Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I just need a nice dark stormy day to set the stage and I'll be all set ;D  Unfortunately, we're in for a bit of a warm up and it's supposed to be 80 here soon  ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
80??  :eek:

It is supposed to get COLD here tonight - 27.  Guess I'll shut my windows finally.

Good luck with Salems Lot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,879 Posts
Buttercup said:
Now I just need a nice dark stormy day to set the stage and I'll be all set ;D Unfortunately, we're in for a bit of a warm up and it's supposed to be 80 here soon ???
We have the dark and stormy day here in Houston, TX... Hope it lets up before I have to make that 3 hour drive back to Longview! I read Salem's Lot when it first was release in paperback and ended up reading with every light in the apartment on!! Scared myself silly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I look forward to being scared silly! 

I've gone and gotten my Kindle from the bedroom so I'm going to snuggle in on the sofa and get reading  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Beautiful day here but quite chilly...it'll start getting dark in another hour and a half. I just went and 1-clicked The Stand...for those who love "fat" books, you may want to check it out since it's an "uncut" version at just over 1100 pages :eek:
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
chynared21 said:
Beautiful day here but quite chilly...it'll start getting dark in another hour and a half. I just went and 1-clicked The Stand...for those who love "fat" books, you may want to check it out since it's an "uncut" version at just over 1100 pages :eek:
Bit of trivia: The "uncut, unexpurgated" version of The Stand is actually edited a fair bit. The events are moved forward a decade from 1980 to 1990 and the book includes some updated cultural references to Madonna et al.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Salem's Lot was, I think, Stephen King's second book. I read it many years ago and reread it a few weeks ago on my Kindle. For me, King's book are comfort books..lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Bit of trivia: The "uncut, unexpurgated" version of The Stand is actually edited a fair bit. The events are moved forward a decade from 1980 to 1990 and the book includes some updated cultural references to Madonna et al.
It's edited from what??? How much longer would it have been??? I have the pb version but when I read that it did have some modern references, I thought it would be fun to read :p
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
chynared21 said:
It's edited from what??? How much longer would it have been??? I have the pb version but when I read that it did have some modern references, I thought it would be fun to read :p
The "uncut" version is the version originally submitted to the publisher, except that it was set in 1980 when written, and the "uncut" version that was eventually published is set in 1990. There are paperback (and hardback) versions of both the version that was originally published and the later, longer "uncut" version.

The two main differences between the two versions:
1) The original version begins with the carful of dead and dying people rolling into Hap's Texaco station, while the longer version shows us what happened on the "Project Blue" Army base and how the man carrying the Captain Tripps virus escaped to spread it to the world.

2) We get an a long scene of Trashcan Man making his way through Colorado in the company of an Elvis wannabe who calls himself The Kid.

The "uncut" version also has additional minor scenes, notably of the public reaction and downfall of society as Captain Tripps spreads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
The "uncut" version is the version originally submitted to the publisher, except that it was set in 1980 when written, and the "uncut" version that was eventually published is set in 1990. There are paperback (and hardback) versions of both the version that was originally published and the later, longer "uncut" version.

The two main differences between the two versions:
1) The original version begins with the carful of dead and dying people rolling into Hap's Texaco station, while the longer version shows us what happened on the "Project Blue" Army base and how the man carrying the Captain Tripps virus escaped to spread it to the world.

2) We get an a long scene of Trashcan Man making his way through Colorado in the company of an Elvis wannabe who calls himself The Kid.

The "uncut" version also has additional minor scenes, notably of the public reaction and downfall of society as Captain Tripps spreads.
Sounds like I'm in for a treat :) Thanks Jim!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
chynared21 said:
Beautiful day here but quite chilly...it'll start getting dark in another hour and a half. I just went and 1-clicked The Stand...for those who love "fat" books, you may want to check it out since it's an "uncut" version at just over 1100 pages :eek:
I just finished that version a week or so ago.

Bacardi Jim said:
Bit of trivia: The "uncut, unexpurgated" version of The Stand is actually edited a fair bit. The events are moved forward a decade from 1980 to 1990 and the book includes some updated cultural references to Madonna et al.
He mentions that in the forward.... when he released the uncut version, he edited his original dates
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Kirstin said:
I just finished that version a week or so ago.

He mentions that in the forward.... when he released the uncut version, he edited his original dates
I love Stephen King's stuff...I read a big chunk of 'Salem's Lot' on the metro commute in to DC. It nearly made me miss my metro stop! :eek: It was a dark fall night and I stood outside of the metro station waiting for the DASH bus into Alexandria, made me look a bit more clearly at those around me...ha-ha! :D

Oh I absolutely LOVE the 'Stand'! I have the hardcover, paperback (which is totally busted up by many re-readings and my dog's passion for licking books and a bit chewed up pages), and seriously tempted to get it on my Kindle. My friend and I re-read it once a year as well as watching the DVD of it.
Tris
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
For those of you who love The Stand, I highly recommend Robert McCammon's Swan Song. And fans of 'Salem's Lot should probably check out McCammon's They Thirst.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
For those of you who love The Stand, I highly recommend Robert McCammon's Swan Song. And fans of 'Salem's Lot should probably check out McCammon's They Thirst.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Swan Song is not on Kindle, click below to request!



They Thirst is apparently not available much of anywhere! Click below to request:

They Thirst
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ScottBooks said:
Why aren't all the King fans reading Just After Sunset
?

I'm almost through...discussions tomorrow!

(And as long as we're talking about McCammon, my faves are Boy's Life and Gone South).
Let me get through this one first and then we'll see, I'm afraid I won't be ready for tomorrows discussion though ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
ScottBooks said:
Why aren't all the King fans reading Just After Sunset
?

I'm almost through...discussions tomorrow!

(And as long as we're talking about McCammon, my faves are Boy's Life and Gone South).
I got the book this morning and almost finished it. I saved the last story for tomorrow.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Thanks, Betsy.  I knew neither was available on Kindle, so I didn't bother with covers.  (Plus, I was at work.)  I appreciate the effort. :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Thanks, Betsy. I knew neither was available on Kindle, so I didn't bother with covers. (Plus, I was at work.) I appreciate the effort. :)
No problem, I have neither a job nor a life right now ;D so I had time!

Betsy
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top