Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to handle someone whose jokes are unfunny and possibly hurtful?

I had an uncle like that. He would make fun of people, and it was meant to sting. He was disliked by many.

Right now I know someone who likes to make fun of people, but I don't think it’s meant to be malicious. A couple of times I’ve said something in all seriousness and he made a joke of it.

My dad is super-sarcastic and he’s sometimes said something I found so hilarious that I laughed and laughed though the joke was on me.

So I don't mind if the joke is at my expense if it’s genuinely funny. With the guy I mentioned, the jokes just sounded silly.

Truth is, most of us aren’t as funny as Bill Maher and Jimmy Kimmel. And who knows how funny they are when their writers aren’t writing their material for them.

Humor is tricky. When you try to be funny and it doesn't come off, it just sounds silly.

And when someone says something in all seriousness and you make a joke of it, it can sound like you’re demeaning and belittling them.

If I thought this guy was being deliberately mean, I’d say something. I think he’s basically a nice guy with a corny sense of humor. I don't want to say to him: “Your jokes aren’t funny” since that would just be cruel.

How would you handle it? Best to just ignore the jokes, I guess? Or maybe make some silly quip back? That would keep the conversation flowing without any awkward silence or bumps because I didn't think his joke appropriate.

I can do silly quips back if I have to. I think like most people, I like to be liked, so I don't want the conversation to hit some awkward road block. Maybe best if I meet him at his level and engage in some silly repartee? I mean, who does that hurt, even if I think it silly?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, LDB. I hesitate to confront him since I think he’s a good guy at heart. But I will if it gets much worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that it depends on a person. If he is good, tell him in private, if you don't like him, you might joke the same way with him, maybe he will realize that it is not funny.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ignoring this type of people works miracles. Because the attention they need is gone. Moreover, you will feel good.

Even late night show jokes may be funny to us but are often attacks on famous people. Have fun with life and wish you all the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts