Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I'm sitting with the family and my wife looks over at me from the book she's reading and says, "There was this writer on NPR when I was driving home from work today - about how he made A MILLION DOLLARS on ebooks and now has a publisher putting regular books in stores all over the country."

You mean "Hugh Howey?"

"Yeah, that was him!"

"He's a really nice author --"

"Now why haven't YOU sold a million dollars in books?"

" ... "

And, Hugh Howey, see how you're just getting me in all kinds of trouble!

Keep up the great work :)

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
jvin248 said:
Last night I'm sitting with the family and my wife looks over at me from the book she's reading and says, "There was this writer on NPR when I was driving home from work today - about how he made A MILLION DOLLARS on ebooks and now has a publisher putting regular books in stores all over the country."

You mean "Hugh Howey?"

"Yeah, that was him!"

"He's a really nice author --"

"Now why haven't YOU sold a million dollars in books?"

" ... "

And, Hugh Howey, see how you're just getting me in all kinds of trouble!

Keep up the great work :)

Heh, heh. Hey, great to have a spouse who thinks you can be the next Hugh Howey. When Amazon sends me $18 in royalties, my husband is all congratulatory and astonished. ;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My family is so apathetic.

My dad is the worst. Yesterday, he asked me if I sold a book in the past month. I said "Yes, more than one." He said, "Well, that can't last."

He should have been a cheerleader....

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have to remind my family that Hugh is an outlier and that in general more indies are paying their bills than is publicized and that's success, and my goal. I'm not trying to have a bestseller (would be nice, though). I just want to pay my bills and gain some literary respect.

edited to add: My brother actually said the same thing to me: You can be like Hugh Howey! I was like yeah, okay. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think my partner has daydreams about me being like Hugh Howey, or Liliana, or Courtney etc.

..... Shhh, so do I .... ::)

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Victoria Champion said:
I have to remind my family that Hugh is an outlier and that in general more indies are paying their bills than is publicized and that's success, and my goal.
I remind everyone of the same thing. Still trying to get Amazon to announce how many people are making $500 a month from their ebooks.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hugh Howey said:
I remind everyone of the same thing. Still trying to get Amazon to announce how many people are making $500 a month from their ebooks.
The secret to Hugh's success? Cloning. He's supposed to be in San Fran, but is going to be interviewed by the LA Times in just a few minutes, and yet he's here on KBoards. Cloning. It's the only explanation.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Victoria Champion said:
I have to remind my family that Hugh is an outlier and that in general more indies are paying their bills than is publicized and that's success, and my goal.
I made that point in email to Andrew Sullivan and he posted it along with some other emails about Amazon. Not exactly the front page of the NYT, but every mention helps I think.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Saul Tanpepper said:
The secret to Hugh's success? Cloning. He's supposed to be in San Fran, but is going to be interviewed by the LA Times in just a few minutes, and yet he's here on KBoards. Cloning. It's the only explanation.
Plus on top of that he's pumping out a few thousand words a day.

You know what? The cloning theory makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Saul Tanpepper said:
Or he has a time machine. Careful with crossing over your own timeline, Hugh. I hear that can get quite wibbly-wobbly.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
jnfr said:
Hooray Lynn!
Yay, thanks!

Saul Tanpepper said:
He probably gets all his clones together for brainstorming sessions, too. That would be handy....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Shayne Parkinson said:
Or he has a time machine. Careful with crossing over your own timeline, Hugh. I hear that can get quite wibbly-wobbly.
He's not worried about that because he already knows how the future will turn out. He's been there. He's seen it himself. And he wrote it all down and is now passing it off as fiction.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
jnfr said:
Hooray Lynn!
I second this! Ok, true conversation that happened yesterday:

My 14yo son: *silence* *cuz he doesn't talk* *waiting for me to pick him up*
His friend: Is your mom writing any new books?
Son: Yeah. She has this new Debt Collector series coming out.
Friend: Cool. When are YOU going to get published?
Son: What do you mean? I have two books published.
Friend: I don't mean SELF published, I mean REAL published.
Son: I don't believe traditional publishing is superior to self-publishing.
Friend: Yeah, but you can't make any money with self-publishing.
Son: Maybe. But there are people who make millions with their self-published books.
Friend: Oh really? Name one.
Son: Hugh Howey.

Hugh's influence reaches even to the Jr. High publishing set. :)

Maybe if we keep saying it enough times, people will start believing it. You CAN make money from self-publishing. People ARE making money from self-publishing.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Shayne Parkinson said:
I PERSONALLY SAW him get in Ernie Cline's tricked out DeLorean. It COULD HAPPEN.

Dang, I should have hit the gas when *I* was in it. 88 mph! Stat!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts