Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now I've figured out my husband had no plans to get me a Kindle for Christmas. Last night he was at his brother's house when I was online and noticed refurbs were available. I immediately clicked to put one in my shopping chart and the browser crashed, so I ran upstairs and did the same thing on my husband's work computer...one refurb immediately in the shopping cart. That's when I started to breathe heavy....was I making the right decision? Why was I questioning this? After all, for weeks now (after denying myself the Kindle pleasure for over a year out of self-sacrifice) I've said I'd be "like white on rice" if a Kindle could ship now. I cautiously kept the Kindle in the shopping cart and called my husband at his brother's house, a bit awkward, but I was desperate.

I told him a refurb was available and asked him if he had gotten me anything for Christmas. All I got in return were a bunch of unhelpful and incomplete answers as he was being frugal as usual and also was among relatives. Secondly he said, "Well you know our financial position." (He's self-employed and business has been slower with the economy, so we're saving not spending.) Ultimately, I could tell the decision was up to me. I began browsing all the Kindle demo videos again as if something there would put me over the edge, but I still had lingering doubts and couldn't get myself to finalize the checkout. Ultimately I decided not to buy the refurb Kindle because I didn't have a great feeling about the purchase at this time. My husband said nothing when he came home, but did seem a bit relieved when I said I hadn't purchased the Kindle.

Then I woke up this morning. What was I thinking? What was wrong with me? Was I temporarily insane? I checked the Kindle refurb status and, of course, none were available. :'(

The morning progressed and I found out two things which complicated things for me. Here I was sacrificing for myself again (with the intent of cautiously not spending) and my husband told me about two family expenditures (one in-law college graduation, one for our family Christmas) which were so generous that all my self-sacrificing seemed for naught. I wasn't jealous of the others for their gifts, but rather felt I had neglected my own desires again. It was all my fault. I was the one putting myself on the backburner....again and again....and so everyone else jumped to the head of the line. Was I being selfish to think so?

So, I'll be on Kindle watch again today, although if I would have gone ahead with my purchase last night I probably would have had my Kindle by Monday. Here were my reasons for not going ahead with the purchase. Please psychoanalyze me and tell me what you think....

1. It's not a good time financially. Business has beenmore sporadic and it's better to save. We've been able to pay the bills and want to keep it that way.
2. I just couldn't get past the mere $30 discount for a refurbished Kindle. I know it's probably good, but why $329 for a refurbished model?
3. I would buy a brand new Kindle, but why wait until March and have a Kindle 2.0 possibly launch shortly thereafter?
4. I kept watching a You Tube Kindle demo where the user stressed how he didn't like the accidental page-turning and flash between page turns and convinced myself it was better to wait for Kindle 2.0 as long as I've waited this long since the original launch.
5. If I wait for Kindle 2.0, there will likely be some enhancements or improvements.
6. It's the holidays and I should be thinking of someone other than myself.

I'm just frustrated enough over my husband's mention of the gifts for relatives and family this morning (not me), that I would put a refurb in my basket this minute....but they're not there.

Can you please help me decide? My options are refurb now (if they pop up) or wait for Kindle 2.0, as I really don't want to wait until spring to purchase the original Kindle. Thanks for reading this novel. :'(

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I feel for your plight.  I would not be afraid of a re-furb because they HAVE to bring it to as good as new standards and it still comes with the one year warranty. 

If the expense bothers you:  cut back in other ways.  Save your spare change; it adds up fast.  Sacrifice needless snacks at the market.  Don't buy that bottle of wine.  Don't do extras like nails, hair...etc.  I have no desire for v.2 and you seem to have answered your own question when you said you don't want to wait until spring.

BEST OF LUCK.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SJC -- You're keeping me on Refurb Watch....you should get Kindle Book bonuses for reading my lengthy post!  BTW, I loved your story on the other thread about the screaming woman at the restaurant.  Sounds like something I would have done, minus the high-pitched screams....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know how you feel, because even though I am thrilled that I have a Kindle waiting for me under the tree I feel guilty as well due to the cost.  DH's work hours have been cut drastically in the last month or so, and I mentioned a few times to him that perhaps it would be better to sell my gift and just get one later on.

DH basically told me that I was insane.  He reminded me that I have had a very miserable year at work and that for years we haven't exchanged gifts for each other due to finances.  He said that he had the perfect gift this year and that I was getting it no matter what at this point.  He's very rarely ever adamant about anything, so I just let the topic drop.

You know what your finances are and what you can handle.  I just cut back on other expenses for myself and that paid for my Kindle.  I figure once I'm holding it it will all be worth it!  Plus, even though sharing may be hard, I'm sure that DD will get some use from my gift as well.

I do get that feeling of waffling about an expense purchase though, I do that A LOT!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with your agreement  ;)  My fingers are twitching for a second chance, but it doesn't look good right now.  I was such a fool?!

·
Registered
795 Posts
libro said:
1. It's not a good time financially. Business has beenmore sporadic and it's better to save. We've been able to pay the bills and want to keep it that way.
2. I just couldn't get past the mere $30 discount for a refurbished Kindle. I know it's probably good, but why $329 for a refurbished model?
3. I would buy a brand new Kindle, but why wait until March and have a Kindle 2.0 possibly launch shortly thereafter?
4. I kept watching a You Tube Kindle demo where the user stressed how he didn't like the accidental page-turning and flash between page turns and convinced myself it was better to wait for Kindle 2.0 as long as I've waited this long since the original launch.
5. If I wait for Kindle 2.0, there will likely be some enhancements or improvements.
6. It's the holidays and I should be thinking of someone other than myself.
Libro,

No one can really make this decision but you. I will offer a couple of thoughts, however, because for a long time I was in the same position as you are now. I sacrificed and always put myself last, only to learn that in spite of our agreements about watching our budget closely my husband would go out and spend a lot of money on himself and members of his own family without even consulting me first. I would always tell myself I was selfish for being upset by that.....but inside I would feel really hurt by it. One of my biggest lessons over the years has been to discover that you must love yourself in order for other people to love you as well. If you don't honor and care for yourself, why should other people? This may sound selfish but I do not believe it is. If your inner child is hurting and wants really badly to have a kindle for Christmas, then love her enough to gift her with one yourself. Just the act of honoring your own needs in the same way you always take care of other's needs is important. Even more important than the gift itself.

And why is one you-tube review more important to you than the literally hundreds of rave reviews you have read on this web site? Don't forget that even with a refurb you will have thirty days to return the kindle if you discover you don't like it for any reason.

The first time I ever did something just for myself, contrary to all my expectations the world did not come crashing to an end. No one even told me I was a bad person or that they disapproved of me. Just take a deep breath and decide what you really want to do. Then do it, and don't look back.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
libro said:
SJC -- You're keeping me on Refurb Watch....you should get Kindle Book bonuses for reading my lengthy post! BTW, I loved your story on the other thread about the screaming woman at the restaurant. Sounds like something I would have done, minus the high-pitched screams....
I think you should buy the Kindle. You want it, you know you want it and you've wanted it for a long time now. Yes, money is tight and so on, but like sjc said, cut back on some other things. Don't go out to dinner, don't go to a movie. I look at the Kindle as a very good source of cheap entertainment and it is worth every penny.

L

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wisteria Clematis,

As I'm obviously searching for validation, it would seem any affirmative replies to my thread would be welcome...and they are.

Your explanation, however, really hit home with me. Every time I bypass something I've wanted for so long, I'm really not loving myself.

And I do get "mad" (in quotes because it's so truly displaced!) at DH when he goes out and spends on himself or others. I should be angry at myself. Better yet, I should just be true to myself!

Well said....thanks :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
Libro,

No one can really make this decision but you. I will offer a couple of thoughts, however, because for a long time I was in the same position as you are now. I sacrificed and always put myself last, only to learn that in spite of our agreements about watching our budget closely my husband would go out and spend a lot of money on himself and members of his own family without even consulting me first. I would always tell myself I was selfish for being upset by that.....but inside I would feel really hurt by it. One of my biggest lessons over the years has been to discover that you must love yourself in order for other people to love you as well. If you don't honor and care for yourself, why should other people? This may sound selfish but I do not believe it is. If your inner child is hurting and wants really badly to have a kindle for Christmas, then love her enough to gift her with one yourself. Just the act of honoring your own needs in the same way you always take care of other's needs is important. Even more important than the gift itself.
Thank you. I was trying to figure out how to say something like that and you did it more eloquently than I ever could.

L

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leslie,

You know more than anyone what I bypassed last night!  Now I'll be on Refurb Watch all day today.  BTW, if I click on the refurb link above if one becomes available, does KindleBoards.com receive the affiliate credit?  

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
libro said:
Leslie,

You know more than anyone what I bypassed last night! Now I'll be on Refurb Watch all day today. BTW, if I click on the refurb link above if one becomes available, does KindleBoards.com receive the affiliate credit?
Yes, I believe so.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
libro, my husband is not allowed to tell me I can't buy something.  I'm also not allowed to tell him he can't buy something.  We have an unofficial limit of $75 to $100 -- neither of us will spend more than that without checking with the other.  This is mostly just to make sure we don't both buy big ticket items the same month and have CC payment issues -- I just HATE finance charges!  When we both want something big at the same time, we negotiate to decide which to buy first so as to keep cash flow intact.

I do not know your financial situation nor do I know which of you handles bills and stuff.  But I would suggest, if it is not already the case, that you look at your budget together.  Sometimes there is no leftover money for "like to haves" because there are so many "gotta pays", but unless you sit down and look critically at how and when your money comes in and where it goes you won't have a clue.  I do income taxes for people and it is sad and frightening when one spouse comes in after the other has died, or in the midst of a divorce, and has No Idea what his or her financial situation is.  So if you Really Want a Kindle, sit down with him, look at the finances together, and work out how you can get it.

Remember too, he could be giving an Oscar quality performance, so I'd probably leave it until after Christmas.

Good Luck!

Ann

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I say get it because:

1. you deserve it.

2. you earned it.

3. it's easier to ask for forgiveness that permission.

If the shoe was on the other foot and he wanted it would you so no?.

And it he did get you one Christmas , you can always send one back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From the point of view of a disabled person, count your blessings, love yourself enough to make yourself happy, to be able to do something that you really want to do, these are enough reasons you should, of course, buy yourself the Kindle  I really love mine it has helped me no end and I am  pleased with myself that I went ahead and did it.  Everyone or everyone I know is dealing with a tight budget but the happiness you will get from the Kindle and all the free books out there on the net is worth it.  Good luck. :-*

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GrandmaReader -- Thanks for the support.  I need every little push  :D

Please have Rosie give you special doggie hugs from me!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ive read 35 books in the 3 months ive had mine and most all of them have been free so i figure its pretty much paid for itself already. From now on i'll just be saving money. Thats just another way to look at it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lizzy -- So true.  I just slapped myself and rechecked the Kindle Refurbs banner at the top of the screen!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
libro,
you are not a fool!  You are a caring wife that respects what your family needs.  But I do agree that there are times when we as wives and mothers deny ourselves even the simpliest of pleasures, while our spouses don't do the denying on the same level.  I was often criticized when i bought anything involving cross stitch.  I acquiesced on many of those occasions to keep peace.  Needless to say, after my divorce I went crazy buying cross stitch items without guilt!  
And I agree with the saving your change idea.  My boyfriend kept bugging me to save my change.  I never did.  I read about Coinstar on here, started saving, and before I knew it I had 47.00.  I was shocked.  
Good luck with your decision.  We will help you with the refurb watch.  
debbie

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
drenee said:
Needless to say, after my divorce I went crazy buying cross stitch items without guilt!
Debbie: Shame on you for cross stitching?! ;) Seriously, I can relate!

I always say that DH knew when he married me I had several filled bookcases....he knew was he was getting into!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts