Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The general consensus in the Writer's Café seems to be that buying a Kindle is a good investment for ebook writers, as it allows them to verify that their ebooks are formatted correctly before being distributed to readers. And for this very reason, I bought a Kindle Keyboard.

However, I'm writing 'how to' ebooks for college students—a demographic where the iPad/iPhone seems to be much more widely-used than the Kindle.

I already have an iPod Touch (that's an iPhone without the 'phone' part) which runs Apple's "iBook" eReader app. But as you'd imagine, its small screen doesn't render ebooks in the same way as the much larger screen of an iPad.

So here's my quandary: Is it worth spending £400 on an iPad to preview the ebooks that I want to upload to the iBookstore? If it's essential, I'm happy to make the investment. But I don't want to spend such a significant chunk of cash, only to regret it later.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
JRHenderson said:
The general consensus in the Writer's Café seems to be that buying a Kindle is a good investment for ebook writers, as it allows them to verify that their ebooks are formatted correctly before being distributed to readers. And for this very reason, I bought a Kindle Keyboard.

However, I'm writing 'how to' ebooks for college students-a demographic where the iPad/iPhone seems to be much more widely-used than the Kindle.

I already have an iPod Touch (that's an iPhone without the 'phone' part) which runs Apple's "iBook" eReader app. But as you'd imagine, its small screen doesn't render ebooks in the same way as the much larger screen of an iPad.

So here's my quandary: Is it worth spending £400 on an iPad to preview the ebooks that I want to upload to the iBookstore? If it's essential, I'm happy to make the investment. But I don't want to spend such a significant chunk of cash, only to regret it later.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! :)
You don't need the latest iPad, in fact as many more of the earlier models are in use an older one would be better. They are quite inexpensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DarkScribe said:
You don't need the latest iPad, in fact as many more of the earlier models are in use an older one would be better. They are quite inexpensive.
That's very true, DarkScribe. The iPad 2 is still available and I had favoured that model, as it would replicate the user experience of those readers with an older tablet.

But a friend pointed out that an iPad 2 would be obsolete sooner than the latest model, which is something to consider if I want to use the iPad for 'computing duties' in addition to being an eReader. :-\

Ahhh, what to do....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
JRHenderson said:
The general consensus in the Writer's Café seems to be that buying a Kindle is a good investment for ebook writers, as it allows them to verify that their ebooks are formatted correctly before being distributed to readers. And for this very reason, I bought a Kindle Keyboard.

However, I'm writing 'how to' ebooks for college students-a demographic where the iPad/iPhone seems to be much more widely-used than the Kindle.

I already have an iPod Touch (that's an iPhone without the 'phone' part) which runs Apple's "iBook" eReader app. But as you'd imagine, its small screen doesn't render ebooks in the same way as the much larger screen of an iPad.

So here's my quandary: Is it worth spending £400 on an iPad to preview the ebooks that I want to upload to the iBookstore? If it's essential, I'm happy to make the investment. But I don't want to spend such a significant chunk of cash, only to regret it later.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! :)
You can deduct an iPad on your taxes if you register with your local government as a small business. It's not expensive ($75 for me) and the deductions are well worth it. Last year I bought a Kindle and a Nook for the reasons you mentioned and got the money back in my tax refund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
To make it all the more confusing ... the problem with the current Ipad is that it was sort of a slight upgrade, over the one they had just released as an upgrade to the iPad2.  They may be coming out with a new model very soon in this new year. I would almost get the 2 or wait for the next one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,688 Posts
Of course you should get the iPad. It's a wonderful excuse. I bought an iMac because we have to use an Apple to upload to iTunes. That excuse was a gift. God Bless Apple's exclusivity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the replies, sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner...

HAGrant said:
You can deduct an iPad on your taxes if you register with your local government as a small business.
Hi there, HAGrant. Yes, like you, I'm already registered as self-employed here in the UK, so everything that I buy for the business is exempt from taxation. Which is good! :)

Katie Elle said:
It's a ludicrously overpriced toy. Don't bother. (Yes, I have one, if I paid for it rather than work I would be homocidal.) Download the Kindle downloadable previewer.
Masha du Toit said:
As Katie suggests, the kindle previewer software will do the same. It has settings for iPad too, so you can check what your book would look like on that device.
Katie, Masha: I don't need the Kindle previewer as I've already bought a Kindle Keyboard. Previewing mobi files is taken care of. I need to preview ePub files destined for Apple's iBookstore, especially as my books will contain graphics and possibly video. I could preview them on my iPod Touch-but with such a small screen, it can't show me how the book would appear to an iPad owner.

Terrence OBrien said:
Of course you should get the iPad. It's a wonderful excuse. I bought an iMac because we have to use an Apple to upload to iTunes. That excuse was a gift. God Bless Apple's exclusivity.
Terrence, I'll take that as a 'yes' vote! :)

whatdanwrote said:
To make it all the more confusing ... the problem with the current Ipad is that it was sort of a slight upgrade, over the one they had just released as an upgrade to the iPad2. They may be coming out with a new model very soon in this new year. I would almost get the 2 or wait for the next one.
Dan, you're absolutely right; the newest iPad upgrade is usually announced in the month of March, which isn't too far away. However, since I really just want one as an eBook previewer, I'm more interested in "lowest price" than "newest/best features".

For this reason, I was going to follow DarkScribe's/Dan's advice and just buy an iPad 2. In fact, I was in my local Apple dealer only yesterday, comparing specs and thinking about handing over my credit card. More indecision meant that I walked out empty-handed.

But this morning, I was reading thru Amanda Brice's "Should I buy a used Mac?" thread, when I stumbled upon Elle Casey's advice: take a look at the Apple Refurb Store. Of course! I'd forgotten all about refurbs...

iPad 4 (at local Apple dealer) = £400
iPad 2 (at local Apple dealer) = £330
iPad 3 (at Apple refurb store) = £315

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner! 8)

Thanks once again for all of your advice-and especially to Elle! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
I don't think an ipad is necessary, however, since I got one to read all the ebooks I want (that are not just on Amazon), I later found that the ibooks app is pretty useful when proofreading. The kindle's app can highlight and make notes, but the ibooks one is much prettier--it has different colors so you can color code different aspects to edit, and it has seven fonts you can change. I use both to proofread so I can read the story in various formats.

But...there are still numerous mistakes in my story when I sent it to my editor, so take my advice with a grain of salt  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,622 Posts
How about bribing someone you know that has an ipad with a copy of your book and have them make screenshots there?  ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
I realize you bought the Kindle but you don't need it for previewing. The Kindle Preview app works great and it lets you preview for every Kindle device: Touch, Paperwhite, Fire, Fire HD, iOS Kindle App, etc. I would use the previewer app in addition to your Kindle, just to be safe and make sure it looks right on the Kindle Fire.

iTunes Connect offers a download for an iBooks Previewer. I've never used this since I have an iPad and an iPod Touch. The models of iPad will not affect how your ePub displays.

B&N offers a preview during the upload stage as does Kindle Direct. You can also use those.

A good, validated ePub that works on one device should work on them all. I trust mobi less in this regard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
In our house we have:

2 desktop windows computers. 
2 laptops 1 windows, 1 mac
2 Ipads.
1 Nook color
1 Kindle fire
2 Iphone 4's

Is there a name for the sickness I have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,077 Posts
Are problems with the ipad common? I have gotten the impression that epubs were a little less subject to problems than the different Amazon devices. (Don't get me wrong, you'll take my PaperWhite when you pry it from my cold dead hands.) There's offline readers from B&N, Kobo, and of course Adobe Digital Editions, plus Sigil and that you can validate the epub through a couple of different validators.

The only epub problem I've ever found, other than validation metadata errors, was some devices don't handle double paragraph returns well, depending on how you generate them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,622 Posts
gljones said:
In our house we have:

2 desktop windows computers.
2 laptops 1 windows, 1 mac
2 Ipads.
1 Nook color
1 Kindle fire
2 Iphone 4's

Is there a name for the sickness I have?
I don't know but I have the same... ;D

3 laptops (mine)
1 laptop (my husband)
1 old laptop that will go to the kids once reinstalled
1 Kindle Paperwhite
1 plain Kindle
1 Kindle Fire HD
1 iPad
1 old iPhone
1 iPod
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top