Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on line today and noticed that eharlequin is giving away a free book everyday until January 2nd. I thought maybe I could try one and see.
Here's the problem:
They use either: 1) adobe reader 2) microsoft reader or 3) mobipocket reader. Ok. Am I just dense or can these only be read on your computer? I can't seem to figure out how to get it over to my Kindle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
soapy70 said:
Here's the problem:
They use either: 1) adobe reader 2) microsoft reader or 3) mobipocket reader. Ok. Am I just dense or can these only be read on your computer? I can't seem to figure out how to get it over to my Kindle. Any ideas?
You can read the Mobipocket format on your Kindle. Just download it to you computer then upload it to your Kindle via USB.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
You can read Mobipocket as long as it is not secure. Soapy, if you give me a link, I'll try to download a book and report back.

L

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
The Mobipocket version is secure.  See this on the free book page:

Mobipocket eBook
Protected content: Mobipocket "PID" required to open the eBook
Device Restrictions: Usable on up to 3 supported devices (PC or PDA)

If you've gone through any of the various methods to obtain your Kindle PID, you may be able to get it to work. I've never had any luck with those, myself. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of the easiest things to do is download the pdf file, send it to your Kindle email and, within seconds, you should have it on your Kindle.  Works like a charm for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the pdf file but that didn't work either. I received an email back stating it was not one of the supported documents. I have sent pdf's to my kindle before so I thought there was something wrong there too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite alright Jeff. Just didn't think it would be a problem to get a free book. Can always read it on my computer if worse comes to worse. Not! ;)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
There is a free book on the Random House website that also has DRM protection.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Sorry I took so long to get back to you, Soapy. It does appear that the book is secure and you won't be able to put it on your Kindle. I downloaded the Mobipocket version and it opened right up in the mobipocket reader. If the PDF is not converting, I suspect that means it has the DRM, too.

Too bad this can't be finagled onto a Kindle.

L

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's alright Leslie. I appreciate everyone's help. I guess it was not meant to be. Bummer.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I tested this out today, and I am appalled. You have to give eHarlequin your name and address, which didn't make me happy, but OK, they can spam me a little. I then downloaded the "PDF" version of the "free" ebook. This downloads an ETF file, which is really a pointer to the actual file. I opened this in Adobe Acrobat, which then downloaded the PDF ebook, which then went through some riggamarole and then sent me to the Adobe DRM Activator site, where apparently I am to install something that will "activate" my software.

I could read the book from Acrobat, but I cannot save it as another format, and the PDF would not open in Stanza.

This is one of the reasons it is taking so long for ebooks to go mainstream. If you have to go through this kind of inane process just to put one one your chosen device, it turns people off.

Welcome to the Adobe DRM Activator Site said:
To view protected PDF files such as Digital Editions, you must first activate your Adobe® Reader® or Acrobat® software. Activation is a one-time process and will enable you to view and share Digital Editions on multiple computers or mobile devices.

To identify yourself for activation, you must sign in using your Adobe ID. You have an Adobe ID if you have shopped in the Adobe Store or used Adobe Online Services.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Aren't the Microsoft Reader files in .LIT format? If so, you might be able to convert those using the AdLib (?) program. I used to read those on my iPaq, but they may also be DRM for certain books.

My PC died yesterday, so I don't have the application or link right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts