Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, that's what I'm having to do for my Post-Apocalyptic - Dystopian trilogy that will release on the 7th March. Keeping the price at $4.99 for each is a conscious decision (until I get desperate, lol). I’m also not sending out arcs for reviews.

I have it on pre-order and so far, I’ve sold one copy of each.

Anyway, I’m open to ideas for a no-budget release of a trilogy.

I have a video on YouTube of the release and promo images ready, but that’s it, apart from an interview on speculative fiction sometime near release date. And of course book bazaar on here.

The Prepper's Son: Trilogy

Rally appreciate your ideas, however far out..

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Not having a mailing list stymies the most effective things I can suggest.
Could you start one? Then arrange swaps.

Otherwise, have a look through for free promo sites. Some offer no-guarantee free listings.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
archaeoroutes

I only have around 20 on my mailing list, but its for a completely different genre. I won't be doing free if I can help it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
How are you "having to" do this? The book is not gonna sell if you can't promote it, sorry. I'd hold back until I had more ducks in a row. A book is only a new release once.

·
Registered
539 Posts
This is tough, Decon. It's truly hard to promote with $0.

Your past books will help. You could advertise to your 20 readers in your newsletter. You never know, they might try a different genre if they love your work. Are you doing KU? KU might help. Maybe a free promo for the first book, if willing? You can also apply to free promo sights, but many want you to be selling at a reduced price or free. If you're at full price, you won't get much mileage from promos. Good luck!

You can also apply for blogs (though I personally haven't had much luck there); or try Facebook groups/Goodreads

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How are you "having to" do this? The book is not gonna sell if you can't promote it, sorry. I'd hold back until I had more ducks in a row. A book is only a new release once.
Too late, bridges burnt. It's on pre order. I'm stuck in Brazil with flights barred back home to Portugal because of Covid 19. My cellphone provider can't resolve service to my phone, so can't receive SMS to acces my bank account. Bank wont help, they say it's the law to access in Europe for digital payment and access. It's just one of those things. I could access my app untol a few weeks ago via wi-fi, but the bank say every 90 days they have to apply a code for access, so I'm locked out.

I don't hold with the new release thing. The 30 day cliff thing is a myth to some extent, brought on by people running out of marketing towards the end of 30 days. I will be promoting, just without paid ads. I have some ideas, I was just looking to see if anyone else had any ideas.

I can't even access the accounts section on Amazon without an SMS code for my tax interview.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is tough, Decon. It's truly hard to promote with $0.

Your past books will help. You could advertise to your 20 readers in your newsletter. You never know, they might try a different genre if they love your work. Are you doing KU? KU might help. Maybe a free promo for the first book, if willing? You can also apply to free promo sights, but many want you to be selling at a reduced price or free. If you're at full price, you won't get much mileage from promos. Good luck!

You can also apply for blogs (though I personally haven't had much luck there); or try Facebook groups/Goodreads
Thanks. I have a blog post interview going out on the 24th Feb on speculative fiction. They're also doing a blog post at the time it's released, so that's a start. All I can think of is banging out tweets with links to the trilogy page using relevent hash tags for preppers and post-apoclyptic -dystopian fans. I Know someone who cantacted me on facebook is going to order the all three print books when I upload the for the release date, so that'll be a start.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Can't you try to book some blog posts? And do a sort of blog-tour? That's what I did a couple of years back for a genre campaign I was putting together. You reach to a bunch of bloggers and bookstagrammers and offer the book to then for free in exchange for a feature or review. Usually that means a lot of hours of reaching people and being denied several times for each you manage to book (also, you are rather tight on time with less than 2 weeks to go), but if you have the time to spend to write several dozen emails and 10-20 blog posts, it is a viable option that will not cost you money.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't you try to book some blog posts? And do a sort of blog-tour? That's what I did a couple of years back for a genre campaign I was putting together. You reach to a bunch of bloggers and bookstagrammers and offer the book to then for free in exchange for a feature or review. Usually that means a lot of hours of reaching people and being denied several times for each you manage to book (also, you are rather tight on time with less than 2 weeks to go), but if you have the time to spend to write several dozen emails and 10-20 blog posts, it is a viable option that will not cost you money.
Thanks for that. I'm going to spend most of today trying to find some blogs that do interviews., though I don't know where to start. I only came across speculative fiction because they post regularly on here, Thinking that, I'm a member if a facebook group that has an interview section. I'll go over there now.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thanks for that. I'm going to spend most of today trying to find some blogs that do interviews., though I don't know where to start. I only came across speculative fiction because they post regularly on here, Thinking that, I'm a member if a facebook group that has an interview section. I'll go over there now.
You could submit to my blog - either put the book in the Roundup once it has been released or fill out an Interview: Alasdair Shaw - Scifi Author

PS: By free promos in my earlier post I meant they don't charge you to run in the promo, not that the book had to be free.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could submit to my blog - either put the book in the Roundup once it has been released or fill out an Interview: Alasdair Shaw - Scifi Author

PS: By free promos in my earlier post I meant they don't charge you to run in the promo, not that the book had to be free.
You're a star. I'll do that.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Okay, I filled in the interview submission. If it's too wordy, let me know if it needs cutting down. Really appreciate this. Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Write a short story about your current situation. Make it feel dystopian. Post it on your blog and package it as a free ebook. Have a link to your new series at the end. Then post it on social media as your story of being stranded due to covid. Try to generate buzz for "the poor stranded author" by asking everyone you know to tell their audience about your situation.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Write a short story about your current situation. Make it feel dystopian. Post it on your blog and package it as a free ebook. Have a link to your new series at the end. Then post it on social media as your story of being stranded due to covid. Try to generate buzz for "the poor stranded author" by asking everyone you know to tell their audience about your situation.
Actually, that's a good idea. A short story wouldn't take up too much time. I'm just concentrating on interview blog sites for the next two days, then I might just give it a go.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Put samples of the book -- up to but no more than 10 percent of the book if you're planning to be in KU-- up on prolific works, book funnel, and story origin. Include a link to buy the full book at the very end of the sample. Post these free samples on your web site, social media, etc. and maybe include them in a few free newsletter promotions with other authors, as long as that promo accepts samples. It's a way to build a list and get the book out there for free.

Also, put it up as an ARC on Booksprout. You can get up to 20 people to review your book upon release on the free Booksprout account.

·
Registered
539 Posts
And here's more ...
I stumbled upon a list of twitter and Facebook groups when researching promotions for my own book. Can't vouch for them--I haven't used them--but you can peruse the lists at the bottom of the web page. Maybe helpful?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but here you go:

Not that long ago, I repackaged and republished an old series I'd published a few years ago. I didn't make any actual changes to the content and I had that in the description and inside the book, but what I did was change the cover of the book, the title, and the series name after doing some research on the genre, I changed it all to something grittier. It was a 4 part post-apocalyptic survival thriller with 4 books (I previously had it as a post-apocalyptic adventure.)

I posted book 1 at 2.99, got maybe a couple of sales. then, I put up book 2 two weeks later and set book 1 down at 0.99 at the same time. Book 1 sold a lot of copies, which trickled down to book 2 (set at full price - 2.99). I put up books 3 and 4 in 2-week intervals, each 3.99, then tweaked my keywords a little.

Now, I didn't use any advertising, but because book one was getting purchases, and I got into some nice categories because of my keywords, I did consistently get sales across the series, with most of it coming from book 1. (And I searched for keywords by using Amazon's search tool since it drops down suggestions of most used search phrases, and I just copied the ones that matched my books. I stuffed as many keywords as I could, even using them in my subtitles). Book 1 hung around 1000 in some categories, 10,000 in others. it's dropped to around 100,000 now in its main categories, but I still occasionally make sales, and it surprises me every time. I think it's in 8 different categories, but Amazon won't always show you. I'm sure I bookmarked it somewhere, I found a website that can track all the categories your book is put into, which helped a lot with the keywords as well. The books are also on KU, I never used a free day since I'd given free copies before (over 500 - and sold maybe 20 books at the time) but the page reads were most of my income. I got thousands in the first month (around 30k from book 1 only) and it grew when I published the other books in the series. For each book, the moment it was out, I'd get a boost and sell a few copies and get a bunch of extra page reads before it trickled down.

It was a new experience for me since I'm currently working in another, more saturated genre (romance) where it's hard to make sales with just this, but there's a good growing market in dystopian/post-apocalyptic thriller.

Having a good cover and using the right keywords, is free marketing. Readers also seem to love a series. If you supplement with advertising like you're doing even on a zero budget, you'll probably make some sales but it's hard to say if it'll blow your mind or not. I sold about 100 copies total in my first two months (not counting page reads) which I was happy about, especially since I did no advertising on any of these books. (don't have the time or money to, and I wanted to rewrite the series, anyway) but I'm still getting sales half a year later and getting hundreds of page reads daily on KU. If I could advertise, I could probably make a lot more, but my mailing list (that I managed to grow up to 600 subs in a few months thanks to StoryOrigin, so you could check it out) is for a different genre entirely that I'm a bit slow to update, but it's been good for pushing my backlist.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Put samples of the book -- up to but no more than 10 percent of the book if you're planning to be in KU-- up on prolific works, book funnel, and story origin. Include a link to buy the full book at the very end of the sample. Post these free samples on your web site, social media, etc. and maybe include them in a few free newsletter promotions with other authors, as long as that promo accepts samples. It's a way to build a list and get the book out there for free.

Also, put it up as an ARC on Booksprout. You can get up to 20 people to review your book upon release on the free Booksprout account.
Booksprout looks intersting. Have you used them?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And here's more ...
I stumbled upon a list of twitter and Facebook groups when researching promotions for my own book. Can't vouch for them--I haven't used them--but you can peruse the lists at the bottom of the web page. Maybe helpful?
Thanks. great twitter kist and the others. I'll give them a try

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not sure if this will help, but here you go:

Not that long ago, I repackaged and republished an old series I'd published a few years ago. I didn't make any actual changes to the content and I had that in the description and inside the book, but what I did was change the cover of the book, the title, and the series name after doing some research on the genre, I changed it all to something grittier. It was a 4 part post-apocalyptic survival thriller with 4 books (I previously had it as a post-apocalyptic adventure.)

I posted book 1 at 2.99, got maybe a couple of sales. then, I put up book 2 two weeks later and set book 1 down at 0.99 at the same time. Book 1 sold a lot of copies, which trickled down to book 2 (set at full price - 2.99). I put up books 3 and 4 in 2-week intervals, each 3.99, then tweaked my keywords a little.

Now, I didn't use any advertising, but because book one was getting purchases, and I got into some nice categories because of my keywords, I did consistently get sales across the series, with most of it coming from book 1. (And I searched for keywords by using Amazon's search tool since it drops down suggestions of most used search phrases, and I just copied the ones that matched my books. I stuffed as many keywords as I could, even using them in my subtitles). Book 1 hung around 1000 in some categories, 10,000 in others. it's dropped to around 100,000 now in its main categories, but I still occasionally make sales, and it surprises me every time. I think it's in 8 different categories, but Amazon won't always show you. I'm sure I bookmarked it somewhere, I found a website that can track all the categories your book is put into, which helped a lot with the keywords as well. The books are also on KU, I never used a free day since I'd given free copies before (over 500 - and sold maybe 20 books at the time) but the page reads were most of my income. I got thousands in the first month (around 30k from book 1 only) and it grew when I published the other books in the series. For each book, the moment it was out, I'd get a boost and sell a few copies and get a bunch of extra page reads before it trickled down.

It was a new experience for me since I'm currently working in another, more saturated genre (romance) where it's hard to make sales with just this, but there's a good growing market in dystopian/post-apocalyptic thriller.

Having a good cover and using the right keywords, is free marketing. Readers also seem to love a series. If you supplement with advertising like you're doing even on a zero budget, you'll probably make some sales but it's hard to say if it'll blow your mind or not. I sold about 100 copies total in my first two months (not counting page reads) which I was happy about, especially since I did no advertising on any of these books. (don't have the time or money to, and I wanted to rewrite the series, anyway) but I'm still getting sales half a year later and getting hundreds of page reads daily on KU. If I could advertise, I could probably make a lot more, but my mailing list (that I managed to grow up to 600 subs in a few months thanks to StoryOrigin, so you could check it out) is for a different genre entirely that I'm a bit slow to update, but it's been good for pushing my backlist.
Really appreciate you taking the time to post that, especially seeing as though you're talking about the same genre. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Max N.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts