Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Aukey Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.  It is not the most expensive, nor the best, but I love it!  I haven't used it that much yet, but so far, so good!

It has a rainbow of colors that light it up and and also go around the sides, so it is very colorful and bright.  You can customize these lights, but I am loving the overall effect, and so haven't changed anything.

I was after typing sounds.  I know that some software contains those sounds, but I got tired of working on that.  I decided that I wanted constant typing sounds.  Well, this particular keyboard has a little, but not very loud!  I have Windows 10 and I'm using Chrome.  I had to go into the Settings and select Key Filters in order to have the keyboard sounds I like.  I am still looking for an app that will do that independently, but otherwise I have just enough keyboard sounds to be satisfied.  It doesn't have carriage returns or bells, but I don't want those anyway.

I was surprised by how heavy the keyboard is, with a smaller footprint.  This isn't the keyboard that most people recommend, but it was half the cost, and I feel like I have a new toy!  Christmas came early, and the times being what they are, I felt like I deserved a little early happiness.  Hahaha!

·
Registered
466 Posts
RedAlert: I have to admit I am intrigued by the rainbow and looking at this video I can see what you mean by satisfying clicking sound:
https://youtu.be/UH8Y_rIVkUw?t=47 ;)

My keyboard of choice is the logitech k120 keyboard. It is one of the cheapest on amazon but my fingers like it. It has the right spacing and the right touch to it. On my new 2nd notebook I intentionally went for a thinkpad. I had one in 2005 and to this day it is the best keyboard I every worked with. I tried out many other laptops and found them to be highly disatisfactory. I got an old thinkpad (t450s) for 300 books and I enjoy typing ever single day on it.
I recommend everybody to spend time going exploring with friends laptops and keyboards to figure out what you like best - it will make you so much more productive!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the new Logitech mechanical. I love it! There's something about the clickety click. The one I have also has excellent shortcut assignments that speeds up my writing.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
r/mechanicalkeyboards is spilling over. I love that sub, but I haven't taken the plunge because I write on a laptop. For now, I'm content to live vicariously.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nicole Simon said:
RedAlert: I have to admit I am intrigued by the rainbow and looking at this video I can see what you mean by satisfying clicking sound:
https://youtu.be/UH8Y_rIVkUw?t=47 ;)

My keyboard of choice is the logitech k120 keyboard. It is one of the cheapest on amazon but my fingers like it. It has the right spacing and the right touch to it.
I bought the K12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN7FH0l2YYw

My keyboard is not that loud without a little help, but my speaker is also not the greatest, so, could be that. But, I really like typewriter sounds.

Your favorite keyboard is the keyboard that I was using! I am going to keep it and store it as a second backup keyboard. It has served me well. I started on my typewriter journey because the app I use for writing has made me unhappy. But, it has great typewriter sounds. So, I decided to go forth and get some of my own. Hah!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve Margolis said:
I use my IBM model M keyboard for writing- bought it in 1990.

I'm sure you've seen one before. It was modeled after the IBM Selectric typewriter.

I put the keys in the dishwasher and open up the frame to clean it every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJzmky2DaI
That was a fun video! So satisfying! You could put that in a prompting app, and when you stop typing for X amount of time, that video would pop up in a window and push you to resume typing.

The thing that was very interesting is it said it was a buckling spring keyboard. I am just learning about that. You can actually hear the spring in some of the keys. I think they are real springs.(?) Anyway, that was cool.

·
Registered
115 Posts
RedAlert said:
The thing that was very interesting is it said it was a buckling spring keyboard. I am just learning about that. You can actually hear the spring in some of the keys. I think they are real springs.(?) Anyway, that was cool.
Newspaper newsrooms back in the day were as loud as firing ranges (check out All The President's Men, the movie). IBM Selectrics were the typewriter of standard. All the big newspapers used them, the government too. IBM Selectrics were electric and used a kind of golf ball. The golf ball rotated and punched letters & numbers onto paper so fast you couldn't see it. It was kind of incredible.

When the IBM personal computer arrived, IBM wanted its users to have the same "tactile experience" as they had on the Selectrics. So IBM engineers did a NASA-type thing and invented the buckling spring.

Basically each keyboard key has a spring inside. When depressed, it bends, then finally buckles. At the buckle point the spring hits the interior wall of the key. This results in a "click" sound and gives the user a sudden feeling of "give" at the low point. It mimics the Selectric typewriter because the Selectric had resistance on the keys up to a point, to make sure you really wanted to type that letter/number, then the machine registered the keystroke and at that point the electric motor took over the typing, and the key went slack.

IBM called their buckling-spring keyboards the Model F (bigger) and the Model M (more compact and more popular). Model Ms are in high demand today by keyboard-heads and people who just love a cacophony of noise as they type. (I'm one of them.)

Another benefit is the tactile experience itself. The resistance of the spring--strong, stronger, then suddenly slack--is unlike any other keyboard.

Is it worth hundreds of dollars, for an old keyboard? Depends on the user. Some hate the Model M, some love it with a fierce passion.

If you're interested in going down the rabbit hole, here's more on the IBM Model M.

https://www.clickykeyboards.com/model-m-reviews-and-links/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts