Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very sorry that my first forum post is such a basic thing, but I really don't know what my next steps are.

I published my first book with a publisher almost 10 years ago, now I want to self-publish.

My book is not a novel, it is a book on strength training, it is 95% finished, I need to adjust the figures and a last revision, I will also translate it into English once finished.

I was hoping to publish in January so the book can be fresh "2021" content, which is important for this kind of book.

My original plan was to print on demand and then sell in my country, but I realize that the way for the book to reach more people is through digital format (which I originally did not like for fear of piracy).

So I was going to use Lulu.com, a site that always had good feedback but now for some reason is getting very bad feedback.

I think amazon is the best option, but I'm not sure. Is there a tutorial or website that tells me the step by step, the various options and the pros and cons of them?

Can someone give me some tipos?

Thank you for your answers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm not sure if this will be helpful and I have zero knowledge of your specific market, but in general (and in the US) Amazon is where customers are and Lulu is not. It's that simple. And I wouldn't worry about digital piracy. Yes, people who don't buy stuff might access your work for free, but if you don't make your work available digitally you're missing out on a healthy chunk of the market.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bite the Dusty said:
I'm not sure if this will be helpful and I have zero knowledge of your specific market, but in general (and in the US) Amazon is where customers are and Lulu is not. It's that simple. And I wouldn't worry about digital piracy. Yes, people who don't buy stuff might access your work for free, but if you don't make your work available digitally you're missing out on a healthy chunk of the market.
Thank you for your reply.

Initially, I was planning to use lulu.com to have about 100 printed books in my hands and distribute them to family and friends, and also sell some.

Then I saw that lulu.com also offers a "Retail Distribution" service and they claim to reach 40,000 distributors, including amazon, but I don't quite understand how this works.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The Retail Distribution option means that people can order the book through any bookstore worldwide.

Downside is that you have to raise the price considerably to allow for all the various profit margins in between lulu and the reader.

If you go for the Lulu bookstore option (which is what I did with my hardbacks), you need to direct people to the link but you also earn a lot more per copy (or can price the books cheaper.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simon Haynes said:
The Retail Distribution option means that people can order the book through any bookstore worldwide.

Downside is that you have to raise the price considerably to allow for all the various profit margins in between lulu and the reader.

If you go for the Lulu bookstore option (which is what I did with my hardbacks), you need to direct people to the link but you also earn a lot more per copy (or can price the books cheaper.)
I see, so maybe lulu.com isn't as good choise.

By publishing with amazon i give them the exclusivity of my content, or i can still sell my book in other platforms??

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
catslover said:
I see, so maybe lulu.com isn't as good choise.

By publishing with amazon i give them the exclusivity of my content, or i can still sell my book in other platforms??
You can publish with Amazon and still distribute elsewhere, as long as you don't enrol in kdp select, which is the exclusive part. You might also consider that you can publish e-book and print via Amazon, the print being print on demand. If you want author copies, you just order author copies when you have set it up. It won't cost you any more and probably a lot less.

Lulu has lost its credibility; I don't have anything to do with it, but it seems to have developed into vanity publishing. Piracy isn't something most people worry about. Most pirate sites are only after people's credit card details. As for being available in bookstores, people need to know the book exists if they are going to order it.

Amazon is definitely your best bet, but may I suggest that you have your finished work proof read by a native English speaker before you publish.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian D. Anderson said:
Self published self-help books do not have a great track record. Alone, I think you're in for an uphill climb. You would need a platform to support it. A website, videos, etc. Basically, you need to build a brand. That's my advice, for what it is.
I have some marketing behind it, specialy in Spain for the Spanish version of the book.

Anyway, i am newbie so i don't know the terminology, most of you publish "narrative novels", this kind of sports sciences books I would not consider them "self-help" books... but i understant there are no "narrative novel" books.

286 Posts
Lots of people are stuck at home right now.  Why not publish and see what happens?  As others have said, you can publish on Amazon and other places as long as you don't choose to be in Kindle Unlimited.  And Draft2Digital (D2D) can be a big help if you don't want to submit to each retailer individually.  Best of luck with your book!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] said:
Lots of people are stuck at home right now. Why not publish and see what happens? As others have said, you can publish on Amazon and other places as long as you don't choose to be in Kindle Unlimited. And Draft2Digital (D2D) can be a big help if you don't want to submit to each retailer individually. Best of luck with your book!
Thank you!

I actually was checking D2D, looks like a nice option, but did you know if they also accepts non-english books too?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts