Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I think about it, the more upset I find myself. I was on the verge of canceling my order for the Kindle this morning, but decided to wait a little while. The idea that I have waited two months on a product that Amazon knew they would be replacing without any word deeply bothers me.I have spent money on a cover, skin and SD card that I have received and more on items that are on the way.I am nearly ready to just consider it money lost on what I already have, send back what is on the way and tell Amazon where to place their new Kindle. Comments?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I will admit to having very similar feelings.
My difference is mine was an XMas gift, but I have ordered accessories etc...

I just think there is something a little dishonest about logging up months of back-orders and then having the new version etc...
I am sure I am in the minority on this, but it might have been more honest to NOT take additional orders for the past 2+ months.

Explaining a  gap between versions I and II

Feeling a little bit screwed...
Eric

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I would wait until the announcement on Monday. Just because there might be a new model doesn't mean you have to get it. I'm sure you will be given an option. If you decide to get a new version, I'm sure you can sell the skin and cover here. I think there will be an sd slot on the new product.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ELDogStar said:
I will admit to having very similar feelings.
My difference is mine was an XMas gift, but I have ordered accessories etc...

I just think there is something a little dishonest about logging up months of back-orders and then having the new version etc...
I am sure I am in the minority on this, but it might have been more honest to NOT take additional orders for the past 2+ months.

Explaining a gap between versions I and II

Eric
Dishonest , That's my problem as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
They will likely sell Kindle 1's since people will be returning their recently bought ones if they've not had a chance to use them much, to get the Kindle 2.

You can then be happy with that and your accessories, as with most of us who enjoy our Kindles.

Or, you can sell what you've bought right here in the section of the forum for that or even on ebay.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
It well well may have taken longer for the K2 to be developed and manufactured than they originally thought.  I agree with you though, I would be very upset if I had had to wait for a long time, unless it was because of Oprah's offer.  I received mine within a couple of weeks back last spring.

I would not cancel my order though, wait and see what option you have, you can always cancel before shipping.  And as Kathy said you probably could sell your accessories here on the KBs.  You will love your kindle, new or old, it is a wonderful reading device and it honestly in the long run will save you money.  

Just hang in there y'all - it will all work out for the best in the long run.  (Of course, I can be positive, a beautiful day, 60 deg now heading to 80, beautiful blue skies, yada yada yad)

8)

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I agree. I have my Kindle since july. I love it. I have all kinds of accessories for it. The Kindle is only a little over a year old and now they are already coming out with a new Kindle. :-[ I just hope they keep updateing the Kindle I already have. I would wait before I cancel my order to see if there will be a choice that you will be offered between Kindle 1 and Kindle 2. I have no plans to change. I have too much invested in the Kindle I already have.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kathy said:
I would wait until the announcement on Monday. Just because there might be a new model doesn't mean you have to get it. I'm sure you will be given an option. If you decide to get a new version, I'm sure you can sell the skin and cover here. I think there will be an sd slot on the new product.
It isn't that I have to choose between the new models(once again assuming the will be a choice), it is the idea of Amazon taking all these orders knowing that they would be introducing the new model before they would be delivered. Even if it is a better model for the same price, it smacks of bait and switch. And if I cancell I will be done with everything Kindle, including this board, even though I have enjoyed my time here.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
intinst said:
It isn't that I have to choose between the new models(once again assuming the will be a choice), it is the idea of Amazon taking all these orders knowing that they would be introducing the new model before they would be delivered. Even if it is a better model for the same price, it smacks of bait and switch. And if I cancell I will be done with everything Kindle, including this board, even though I have enjoyed my time here.
I hope you would not leave the board. I feel letdown too. I wish they could have waited before Kindle 2 came out.It makes me wonder if a new Kindle is coming out a little over a year after the first Klndle came out will there be a new kindle out every year or so.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh, I don't know, guys.  While I don't think it was the wisest thing for Amazon to do I think I understand why they may have done it.  If they mean to continue to offer and support both versions of the K and had to wait for the shipment of K2s (and more K1s?) to arrive, they would have had a bigger mess of orders on their hands if they had let everyone know earlier of the K2 debut.  This way, if they intend to offer a choice to those of us waiting they can take care of that and THEN deal with the new orders for the K2.  

Like I said.....maybe not the best plan because I don't think they gave any thought to how committed Kindle parents are to dressing up their children.  I waited because I just wanted to see it and feel it before I made any decisions on accessories, but I know a lot of you have shelled out good money in preparation for the big day.

Hang in there and I think we'll all be happy eventually no matter which one we choose.

·
Registered
208 Posts
artsandhistoryfan said:
They will likely sell Kindle 1's since people will be returning their recently bought ones if they've not had a chance to use them much, to get the Kindle 2.

You can then be happy with that and your accessories, as with most of us who enjoy our Kindles.

Or, you can sell what you've bought right here in the section of the forum for that or even on ebay.
I thought there was only a 30 day return policy for the kindle. I've been waiting now over 2 months for mine, so I think there hasn't been any shipped within the last 30 days other than possibly some refurbished ones, I think all the rest came from ebay.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
intinst said:
I understand you frustration. I haven't had mine long either and wonder if I would have chosen the new model. I wanted one the Christmas before when they sold out and was so disappointed. I quit even watching for them to come out again. This year my children decided to buy it early in case of a sell out and gave it to me for Christmas. I just hate the idea that you would miss out on enjoying the Kindle. Once it is in your hands and you start using it, I know you would think it worth the wait.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can empathize with the frustration some people feel...

But to cancel my order now, or to even seriously consider canceling my order now, seems a bit premature for me.  I want to see what Amazon announces on Monday, and even then I will give myself some time to consider the options.

IMO, letting orders pile up on one version of the product knowing that another would be introduced is extremely poor customer service.  There is a 'bait and switch' aspect to it as in 'order this, and we will send you something else'.  Having the option to cancel is small consolation to me.  OTH - I haven't paid for anything yet so there really is no 'contract' between me and Amazon. 

Fortunately I held off on ordering a lot of accessories until I had the Kindle in hand.  I did order an M-Edge cover that may or may not work now. While I suspect I can sell it or return it, that is more hassle than I want.  But I consider that *my* mistake.  It was my decision to do that.  Amazon didn't make any attempt to sell Kindle accessories to me.  I bought that cover based on the recommendation of Kindle owners - not Amazon's recommendation.  I'm not upset with anybody but me about that decision and I'm really not too worked up about it at all because I do have options.

I knew that ordering an item without seeing and holding it could result in disappointment - the same could be said for ordering an item that is not in stock I suppose.   

For now I'm going to give Amazon the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what happens on Monday.

·
Registered
496 Posts
ELDogStar said:

Explaining a gap between versions I and II

Eric
I'm with you 100%.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Since they are rolling out the firmware upgrade before Monday, don't you think that has something to do with the announcement?  I don't think us K-1 owners are going to lose anything, even if they come out with K-2 (I'll believe it when they say it). 

Would you rather they said when you ordered, don't order new because K-2 is coming out sometime in 2009 and you should just wait another six months?  Bird in the hand works for me. 

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gertiekindle said:
Bird in the hand works for me.
Yes, bird in the hand. Amazon's hand, me the bird.

·
Super Moderator
67,326 Posts
I observe that it would be, perhaps, just as wrong to offer a product for sale that is not yet available. . . .

I expect that Amazon will fill the orders for K1 with K1 unless the purchaser requests to switch to K2.  I expect purchasers will get e-mail explaining options.

I feel for those who have purchased accessories that might not now work, but that is the risk you chose.  I mean, there HAS been talk of a K2 since late last summer. . . .

Not intending in any way to trivialize folks concerns. . . .apolgies to any who may think I have.

Ann

·
Registered
202 Posts
I feel like a chump... they should have told us that a new kindle was coming out with xxx features for xxx price, that the original kindle would still be available for xxx price when we ordered back in December and January.  At least we would know and would not have purchased all this stuff. Plus, they obviously have a relationship with m-edge etc... they sell the stuff on their site.  They should have annouced the K2 specs sooner to give a chance for the acessories to catch up with the new version.

I am a chump since I'm going to buy it anyway and not cancel  my order in protest!  I want it now! I wish I had it!  I'm too stupid to live..........

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I really sympathize with all of you who have been waiting for Kindles and preparing and now don't know if your accessories will work or what your choices will be and are understandably frustrated.

Two things--have patience.  As several have said, we'll all know more after the announcement on Monday.  You've waited this long, you can wait a few more days before making an important decision.

Also, think of all the reasons you decided that a Kindle was the right choice for you.  Have those really changed?  From what I've read, for most of us, ordering a Kindle was NOT an impulse, but a carefully thought out purchase (after all, it's not cheap!)  All of the reasons you decided to buy a Kindle are still true.  Spend the same amount of time deciding whether NOT to get the Kindle and review all the reasons you got in the queue....

Accessories can be dealt with (and for me, an extra SD card can be used in several ways, not just in my Kindle, but in my camera, my PDA, as a storage disk for moving files between computers, as a gift to the grandkids who store all their photos on them...).

Betsy

1 - 20 of 144 Posts