Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any of these threads pop up yet, and I don't feel like writing right now, so...

Are y'all seeing any post-holiday bounce? Did you recover from the Great Sales Blackout of '13?

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I am DOMINATING the category of most frequent cover changes.

Sales are ... meh, compared to expectations. I'm recalibrating, though. I am remembering what it was like 14 months ago, when a single sale made my day.

I'm trying to appreciate the little tiny slice of pie I am getting, and the freedom I have because I live in a time and a society where I'm allowed to write the things I do and, as a bonus, have the technology to publish them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
January is a little slower than December for me, but seeing as though it has 4 weekends in this month I am hoping it will pick up.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Presently on track to outpace December, which was the best month I've had yet. .com sales are slipping, it seems like, along with my sales ranks, but things are going super well on .uk, Nook and even Apple, more than making up for the downturn on the main Amazon store.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
RobertJCrane said:
Presently on track to outpace December, which was the best month I've had yet. .com sales are slipping, it seems like, along with my sales ranks, but things are going super well on .uk, Nook and even Apple, more than making up for the downturn on the main Amazon store.
How difficult is it to go direct with Apple? My sales through Smashwords with them have been amazing, but the slow reporting is about to drive me crazy.

·
Registered
817 Posts
MarlaB said:
How difficult is it to go direct with Apple? My sales through Smashwords with them have been amazing, but the slow reporting is about to drive me crazy.
You need to either use a Mac or macincloud.com or some form of Mac OS to upload direct to them. If you've got that, their upload program is a little unwieldy, but I was doing direct uploads in about five minutes per book once I had it down.

As a side note, you do need an ISBN to upload direct to Apple. I'm thinking about buying a thousand for my publishing company if anyone wants like 100 ISBNs for $100. Kinda seems like the best deal.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My Amazon stuff is looking about identical from December to January. Up just a little, thanks to a permafree book in the UK.

BN's identical to my December, too. Kobo is down lots because no promotions over there this month, frowny-face. Apple has become a wasteland since January 1, but I am hoping the permafree series novella I just put out will finally have something to say about that.

I'm pretty stoked to hold steady with a new release slotted for next month. Reminding myself these are the boom times of the year and I could suffer another October at any moment. :p

·
Registered
663 Posts
My Atlantis series is doing phonemically well. I'm WAY up from December's numbers and am only today seeing a slight slowdown. Unfortunately, my other books aren't selling nearly as well, but still doing well enough to feel positive about them. Yah Christmas!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
smreine said:
I haven't seen any of these threads pop up yet, and I don't feel like writing right now, so...

Are y'all seeing any post-holiday bounce? Did you recover from the Great Sales Blackout of '13?
The blackout wiped me out. Sale are down about 70%. But I've seen this before...Amazon giveth and Amazon taketh away. Really, I can't complain I had one book ranked under 3k for almost a month, that great for a kids book.

Oh, and I vote we officially adopt the name, The Great Sales Blackout of '13.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
In all seriousness, Amazon.com is slightly up, UK is slightly up, iTunes is the same, BN is about the same too, Kobo is slightly up.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
On Amazon, I'm on pace to do somewhat better than I did in last month. It's not a huge improvement, but anything is welcome after the dismal doldrums of December.

Meanwhile, I'm on pace to do my best month on B&N since September. I'm doing very well on ARe, but that's a new market for me, so my sales there may not last. Still, I'm pleased with my sales there so far. I have lots of new books up on iTunes, but since I go through Smashwords only time will tell as to how my sales are there.

Overall, I feel like my personal trend is going to be upward this month *crosses fingers*.

·
Registered
663 Posts
MJAWare said:
But I've seen this before...Amazon giveth and Amazon taketh away.
This brings up a touchy subject for me. My best seller, Tear in Time, was doing very well just before last summer. Then, Amazon deleted a couple reviews (legit by my standard, not theirs...grrr). Almost immediately, they removed my book from the great-selling "also bought" level, to a not-so-great level that basically striped away seventy-five percent of my sales.

My theory: they probably felt my book was elevated to the higher level under false pretenses. So, I'm guessing they penalized it and moved it to a less visible level.

Anyone else see this happen to their books?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
I missed something. What's the great sales blackout?
Earlier in the week (can't recall what day), the sales reports were down for most of the day--lots of missing sales. When the reports came back up there was lots of weirdness (like book, author, and sales numbers not matching up) and some (but not everyone) saw a big and sudden drop in sales.

So far no one whose sales dropped, that I know of, has recovered.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts