Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've posted comments to a few articles there, but the general consensus from the people who read Huffington Post seems to be "technology is evil" and "DRM is evil!".

Nice that there's another article though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It is fun to read about people who are so into the physical aspects of a book that they think they can't give it up, change their minds when they actually get to use a Kindle. I wouldn't give mine up for anything. My husband says he hasn't seen me turn a page yet.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'd think if they'd just try it for a few they would really love it. I had a DTB I wanted to read and the whole time I kept wishing I had it on my kindle. It was difficult to hold and since it wouldn't flatten out I had to adjust my lighting and put a pillow on my lap to hold it up but then the letters were to small. My shoulder has been hurting for about a week now and it made it even more difficult to read that it was hard to loose myself in the book. 

I was leery about getting a kindle at first because I loved the smell of a new book and pages. But I'm glad I got it and I loose myself soo much more into the story because I am not fighting to get comfortable and still able to see. Which I think is more import to the 'book experience' than actually holding a book.  in my humble opinion of course  ;D

theresam

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I am so sick of people who are reviewing them saying they need a backlight. Don't they get that a backlight eats up the battery and causes eye strain?

I get that she received this as a gift so she has done no research but is it really that hard to do some research before writing a review?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find the whole back light issue stupid also. For a woman who professed to be a great reader she should know that paper book are not back lit. What, pray tell, does she do in that case.  Right, either turn on a light or use a book light. I mean duh.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I think people have certain memes they recite without even thinking: I need backlight! I need color! Why won't Whispernet work everywhere in the world?! It gets old, fast.

L

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
ProfCrash said:
I am so sick of people who are reviewing them saying they need a backlight. Don't they get that a backlight eats up the battery and causes eye strain?

I get that she received this as a gift so she has done no research but is it really that hard to do some research before writing a review?
::) ::) On the Huffington Post? Far more ranting than research done there, on average!

*I'm going to run and hide now before BJ gets here.....*

·
Registered
260 Posts
ProfCrash said:

People think, "This is technology and all technology must light up." Stupid, stupid, stupid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Overall, I think it was a decent review.  At least it was a review from someone who actually used the Kindle (even if she couldn't get it away from her husband for long).  I think the lack of backlighting is just something that most people will only appreciate with time.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I posted a comment. I don't necessarily care that the Kindle is not for her but others who read her review are going to make a decision partially based on what she has said. I am tired of folks complaining that they put something on the screen and it broke. Well, no duh. You protect the screen on your laptop or your cell phone or your flat screen tv, why wouldn't you protect the screen on your Kindle, which is an electronic device.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Chad Winters said:
Haha!! Its like a Star Trek episode where walls of randomly blinking lights = technology. :D :D
That reminds me of a passage in the beginning of Homeland by Michael Amos.

"Countless little red and green lights picked out the shape of a bank of machinery concealed in the darkness, its constant low humming filling the gloom. Although the machinery's exact purpose remained hidden, it's undoubted technological pedigree was underlined by the fact that every once in a while, with no discernible periodicity, it went "ping". "

See? Lights and pinging = technology! :D

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Chad Winters said:
"Kindle 2.0 should come with a pinger! Why doesn't my Kindle ping"
Because Jeff Bezos has said he doesn't like machines that 'ping' or 'beep' at him. :)

Ann

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yah yah yah, the Kindle #1 is not perfect (yet). But we are the pioneers, in an effort to save the Earth, one day.... a Kindle will be a must.

Killing trees, is killing us....
I for one, feel very good about helping our environment.
And lessening, my carbon foot print.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Chad Winters said:
If you sit in a quiet room and hold your Kindle to your ear as you turn the page, it makes a cute little squeal. That good enough?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Chad Winters said:
LOL I for one enjoy the lack of sounds from my Kindle. :) I even turn the speakers off on my computer except when I want to hear something. The noise pollution we live in today is something I enjoy getting away from while I read.

I have a cube on my desk at work that beeps and flashes when you move it. One of my tests when I interview someone is to bump it, if the applicant is entranced by the flashing lights and beeps I figure they will too distracted by ephemera to do much work in our environment.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Gables Girl said:
I have a cube on my desk at work that beeps and flashes when you move it. One of my tests when I interview someone is to bump it, if the applicant is entranced by the flashing lights and beeps I figure they will too distracted by ephemera to do much work in our environment.
...or you are selecting for those who are not curious and do not respond to changing stimuli in their environment? If something starts flashing and beeping, I'm going to find out what it is.....or at least make sure it isn't going to explode!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Chad Winters said:
...or you are selecting for those who are not curious and do not respond to changing stimuli in their environment? If something starts flashing and beeping, I'm going to find out what it is.....or at least make sure it isn't going to explode!

There is wanting to know what it is and those who then stare at it for the next 5 minutes. I don't mind if they look and ask, what I care about is if they can't refocus or just keep staring at for the rest of the interview. Very little of our stuff, computers and servers, will explode, perhaps die, but not explode.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts