Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I just hit 100 posts, I think I ought to take the time to introduce myself.

I live in San Angelo, Texas and am a Police Sergeant with the University Police at Angelo State University here. I have been a cop for 20 years now, most of it in Del Rio, Texas with the municipal police.

But - I'm not a typical cop. I taught D.A.R.E. and Community Relations for the majority of my career so I tend to be pretty liberal compared to most cops.

I'm a retro-geek as well and collect manual portable typewriters and am a gadget nut. I have way too many gadgets but love them all. My nickname at work is Inspector Gadget.

I especially love to do photography and work with them on my beyoootiful Macbook pro. That is a passion with me.

I love books, video games, movies, and comic books. I have a beautiful wife, two grown daughters, 4 cats and two dogs. One of my daughters lives here in Texas and the other lives in San Francisco, California.

And just for fun, here is our newest kitty, Cinderella, the same picture as in my avatar.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Hi Dwayne! Good to have you here at KindleBoards.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome. I'm from Texas, but live in Florida now. Have 2 children and other family all in the Houston area living in Texas. Beautiful cat.  :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Welcome Dwayne! :) You're the one that did the awesome Heath Ledger sketch, right? You are very talented! Glad to have you here at KB.
Thank you for the compliment, but I did not do it. I wish I was that talented. No, google is my friend, and I just found it and fixed it for our personal use as a screensaver. That particular sketch was by a very good artist I found on DeviantArt.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
luvmy4brats said:
Welcome Dwayne!

I lived in San Angelo for a time...3 months at Goodfellow to be exact. Loved it! Granted it was about 16-17 years ago, so I'm certain things have changed.

The offer to marry me still stands...Tahiti...really!
Hey then you've got a bit of San Angelo in you! Yeh, things have changed a lot since then, but it's still got that home town feel. Me? I would give anything to move to Colorado or Northern California - GREEEN! lol (I love rainy weather and forests - lived my whole life in the semi-desert.)

Tahiti huh? Would this be what you have in mind?

Awwww - you just love me for my Tinkerbells.....<grin> And then I'd just spoil you too much - oh well - I'll keep you loaded down in Tinks and Oberons until then <lol>

Thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts - *this* is why I like Kindleboards so much - it's awesome here.

oh and Luv, if you want the above pic for your kindle, just go to the link where the other Tinks are and it's there for download already optimized for the Kindle. (click the download tab at the top.)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andra said:
Always glad to see another Texan - especially one who know how to spell y'all :)
Andra in Austin
Thanks Andra! There's another way to spell it? <grin>

Welcome. I'm from Texas, but live in Florida now. Have 2 children and other family all in the Houston area living in Texas. Beautiful cat. Smiley
Once a Texan, always a Texan - even if you just live here three months while your DH trains!!

Yeh - we love this cat a lot - but don't let that cute face fool you - that's the secret identity for the Vampire Kitty! She jumps on my wife's neck and makes kitty paws while licking her neck! Every chance she gets! Sneaky cat.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Thanks for the late Intro  :mad: :mad: .... joking. Nice to have you here.  ::)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kind said:
Thanks for the late Intro :mad: :mad: .... joking. Nice to have you here. ::)
Oh - I just figured I'd keep posting until everyone got a good feel for who I am - and kicked me out - <rofl>

Nah seriously - this is a great group of people. The good part is that they all seem to have a pretty good sense of humour, which is important. All the nurses here will understand what I mean when I say as a cop I have a *very* different sense of humour.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Dwayne- CONGRATS ON 100 POSTS  ;)  

Glad you decided to intro yourself, interesting fella you are.  AND it is nice to have another Texan on board, even if I left I still think I am a Texan, and there are some people that just don't know how to spell y'all LOL but then they aren't Texicans  ;D

Have you read Distant Cousin yet?  You might find the setting a little familiar  :eek: sorta  8)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Thank you! I love Tink..and beaches. I've added it to my screensaver folder.

I spent some time in North Carolina as well and am in Maryland now, and the green is nice. I grew up in Las Vegas, so this is a big change. However, I REALLY miss decent Mexican food. You have some great places to eat there...I probably shouldn't mention the bars since I was only 19 when I was there (But I was married..and that's just a really weird law y'all had/have)...so I won't mention that part ;D Great steakhouse too. Can't remember the name of it though.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hello from California,

Thank you for your service as a LEO, you are a HERO in your community.

It is nice to hear you have a good sense of humor....my humor is senseless.

Nice to meet you and Cinderella (which used to be my CB handle),

-sailor ;D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
luvmy4brats said:
Thank you! I love Tink..and beaches. I've added it to my screensaver folder.

I spent some time in North Carolina as well and am in Maryland now, and the green is nice. I grew up in Las Vegas, so this is a big change. However, I REALLY miss decent Mexican food. You have some great places to eat there...I probably shouldn't mention the bars since I was only 19 when I was there (But I was married..and that's just a really weird law y'all had/have)...so I won't mention that part ;D Great steakhouse too. Can't remember the name of it though.
hmmm - let's see - Steakhouse would have to be Zentner's or Zentner's Daughter - (although there are better steaks around here now) and Mexican food would have to have been Henry's or Mejor que Nada (Better than nothing) or even may be Fuentes. Those are the older/good Mexican food restaurants. Me? I love the 'joints'/'mom and pops' - those are the best IMO. Here is a pic of a great sandwich called a "Torta" it is awesome!

And you mean the liquor laws? pfft - they change all the time - right now it's 21. When I was growing up it was 18, then 19 then 21 all at just the right time for me to stay ahead of the curve - <grin> My b-day is in July and the laws would go into effect in September - so I skated. And you're right - we have *lots* of weird laws around here......lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jeff said:
Hey from McGregor, Texas. Y'all come see us. Hear?
Thank you!

Dwayne- CONGRATS ON 100 POSTS Wink

Glad you decided to intro yourself, interesting fella you are. AND it is nice to have another Texan on board, even if I left I still think I am a Texan, and there are some people that just don't know how to spell y'all LOL but then they aren't Texicans Grin

Have you read Distant Cousin yet? You might find the setting a little familiar Shocked sorta Cool
Thank you! And like I said earlier - once a Texan always a Texan - we infect everyone! (or is it enable? pfft - now I'm confused) Texican huh? Yup - a better description there never was!

Distant Cousin - nope - but now I'll look into it for sure. You need to read Elmer Kelton - my favorite - "The Time it Never Rained" He lives here in San Angelo.

Hello from California,

Thank you for your service as a LEO, you are a HERO in your community.

It is nice to hear you have a good sense of humor....my humor is senseless.

Nice to meet you and Cinderella (which used to be my CB handle),

-sailor Grin
Thank you! You are too kind. I just do a different job than everyone else. We are all heroes in different ways and in some that we may never realize. We all touch someone's lives and make differences big and small. But I appreciate the sentiment and thanks. I think the military are the heroes too.

Yah we have lots of names for that kitty - Cinderella, Cinder Elly, Cinderfella, Cinder, Cindersmelly, Mary D. Kat (vampire kitty in Hank the Cow Dog), milk kitty, Cinder Cinder, baby kitty, and probably more that I'm forgetting right now.

Anyway - thanks everyone!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
When I was there, if you were under 21 but married to someone over 21, you could legally drink if you were with them. Strange law..I took advantage of it...although most of the time, the guy I was with, wasn't my husband..Just a friend of the family. My husband was still living in Vegas at the time.

I'll have to ask my husband about the restaurants (who strangely enough, was not my husband while I was there. He was there at a different time than I was, I actually met him in Scotland..but that's a whole 'nother story) but Zentner's sounds familiar.

Now I'm hungry and want Mexican food...<sigh> there's no decent Mexican restaurants around here at all.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
luvmy4brats said:
When I was there, if you were under 21 but married to someone over 21, you could legally drink if you were with them. Strange law..I took advantage of it...although most of the time, the guy I was with, wasn't my husband..Just a friend of the family. My husband was still living in Vegas at the time.
Hmm - so you are ex or current military too? way cool! And yeh - that law is still active - figures your significant other would be responsible for your drunk butt out in public! <lol> Usually doesn't work out too well - lots of disturbances I've worked started that way. lol

I'll have to ask my husband about the restaurants (who strangely enough, was not my husband while I was there. He was there at a different time than I was, I actually met him in Scotland..but that's a whole 'nother story) but Zentner's sounds familiar.
*Scotland!* The home country dontchaknow! (i'm a half Scot and half German. Got a tartan and everything.)

Now I'm hungry and want Mexican food...<sigh> there's no decent Mexican restaurants around here at all.
There's always Taco Bell..... <runs and hides before Luv gets Leslie's shoe to throw at me...>

1 - 20 of 39 Posts