Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Would you read a 25,000 word humor collection with 12 to 14 essays and think $3.99 to be a fair price?

I am about to publish a humor collection of about that size.

I was wondering if this would work, and would also like the opinion of the veteran humor writer-publishers out here. I observe that some of them have successfully published 1500-word and slightly longer humor essays for 99 cents.

Also, would it be okay to include a wide variety of humor in it, from "general" humor to slightly racy material?

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Modified this post a bit, and still looking for an answer.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Richard, I can only reply based on my own work, which is not a collection of essays, but rather a year of emails (about 80 days).  It's around 56K words, and I've had good luck with $2.99.  I've had even more luck with $0.99.  In my ever so humble opinion, $3.99 does seem a bit steep, especially for such a small book.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
172 Posts
My first book is a collection of 51 humor columns. It's a little over 41,000 words and I have it priced at $1.99. I sold some at $2.99, some at 99 cents, but for whatever reason my sales are better at $1.99. There could be many factors playing into that, though, not just pricing.

As for the range of content, I think that's totally up to you as long as prospective readers know what they're buying. You don't have to come right out and say it. You can just give examples in your description of the subjects you wrote about and people will get the idea.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Learnmegood said:
Richard, I can only reply based on my own work, which is not a collection of essays, but rather a year of emails (about 80 days). It's around 56K words, and I've had good luck with $2.99. I've had even more luck with $0.99. In my ever so humble opinion, $3.99 does seem a bit steep, especially for such a small book.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

John
Thanks. Your book looks very interesting, and I notice you are fairly high up on the list. Also love the 40 different Mothers--so you must be pretty busy on Mothers Day.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff Tompkins said:
My first book is a collection of 51 humor columns. It's a little over 41,000 words and I have it priced at $1.99. I sold some at $2.99, some at 99 cents, but for whatever reason my sales are better at $1.99. There could be many factors playing into that, though, not just pricing.

As for the range of content, I think that's totally up to you as long as prospective readers know what they're buying. You don't have to come right out and say it. You can just give examples in your description of the subjects you wrote about and people will get the idea.

Good luck!
Thanks for that, Jeff. Is it the experience of humor writers that there is a larger number of readers out there with a limited appetite for political and sexual humor? My fear is that if the audiences are very different, then those who love political, or absurdist, or sexual humor might each not be able to stomach another kind . . . with only a few ultra-tolerant people ending up as my readers.

In any case, I will be releasing the book in 2-3 days, and take a chance and see how it goes. But I will price it at $2.99 to start with. I think experimenting with a lower introductory price might help to bring in the first few readers.

As for a couple of people in here who did well with single humor essays for $0.99, I wonder how they did it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts