Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a pinned post about this. I'm not exactly expert on html but I thought this was well within my capabilities. But even using the instructions and after a couple of hours of messing up my sig, I gave up. I really want the text next to the graphic link. Can anyone give me some help with this? *sniffles and looks helpless*

· Registered
1,053 Posts
JRTomlin said:
There is a pinned post about this. I'm not exactly expert on html but I thought this was well within my capabilities. But even using the instructions and after a couple of hours of messing up my sig, I gave up. I really want the text next to the graphic link. Can anyone give me some help with this? *sniffles and looks helpless*
You're not the only one. I followed it exactly, but it kept putting it under the pictures in my sig.

I copied and pasted the example that they gave us, and even it came out the same way.

· Registered
578 Posts
The instructions have a glitch (typo? ;D)

I am going to list the rest of this message in 'code' mode so I can use the actual commands without having the post act on them. That way you see exactly what you will type into your signature.

Code:
In the example from the instructions, the [table] command is used to open the table,
but the [/table] command to close it (and others, like table data and row) are duplicated.
In essence, per the instructions, the table is closed before the example text is listed,
which means it will come after the table (below it).

Here is how it should be constructed, minus everything after the semi-colons
which are my comments to help you along in understanding it:

[table]                     ; opens the table.

[tr]                          ; indicates a row is beginning.

[td]                         ; indicates the next is an element of data to go in the open row.

....                          ; put the cover image and link here.

[/td]                        ; now that's done, you say "close" that data item.

[td]                         ; now you have another data item, either a second cover
                              ; or proceed immediately to your text...

Buy my book, etc...   ; HERE is the text you want beside it.
                              ; This is where the instructions went awry.
                              ; The table should not yet be closed!

[/td]                        ; now that data item is done, close it.

[/tr]                         ; then once you're all done, the row is done. close it.

[/table]                    ; and finally, close the table.

I've listed these line-by-line but they can be crammed together on one line,
other than any breaks in your text block you want beside the cover image.
(for example it could look like this... [table][tr][td]....{cover link...}... etc.)

The important thing -- there should be only ONE pair of [table] [/table] and
only one pair of [tr] [/tr]. You can have more than one [td] [/td] pair and
should for each element in the signature (each cover image/link, and text block).

· Registered
17,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
William Campbell said:
The instructions have a glitch (typo? ;D)

I am going to list the rest of this message in 'code' mode so I can use the actual commands without having the post act on them. That way you see exactly what you will type into your signature.

Code:
In the example from the instructions, the [table] command is used to open the table,
but the [/table] command to close it (and others, like table data and row) are duplicated.
In essence, per the instructions, the table is closed before the example text is listed,
which means it will come after the table (below it).

Here is how it should be constructed, minus everything after the semi-colons
which are my comments to help you along in understanding it:

[table]                     ; opens the table.

[tr]                          ; indicates a row is beginning.

[td]                         ; indicates the next is an element of data to go in the open row.

....                          ; put the cover image and link here.

[/td]                        ; now that's done, you say "close" that data item.

[td]                         ; now you have another data item, either a second cover
                              ; or proceed immediately to your text...

Buy my book, etc...   ; HERE is the text you want beside it.
                              ; This is where the instructions went awry.
                              ; The table should not yet be closed!

[/td]                        ; now that data item is done, close it.

[/tr]                         ; then once you're all done, the row is done. close it.

[/table]                    ; and finally, close the table.

I've listed these line-by-line but they can be crammed together on one line,
other than any breaks in your text block you want beside the cover image.
(for example it could look like this... [table][tr][td]....{cover link...}... etc.)

The important thing -- there should be only ONE pair of [table] [/table] and
only one pair of [tr] [/tr]. You can have more than one [td] [/td] pair and
should for each element in the signature (each cover image/link, and text block).
Thanks! I should have picked that up on my own but it's been a VERY long time since I used HTML. That is a huge help!

I'll play with it in the middle of the night so when I scr*w up my sig everyone in the world won't see it, but I should be able to get it right with that help. :)

· Registered
578 Posts
JRTomlin said:
I'll play with it in the middle of the night so when I scr*w up my sig everyone in the world won't see it, but I should be able to get it right with that help. :)
Glad I could help, and like you, I've made a fool of my sig (and me) a few times while trying to edit it until I realized (like duh, something I too should have figured out on my own...) -- you can author a new post, paste your sig code into it, and preview it until it's right. Just don't fill in a subject and you're safe from accidentally posting your sig as a message. The board won't let you post a new thread without a subject. Yeah, realized that after more than a year here. Go figure. Too many brain cells consumed with all the rest, eh?

· Premium Member
67,100 Posts
Thanks for posting this, William.  I'm going to correct the sig instructions, thanks.  I'm sorry about that, thanks for letting us know.

And JR--it's actually bbc code, which is similar to, but not identical to HTML, so don't beat yourself up!

Betsy

· Premium Member
67,100 Posts
DebBennett said:
Thank you! Spent ages trying to figure this out. I can code basic html, but the square brackets confused me.

deb
And that's confusing to a lot of folks. It's important to remember that this is bbc code, not html code, and it has its own set of rules.

I've edited Pidgeon92's original post. It turns out it wasn't a typo, but a glitch in the bbc software that was causing it to add extra tags because of the way we "trick" the system into letting us display code without using the code box that William used. I've figured out how to avoid that, and the extra tags are no longer there.

Betsy

· Registered
578 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Thanks for posting this, William. I'm going to correct the sig instructions, thanks. I'm sorry about that, thanks for letting us know.
You're welcome, Betsy. After I struggled with it myself and finally figured out the problem, really, I was planning to send you a...

(sidetracked)

Then someone asked...

(sidetracked)

Then I got sidetracked from being sidetracked.

Life's a blur sometimes. GRIN.

The instructions look great now. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.