Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very pleased to say that the HWA Referendum that I help write with fellow members A.J. Klein and Michaelbrent Collings on including self-published work for membership qualification for both Active and Associate members has passed with a 70% to 28% margin in favor, with 2% abstaining from the vote.

Self-publishers who have generated $2000 in earnings within two years of initial publication date can qualify for Active (voting) status. Those who have earned $200 within two years of initial publication date can qualify for Associate status. More details can be found at http://horror.org/joining-the-hwa/ (please note the criteria have not yet been updated).

Let me be the first to welcome the HWA to the 21st century!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A writer would need to provide documentation of some kind to prove the earnings from a single title, yes, but we left the question of exactly what that documentation needs to be pretty open to allow for a variety of approaches.  If it were me, I'd start by providing the monthly reports Amazon provides and a summary showing how they add up to the number in question for a given title and go from there.  The Membership Committee is made up of decent folks who will work with applicants to make it as easy as possible, so it shouldn't be a hassle.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Travis - yes, it needs to be a single title that earns you $2k within 2 years of the book's initial publication.  (This was done to mirror the $2k advance rule for those working with advance-paying publishers in the traditional publishing arena.)  So if it a book suddenly spikes after the initial 2 year window, it won't count toward the requirement for active status.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Jnassise said:
I'm very pleased to say that the HWA Referendum that I help write with fellow members A.J. Klein and Michaelbrent Collings on including self-published work for membership qualification for both Active and Associate members has passed with a 78% to 28% margin in favor, with 2% abstaining from the vote.

Self-publishers who have generated $2000 in earnings within two years of initial publication date can qualify for Active (voting) status. Those who have earned $200 within two years of initial publication date can qualify for Associate status. More details can be found at http://horror.org/joining-the-hwa/ (please note the criteria have not yet been updated).

Let me be the first to welcome the HWA to the 21st century!
Congratulations!

But isn't that 108% total?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Jnassise said:
Travis - yes, it needs to be a single title that earns you $2k within 2 years of the book's initial publication. (This was done to mirror the $2k advance rule for those working with advance-paying publishers in the traditional publishing arena.) So if it a book suddenly spikes after the initial 2 year window, it won't count toward the requirement for active status.
So... no matter that a book sells, it's still not good enough to get by another (HWA) gatekeeper unless it does x-sales within x-time.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks for your hard work, Joe. I've been HWA-eligible for a little while from other stuff I've written, but now that they've approved this I'll go ahead and join. Good work, man. I appreciate what you've done here.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AngryGames said:
So... no matter that a book sells, it's still not good enough to get by another (HWA) gatekeeper unless it does x-sales within x-time.
If that's how you want to look at it, then yep, that's right.

I was pleased that a national writer's organization has stepped up and recognized self-publishing as a viable means of sustaining a professional writer's career. They might be the first one to do so and that's a big step. But hey, everybody has their own viewpoint.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Jnassise said:
If that's how you want to look at it, then yep, that's right.

I was pleased that a national writer's organization has stepped up and recognized self-publishing as a viable means of sustaining a professional writer's career. They might be the first one to do so and that's a big step. But hey, everybody has their own viewpoint.
They aren't the first, RWA did it over a year ago. But I think their $$ amount might be higher. I can't remember.

But YEAH. It's great to hear. Progress is always good.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Vivi_Anna said:
Yeah I think you're right Jana. But their $$ level was at $5k I believe. In a year?
I'm a NINC member, and while I haven't looked at the rules since I joined I don't think it was over a year. I think it's $5k over one title.

ETA to add, I was wrong. It's $5k of sales each for 2 titles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.