Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one will ever get my K1 from me now. The K2 has slightly lighter print. That would be very bad for me as I have some vision problems. The next page button is harder to push. Some people may like this, but I don't. I like that I can easily flick my finger and change a page. That is, however, not the big problem. The lighter print would be a big problem for me. I assumed I would pass on the K2 but get the K3. Now I even doubt that. The most important thing is readability. It seems to me that K1 wins on readability, and that's the whole purpose of the ebook reader.

Steve

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The lighter print really isn't noticeable unless you put the Kindles side by side and look closely, and really then only on the two smallest font sizes. I wouldn't say the Next Page button is harder to push, you are merely pushing towards the center vs. away from it.

Before the K2 arrived today, I was certain I was going to keep the K1 as well.... now I am not so sure.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
The lighter print really isn't noticeable unless you put the Kindles side by side and look closely, and really then only on the two smallest font sizes. I wouldn't say the Next Page button is harder to push, you are merely pushing towards the center vs. away from it.
^^what she said^^

The next page button isn't harder to push. It's just harder to accidentally turn the page since it turns inward (It seems just as natural to push as the K1..I just push straight down on either one)

I read with the text size on 4 (5 if I'm really tired). The only reason I noticed that the k2 was lighter was because they were side by side. The text is crystal clear and I have no problems reading it at all. As a matter of fact, I'm finding it easier to read on the K2 because the text is much more crisp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
The text is crystal clear and I have no problems reading it at all. As a matter of fact, I'm finding it easier to read on the K2 because the text is much more crisp.
And they also improved the text layout, the line spacing looks much better than on the K1...

Dirk

·
Registered
501 Posts
dflachbart said:
And they also improved the text layout, the line spacing looks much better than on the K1...

Dirk
First I've read about that - could you explain? Could anyone post side-by-side photos?

All of you fortunate, enthusiastic K2 owners are making me "feel the pull!" ;D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
dflachbart said:

Dirk
I love the wide-ish line spacing on the K1. Are you saying the line spacing is narrower on the K2? I would hate that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are they both set on the same font-size? It looks like the K2's on a smaller font size which leads to less vertical space between lines. If it is the same font size, then I'm glad I stuck with the K1.

·
Registered
501 Posts
dflachbart said:
Here's the comparison, text size is the same on both:

Interesting - at what text size settings do you have them both set? The K1's screen is a little more magnified, but looking at the last paragraph, they're either using different text sizes or different fonts, since the lines don't match up.

Looking at these 2 samples, the K2 looks easier to read, but I'd like to see the K1 drop down 1 text size to read.

·
Registered
615 Posts
dflachbart said:
Here's the comparison, text size is the same on both:
Yes, the K1 screen size for the results here is quite a bit larger, as taken by the camera.

But the relative dimness of the words in the K2 looks to be a function of the 16-shade grayscale in that both the book titles are dimmer because of the shade thing, and for some reason BLACK is *not* chosen for this book for the text and it shows up in the K2. Have you put the camera on something to get a sharp picture of each? A tripod or maybe a chair? I do prefer smaller characters and less line space in between but I don't like that the letters are less black.

Also, the picture is not really clear for the K2 (look at the titles in both on the word 'Earth' -- there is smearing in the K2 version due to slight camera movement or point of focus).

Thanks for this first effort! Great idea.

POOR authors. They've lost their chance to burn their names on our minds with each page.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can someone else take side by side confirming photos. If this is correct, K1 looks much easier to read.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Here's my mediocre attempt at side-by-side pictures, taken on the fly, in my office, with an iphone camera. The one thing I can confirm is that the text is on the same page in each, font size 4.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The K2's text is way dimmer and smaller. And the screen is much smaller too. Don't amazon know how important large, readable text is to many of their customers and potential customers? Smaller AND dimmer?  Hard to believe they could be this tone deaf (so to speak)...

Sorry, I guess I should reserve judgment until I've gotten mine later today. Maybe the picture made it seem worse than it is.

Note to self: wait for proper reviews and screenshots before becoming an early adopter! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Leslie said:
Here's my mediocre attempt at side-by-side pictures, taken on the fly, in my office, with an iphone camera. The one thing I can confirm is that the text is on the same page in each, font size 4.
Thanks, this pic makes the k2's text look better to my eyes. And I think I had the first guy's pics mixed up (thought the k2 was the k1 and visa versa). I don't know, I'll shut up now until I get mine. :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The screen is the same size on both of them. The K2 has rounded corners on the inside which makes it look different, but they are the same size.

As for darker or dimmer, I am reading both my Kindles right now and they are essentially the same to my eyes, in the light of my kitchen.

L

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My K1 is 'new' enough I didn't want to upgrade to K2.  But when the next upgrade comes out, I'll be the first in line.  It is always difficult to tell with photos, but the K1 still appears easier to read. JMO.  Having said all that I feel a little left out not having a K2 to be excited about.  :p  Regardless of version, Kindle is still the best gift I have ever given myself.  Way kewl!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I never had a K1 the new font/text/background/spacing wouldn't bother me.  I was showing my husband the difference this morning and he noticed right away that the K2 was more difficult to read.  Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone else noticed so I would know if mine was defective.  I was so excited to get the new one, but I really think I'm going to return it and keep the K1. 

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No offense to the folks who took the pictures so far. I thank you for the attempt. We need someone who can take good clear shots under identical conditions. Not both in one photo, the focus is never the same on the 2 units. We need a photo of K1 with a specific font size and book, and then the exact same conditions (preferably including the same book page) for K2, with the same focus and distance from the unit. Thanks to you all.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts