Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost my mind and am headed to the poor house...and you all are to blame (well, not directly but I am going to share the blame with all of you anyway, LOL)

"Debra's Precious" was delivered by Big Brown on April 8th and was quickly loaded up with my favorite (free) classics that I learned where to find from reading these boards. Thanks to peer pressure (again, from reading these boards of course) I have already dressed Debra's Precious in a classic Decalgirl "cocktail dress" (aka: Paper Cut design skin) and wrapped her in a luxurious Roof of Heaven (saddle) overcoat (aka: journal cover). She is wearing an Amazon leather cover "girdle" slipped inside the RoH journal because well....I will let Debra's Precious explain:

"I haven’t left the house without the Amazon patent-pending hinge on these thighs since I was 14." and of course you all will agree that is because I am bringing her up right ;)

(If you are not a Steel Magnolias fan this quote will make absolutely NO sense to you, and you will be sending the men with butterfly nets to my house)

Anyway.....you want to know how crazy I have become? I have set my alarm an hour earlier in the morning so that I can read the NYT and USA Today before heading to work (granted, work is down a flight of stairs to my home office but I still need to get that early morning reading time in)

For those who argue over the economics of purchasing a Kindle and/or how long it takes to recoup the initial investment all I can share is that I used to devour books. My mother would be furious because no matter where she hid the flashlights I would find them and sneak them into my room at night so that I could read under the covers. I inhaled books. My husband and I about needed a second moving truck just for our books each time we had to relocate. About ten years ago my eyes started getting worse and worse and the bifocals became coke bottles in frames but I still could not read for more than half an hour without the eye strain just knocking me out. I needed to save my eyes for the classroom (I was a teacher) and pleasure reading became something I could only indulge in occasionally. Nine days ago when I turned the Kindle on for the first time and changed the font to the second largest size I literally wept tears of joy. At that moment the cost was recouped. I am once again inhaling books, devouring newspapers and snacking on magazines. The Kindle is a God sent for those of us with young spirits but old eyes.

I do want to let all of you know that I have been an active posting member on many forums, websites, blogs and boards since the time of Moses (PC stood for "Papyrus Cuneiform" and you increased Internet speed by pulling a bit tighter on the tin cans and string back then... really, would I lie?...LOL) and this has to be the friendliest, most positive community I have had the pleasure of lurking around. My sanity and wallet might be taking a hit though......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff said:
Sadly, I haven't a clue about the meaning of your quotation but I do understand your infatuation with your Kindle and this group. Welcome.
It is a take of one of my favorite, albeit, snarky quotes from "Steel Magnolias" which is a great movie, but definitely a "chick flick":

Truvy: Clairee, you know I'd rather walk on my lips than criticize anybody...but...Janice Van Meter…

Clairee: I know...

Truvy: I bet you money she's paid $500 for that dress and doesn't even bother to wear a girdle.

Clairee: It's like two pigs fighting under a blanket.

Truvy: Well, I haven't left the house without lycra on these thighs since I was 14.

Clairee: That's because you were brought up right.

My hubby runs for the hills when I reach for the DVD. Thank you for the welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,811 Posts
Welcome new Kindle member & as I already read..continue to enjoy your Kindle & post here.  :) Once you get the Kindle, it then becomes an obsession to accessorize it & carry it in whatever Kindle friendly bag or handbag that we can find. It's so much fun. Forget about going broke....we all are, or at least some of us are. LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
At least you have some people to share your pain and your pleasure! all of us know what you are talking about, we go through the same things.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
NY2Ks,

congratulations on your Kindle and on your first posts!  Welcome to Kindleboards, I think you're going to fit in just fine here!  Sounds like you've found Accessories and the Book Corner already!  Don't forget the other areas of our forum, Tips Tricks & Troubleshooting and Let's Talk Kindle, where you can learn a lot about using your Kindle, and Not Quite Kindle, where you can talk about just about anything!  (We've got a movie thread going hot and heavy right now that you might like--Worst Movie Ever"

Welcome again and thanks for the kind words about KindleBoards!

Betsy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
NY2Ks,

congratulations on your Kindle and on your first posts! Welcome to Kindleboards, I think you're going to fit in just fine here! Sounds like you've found Accessories and the Book Corner already! Don't forget the other areas of our forum, Tips Tricks & Troubleshooting and Let's Talk Kindle, where you can learn a lot about using your Kindle, and Not Quite Kindle, where you can talk about just about anything! (We've got a movie thread going hot and heavy right now that you might like--Worst Movie Ever"

Welcome again and thanks for the kind words about KindleBoards!

Betsy
Yes, and someone posted Steel Magnolias as one of their worst movies! LOL

Welcome, NY, you are going to fit in just fine here...

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
Leslie said:
Yes, and someone posted Steel Magnolias as one of their worst movies! LOL
WHAT? That is sacrilege!!!

Steel Magnolias is a classic!

PS: I love KB and all accessories Kindle. I am currrently addicted to JD Robb's "...In Death" series and I would NEVER have picked up the first book without the recommendation of fellow KBers. Thanks Luv and Betsy!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
ny2ks said:
I have lost my mind and am headed to the poor house...and you all are to blame (well, not directly but I am going to share the blame with all of you anyway, LOL)

"Debra's Precious" was delivered by Big Brown on April 8th and was quickly loaded up with my favorite (free) classics that I learned where to find from reading these boards. Thanks to peer pressure (again, from reading these boards of course) I have already dressed Debra's Precious in a classic Decalgirl "cocktail dress" (aka: Paper Cut design skin) and wrapped her in a luxurious Roof of Heaven (saddle) overcoat (aka: journal cover). She is wearing an Amazon leather cover "girdle" slipped inside the RoH journal because well....I will let Debra's Precious explain:

"I haven’t left the house without the Amazon patent-pending hinge on these thighs since I was 14." and of course you all will agree that is because I am bringing her up right ;)

(If you are not a Steel Magnolias fan this quote will make absolutely NO sense to you, and you will be sending the men with butterfly nets to my house)

Anyway.....you want to know how crazy I have become? I have set my alarm an hour earlier in the morning so that I can read the NYT and USA Today before heading to work (granted, work is down a flight of stairs to my home office but I still need to get that early morning reading time in)

For those who argue over the economics of purchasing a Kindle and/or how long it takes to recoup the initial investment all I can share is that I used to devour books. My mother would be furious because no matter where she hid the flashlights I would find them and sneak them into my room at night so that I could read under the covers. I inhaled books. My husband and I about needed a second moving truck just for our books each time we had to relocate. About ten years ago my eyes started getting worse and worse and the bifocals became coke bottles in frames but I still could not read for more than half an hour without the eye strain just knocking me out. I needed to save my eyes for the classroom (I was a teacher) and pleasure reading became something I could only indulge in occasionally. Nine days ago when I turned the Kindle on for the first time and changed the font to the second largest size I literally wept tears of joy. At that moment the cost was recouped. I am once again inhaling books, devouring newspapers and snacking on magazines. The Kindle is a God sent for those of us with young spirits but old eyes.

I do want to let all of you know that I have been an active posting member on many forums, websites, blogs and boards since the time of Moses (PC stood for "Papyrus Cuneiform" and you increased Internet speed by pulling a bit tighter on the tin cans and string back then... really, would I lie?...LOL) and this has to be the friendliest, most positive community I have had the pleasure of lurking around. My sanity and wallet might be taking a hit though......
This was a truly WONDERFUL post...one which I very much enjoyed reading. I hope you stay around (and not simply as a lurker) for a very long time.

And I LOVED Steel Magnolias...the characters, the message...everything about it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,460 Posts
Leslie said:
Yes, and someone posted Steel Magnolias as one of their worst movies! LOL

Welcome, NY, you are going to fit in just fine here...

L
I thought that was Magnolia with Tom Cruise not Steel Magnolias with Tom Skerritt? ::)

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
ny2ks said:
I have lost my mind and am headed to the poor house...and you all are to blame (well, not directly but I am going to share the blame with all of you anyway, LOL)

"Debra's Precious" was delivered by Big Brown on April 8th and was quickly loaded up with my favorite (free) classics that I learned where to find from reading these boards. Thanks to peer pressure (again, from reading these boards of course) I have already dressed Debra's Precious in a classic Decalgirl "cocktail dress" (aka: Paper Cut design skin) and wrapped her in a luxurious Roof of Heaven (saddle) overcoat (aka: journal cover). She is wearing an Amazon leather cover "girdle" slipped inside the RoH journal because well....I will let Debra's Precious explain:

"I haven’t left the house without the Amazon patent-pending hinge on these thighs since I was 14." and of course you all will agree that is because I am bringing her up right ;)

(If you are not a Steel Magnolias fan this quote will make absolutely NO sense to you, and you will be sending the men with butterfly nets to my house)

Anyway.....you want to know how crazy I have become? I have set my alarm an hour earlier in the morning so that I can read the NYT and USA Today before heading to work (granted, work is down a flight of stairs to my home office but I still need to get that early morning reading time in)

For those who argue over the economics of purchasing a Kindle and/or how long it takes to recoup the initial investment all I can share is that I used to devour books. My mother would be furious because no matter where she hid the flashlights I would find them and sneak them into my room at night so that I could read under the covers. I inhaled books. My husband and I about needed a second moving truck just for our books each time we had to relocate. About ten years ago my eyes started getting worse and worse and the bifocals became coke bottles in frames but I still could not read for more than half an hour without the eye strain just knocking me out. I needed to save my eyes for the classroom (I was a teacher) and pleasure reading became something I could only indulge in occasionally. Nine days ago when I turned the Kindle on for the first time and changed the font to the second largest size I literally wept tears of joy. At that moment the cost was recouped. I am once again inhaling books, devouring newspapers and snacking on magazines. The Kindle is a God sent for those of us with young spirits but old eyes.

I do want to let all of you know that I have been an active posting member on many forums, websites, blogs and boards since the time of Moses (PC stood for "Papyrus Cuneiform" and you increased Internet speed by pulling a bit tighter on the tin cans and string back then... really, would I lie?...LOL) and this has to be the friendliest, most positive community I have had the pleasure of lurking around. My sanity and wallet might be taking a hit though......
And don't forget, ny2ks, 'the thing that separates mankind from the animals is the ability to accessorize'. (also Steel Magnolias) ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,047 Posts
Nice to have you enter the asylum ny2ks, you are going to fit just fine here.  However, I have not accessorized and really don't plan on it, but you never know what's gonna happen down the road.  You might as well decide to quit all your other boards because this one is addictive.  :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
I'm another one that immediately got the Steel Magnolias reference, while laughing all the way!  Delightful way to adapt one of my many favorite quotes from the movie. :)

Welcome, and be prepared to be enabled!  I ordered my ROH Oberon cover last week, and will be ordering a skin as soon as it arrives and I see what version of purple I get.  And as soon as I decide on a skin.  And then there will be deciding on the Borsa Bella bag next, in order to protect the Oberon cover, of course.  This is a dangerous but wonderful place!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top