Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to give my true identity out. Sounds stupid, I know. And can you publish a book not connected with your kindle account for free? How many word formatted pages make a good-length book? (At least 250 book-pages)

·
Registered
768 Posts
EvilB said:
I don't want to give my true identity out. Sounds stupid, I know. And can you publish a book not connected with your kindle account for free? How many word formatted pages make a good-length book? (At least 250 book-pages)
1. You cannot publish free books through KDP at this time.
2. Words to pages will vary depending on how big your paragraphs are. I just finished proofing a book that was around 12,500 words and was 70 print pages in a 5.25" x 8" size -- so if you use that as a base benchmark example 250 pages would be almost 4 times the number of words or about 50,000 words.

I will add that in order to have spine artwork (at CreateSpace anyway) you need to have at least 110 print pages.

You can choose any author name when you go to publish your Kindle ebook, so you'd just use your pen name there and in your ebook of course :)

Hope this helps.

G

·
Regarding pseudonyms you can choose any name (or register a ltd company if you prefer). Amazon sets a minimum price you have to charge, and then chooses which books it wants to make free.

However you can publish Kindle Format books for free, just not through the Kindle store. Either you can download the free program Mobipocket, format your own Kindle book and put it on your website, or you could use a site like Smashwords who do the processing for you and are free. On Smashwords, you can choose any name and just need an email address and paypal account (and paypal only if you are taking royalties).

Other sites like Smashwords include Wattpad and Feedbooks..

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VH Folland said:
Regarding pseudonyms you can choose any name (or register a ltd company if you prefer). Amazon sets a minimum price you have to charge, and then chooses which books it wants to make free.

However you can publish Kindle Format books for free, just not through the Kindle store. Either you can download the free program Mobipocket, format your own Kindle book and put it on your website, or you could use a site like Smashwords who do the processing for you and are free. On Smashwords, you can choose any name and just need an email address and paypal account (and paypal only if you are taking royalties).

Other sites like Smashwords include Wattpad and Feedbooks..
But I didn't think that you could write kindle books on smashwords.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
EvilB said:
But I didn't think that you could write kindle books on smashwords.
Yes, Kindle (.mobi) is one of the formats that Smashwords makes available for download (if you choose it). It doesn't go directly to the user's Kindle, as Amazon's download does, so it's an extra step on the reader's part to move it there.

Most authors here do both - publish on Amazon through the KDP, and also publish through Smashwords.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's a little subjective to say how many pages makes a good book. A good length novel is 90,000 words, which is industry standard in romance and some other genres, or up to around the 140,000 words for established print authors.

I have books in paperback at 6" x 9" trade paperback size. A 90,000 word book properly formatted will come out around 190 pages at that size, a 125,000 word book comes out around 260 pages. My 160,000 word vampire romance epic came out at 350 pages. That's using 10.5pt Times New Roman as the font, which is a fairly standard size.

Using a pseudonym on Kindle isn't difficult at all as you can enter whatever you like as the author name on the book when you add it via the dashboard. I sell books under three names at Kindle, all from the same account.

Hope this helps!

Felicity Heaton

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
EvilB said:
Can I publish a free book without an Amazon account? Just asking this because I don't have my own; I use my mom's.
All epublish sites such as Amazon, B&N and Smashwords are free to upload. It does not cost anything to put your book on their site.

Smashwords, however, is the only site where you set the price of your book as free. All the other sites will require that you set a minimum of 99 cents as the price.

But any site you upload to is going to ask for payment information. They need to a) make sure you are a real person and b) they need some place to send bills/checks. So it doesn't cost anything but they do need billing information for someone who is over 18.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts