Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm excited to be the moderator of Accessories and the Book Corner. I bought my Kindle at the end of October, and had a bunch of books and accessories ordered before the Kindle even arrived, so it's sort of natural that these are my boards!

As my User Name shows, I'm currently a quilter. I make art quilts and teach and lecture. My website is http://www.betsytruedesigns.com (shameless self promotion--I need the hits on my website stats!)

In my past life, I was a systems administrator and help desk person for a government office of about 900 people. Believe me, I've heard ALL the questions! I loved it. But, decided to retire early to spend time with my already retired husband and to become a full time quilter (and Kindle Board moderator).

I live in Alexandria, VA, just south of Washington, DC. I was born in DC and have lived in the 'burbs all of my life. Math & Spanish major in college. I love to travel, I love books, electronic gizmos, birding and instead of pets I have a WHOLE bunch of teddy bears.

Betsy

·
Registered
829 Posts
Congrats  Betsy!!  You will be awesome!

incidentally - my mother in law is a master quilter.  I admire the creativity and patience to make something so beautiful!!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Kirstin and Chynared, for the kind words.  I'm going to put some more stuff up on the website soon.  Kirstin, what kinds of things does your mother-in-law do?  Does she have a website?

Betsy

·
Registered
829 Posts
Betsy, she does long arm machine quilting. The machine is huge!! takes up her entire basement. Here a photo of the quilt she gave me last Christmas which I just love love love!!

I honestly don't know if she has a website... I'll have to ask. <<hanging my head in shame that I don't know this>>

·
Registered
829 Posts
I cried when I opened it...  It took me the longest time to actually put it on the bed but she was adamant that it was meant to be used.

I love your work as well!  The one with the chair - I thought it was a painting at first!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Kirstin said:
I cried when I opened it... It took me the longest time to actually put it on the bed but she was adamant that it was meant to be used.

I love your work as well! The one with the chair - I thought it was a painting at first!!
Wow...Kirstin, your quilt is absolutely beautiful!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It really is a gorgeous quilt.  It's really difficult to do a quilt like that; mixing the fabrics and making the pieces blend in the right way.  Great fabrics and colors.
Betsy

·
Registered
829 Posts
:)  Me likey.    I'd love to see more of your work.  Are you planning to post more photos on your site?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wheezie and Kirstin--

Thanks for the good words!  I'm absolutely working on updating the website with a bunch of new stuff...hopefully in a couple of weeks!

Hey, I just noticed I got my "Moderator" badge, yipppee!  (I think).  LOL!

What fun...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kirstin,
  That is one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen! I'm a pink freak and I think it is just gorgeous....a real treasure :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Kindled Spirit said:
Kirstin,
That is one of
the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen! I'm a pink freak and I think it is just gorgeous....a real treasure :)
Thanks! :) Pink, purple, blue and green are my favorite colors so this was perfect for me. I will treasure it not only for its beauty but also for the creativity and craftsmanship of it until I die. I also think it might be a pretty good sign that she either approves of or likes me.... (hopefully both).

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hi Betsy!

I took a look at your website and your quilts are just gorgeous!  What a wonderful talent you have. Gosh how I'd love to have something like that with my bassets as the subject, talk about a cherished treasure.

Kristin, your quilt is simply stunning!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kirstin said:
Thanks! :) Pink, purple, blue and green are my favorite colors so this was perfect for me. I will treasure it not only for its beauty but also for the creativity and craftsmanship of it until I die. I also think it might be a pretty good sign that she either approves of or likes me.... (hopefully both).
I have a quilt on my bed that my aunt pieced, my grandmother quilted and my mother bound for me; it is very very special!

Betsy

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I have a quilt on my bed that my aunt pieced, my grandmother quilted and my mother bound for me; it is very very special!

Betsy
We have a special quilt like that too... My hubby picked out the colors and pattern when he was about 11 years old and his grandmother pieced the top but never finished it. After we had been married almost 2 years my grandmother quilted it by hand and then it was given to us for our anniversary. We have always teased each other since that if we ever split up there would be a battle over custody of the quilt!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, Betsy -

Your quilts are awesome!  Like others have mentioned, I love the beauty and creativity that goes into making them.

I'm glad you are here for the Accessories board!  I had ordered a travel case for my Kindle and find I don't like it.  Will probably end up sending it back. 

Onward to M-edge or Oberon! 

Marci

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much, Marci!  Yes, you got the travel package with the light, right?  Too bad you didn't like it but good info for our readers.

I haven't heard of anyone NOT likeing the M-edge.

Betsy

1 - 20 of 53 Posts