Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always said that I preferred holding a real, physical book, to the idea of an e-reader. But now that I have my Paperwhite, I have changed my view. The other night, I downloaded the complete works of Shakespeare on a device that is smaller and lighter than a paperback! And I just found a book on Amazon, clicked, and it appeared on my Kindle. This is wonderful!

·
5,945 Posts
I hate to say 'I told you so' but I'm pretty sure I did!  ;D

I'm glad it's working out for you - happy Kindling!

·
Super Moderator
67,392 Posts
There was a girl on metro this afternoon who'd apparently just gotten in by plain and was going to her hotel on the train.  She was re-arranging her baggage. . . . books for the flight back into the main bag so as not to clutter her purse.  She had 3 books -- one something in French, one a translation dictionary, and one other that was something else shorter in French.  I couldn't help but think, "If you had a kindle you could carry all of that in one device."

The translation dictionary was pretty thick, too. . . . .

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Yay—another Kindle convert! Glad you're enjoying your new Paperwhite, kindlematt. :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Welcome to the World Of Kindle, my friend.
Nice to have you. :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am in love with my Kindle Paperwhite! I've had it since it was released, and I love it more all the time! Today I was working on getting my kindle keyboard set up for my mother....I almost feel guilty giving it to her, as the Paperwhite is so much better!  It was my first e-ink reader, and it will be her first e-ink reader, too! She will greatly appreciate the text to speech and audio capabilities on it. I loved my KB when I first got it (Nov 2010) but the Paperwhite is just SO awesome.

11 Posts
I feel the same way.  Was very hesitant to get a Kindle.  I love books and felt it would take away from the experience.  I have the original Kindle.  I got it for Christmas about 4 years ago.  I absolutely fell in love with it.  The only problem....I read so much more, because it is so convenient to get new books, so I definitely spend a lot more money on books now.

·
Registered
913 Posts
kindlematt said:
And I just found a book on Amazon, clicked, and it appeared on my Kindle. This is wonderful!
Congrats on your Kindle Matt - glad to hear you are loving your new baby! I received my first Kindle back in 2009 and it was love at first read. I haven't looked back since. You'll enjoy Kboards - great place for information and just the best people anywhere.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I will never forget my first time finishing a book and instantly being able to buy the next in the series.  Or the first time I woke up to find a book I preordered on my Kindle the day it was released.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
chilady1 said:
Congrats on your Kindle Matt - glad to hear you are loving your new baby! I received my first Kindle back in 2009 and it was love at first read. I haven't looked back since. You'll enjoy Kboards - great place for information and just the best people anywhere.
Same here. My first was a Kindle 2, given to me by my daughters and husband for Mother's Day, 2009, and I have now worked my way up to a Paperwhite, which I think is the best yet. In fact, I don't see how Amazon can add anything to make the experience better than what I have with my Paperwhite.

As for real book vs. ebook, I felt as many of you did in the beginning. Having been an avid read all of my life, I couldn't imagine not holding, feeling, and smelling a "real" book. The ability to carry around hundreds of my favorite (or soon-to-be favorite) books far outweighs the "real" book advantages. Don't get me wrong. I still have plenty of "real" books, but I seldom read them. (Cookbooks are the exception. I love the physical books, but usually have the ebook version, as well, so that I can use them while I cook.)

Happy Paperwhite reading! Welcome to the best board (full of kindred souls) on the Internet!

·
5,945 Posts
Javier Gimenez Sasieta said:
congrats!

My main complain about the kindle is the text format... Why lines are not justified?

Apart from that, the ability to download books directly from the device is superb!
The text is justified on my Kindles - what model are you using?

·
Super Moderator
67,392 Posts
I think whether text is justified may depend on how the publisher formatted it. I just did a random check of a bunch of different books, all purchased from Amazon, on my basic Kindle: they were all justified.

Ones that I sent myself from elsewhere were NOT, necessarily -- so that might be a function of the conversion process.

FWIW, if the lines are not justified, it will be less noticeable on smaller font sizes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts