boards, but tags help the Amazon search engine find your book. There is a tag exchange thread here in the Writer's Cafe. Also, this thread probably should be in the Writer's Cafe (just guessing).
There are lots of successful authors on KB with tons of experience and ideas. They are really generous and helpful to new writers/members. You should check out the cafe threads - plenty of them discuss marketing opportunities and ideas.
Also, you don't say how long ago your book went live. I've read that it takes at least a couple of weeks for your book to get really picked up in the Amazon algorithms. So a bit more time may help.
Good luck with your new book!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crud that sucks, I can't seem to move the thread, hopefully a mod picks this up.

Thanks a lot Ann, I really appreciate the feedback.  You've been great.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Took a very quick look; you have just two tags, and were published on 6th July.
Make sure that your book can be found by an appropriate search-string. eg ebooks-fiction-Young Adult- Science Fiction-Space opera, or whatever seems appropriate to you. This can be done with the right tags.
People often have a particular genre or type of book in mind when they browse, so you must ensure as best you can that yours can be found.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Patience seems to be a keen word with writing. Patience in writing and revision. Patience in publishing. Patience in setting up a fan base and building readership. You've got the book out; the rest will follow in time. Plus, getting yourself listed in as many places will help. Build your internet presence. Goodreads.com, Librarything.com, and Authorsden.com are pretty welcoming to Indie writers. Try setting up some profiles there and the readers will often find you.  ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just approaching your Amazon listing as a customer, I would be concerned by some of the grammar issues in the product description ("The galaxies only hope", " the coming of age story about a cautious young boy, into a confident young man"). I would think that the text of the book would consequently be rough reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts