Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kindle is about 15-20 years old. Over that period I haven't had hardly any trouble with it. On last Saturday it was working fine. Then on Sunday morning when I turned it ON everything was gone! Most importantly my Contacts app and Notes app were removed. My Kindle appears that it may have performed a factory reset without me requesting it. Is there any way for me to at least recover my Contacts data and Notes data?

·
Super Moderator
67,588 Posts
Giving you the benefit of the doubt here: Are you sure you're talking about a kindle. Because the first Kindles were only shipped late in 2007. Which means the oldest ones, of which few are still in every day use, are only just 14 years old. 15 to 20 years old, then, is beyond possibility.

AND, as far as I recall (I did have one of those original models) there was no "contacts" or "notes" app. It was pretty much made to display ebooks and that's it. Of course, there might have been ebooks that tried to function like a notes or contacts application. But none worked very successfully, in my opinion.

So. My gut reaction is that the purpose of this post is spam of some sort, but if you can be more specific about what device specifically you're having issue with, it is just possible someone can help.

FWIW, though, none of the now 11 generations of kindle ereaders, will do a factory reset without you initiating it and confirming it more than once. They can restart on their own, but that does not remove any files from the device.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Giving you the benefit of the doubt here: Are you sure you're talking about a kindle. Because the first Kindles were only shipped late in 2007. Which means the oldest ones, of which few are still in every day use, are only just 14 years old. 15 to 20 years old, then, is beyond possibility.

AND, as far as I recall (I did have one of those original models) there was no "contacts" or "notes" app. It was pretty much made to display ebooks and that's it. Of course, there might have been ebooks that tried to function like a notes or contacts application. But none worked very successfully, in my opinion.

So. My gut reaction is that the purpose of this post is spam of some sort, but if you can be more specific about what device specifically you're having issue with, it is just possible someone can help.

FWIW, though, none of the now 11 generations of kindle ereaders, will do a factory reset without you initiating it and confirming it more than once. They can restart on their own, but that does not remove any files from the device.
I could most certainly be wrong about how long I have had this Kindle. I tried to find the original receipt but I can't find it. The version of my Kindle is 7.5.1. It is not one of those Kindle ereaders, but it is older than the Kindle Fires. I lost everything on my Kindle, but the most important app that I lost was DejaOffice, which is a contacts or address book app. The other important app that I lost was Color Notes.

·
Super Moderator
67,588 Posts
Ah! I'm not sure that I can help then. 'Round here, "kindle" really only refers to the various generations/models of eReader. Roughly 2011, maybe a year after Apple's iPad, Amazon released the"Kindle Fire", which later was known as "Amazon Fire".

Given what you've said, it sounds to me like you may not have an Amazon device at all. I did a quick check, and the most recent Fires have software version 7.3.2. Kindle software is on version 5.14.1.

So .... not knowing what it is, I'm not sure how to help. Though, honestly, even knowing what it is, I'm not sure I could help, :( Sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! I'm not sure that I can help then. 'Round here, "kindle" really only refers to the various generations/models of eReader. Roughly 2011, maybe a year after Apple's iPad, Amazon released the"Kindle Fire", which later was known as "Amazon Fire".

Given what you've said, it sounds to me like you may not have an Amazon device at all. I did a quick check, and the most recent Fires have software version 7.3.2. Kindle software is on version 5.14.1.

So .... not knowing what it is, I'm not sure how to help. Though, honestly, even knowing what it is, I'm not sure I could help, :( Sorry.
Not that the following will change your ability to help me.........but I have learned some new information. Much to my surprise my Kindle is actually a Kindle Fire. Yes, it is an Amazon device. On the back of my Kindle Fire it actually shows "Amazon". That version of the Kindle Fire was released in 2012. Here is a photo of my type of Kindle Fire. I will repost my request in the Kindle Fire portion of this forum. Thanks for your input. Amazon.com

·
Super Moderator
67,588 Posts
You may find your best response, then, is by contacting Amazon. Though, with a device that old, what they are most likely to recommend is that you trade it in for a newer one.

As to your missing apps, all I can say is, if you acquired them via the Amazon app store, they should still be available somewhere in your account.

Try going to your Content and Devices page and, in the drop down for 'view' switch it to apps. You should see there any apps you got via Amazon. If you re-load them, and your data is still on the device somewhere (no guarantee) you may be able to get it back.

If you got it from somewhere else, you'd have to find the APK file and re-load it. Again, if the data is still present, there's a possibility the app may find it.

You can also connect the things physically via USB to a computer and see what's on the device that way. The computer will see it as a drive. You can't do much, but you can see what's THERE.

Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts