Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no interest in the Kindle. I saw it almost every day on the Amazon home page and all I thought was "I don't want to read on a device. I like books." Then my mother-in-law got one and here's what got me hooked...

1) The ability to look up word definitions on the fly.

I'm an avid reader but my vocabulary isn't great. Yea, I know I could just look up the word in a dictionary but it's a pain to carry around two books with you everywhere (plus I feel like a smuck). I used to underline the words in a book that I wanted to look up later but then looking up that many words at the same time I wasn't able to retain the definitions as well. (and it felt like homework)

2) The ability to keep private what you are reading.

Sometimes you just want to wallow in simple-mindedness. Sometimes you just need to read pure trash. With a kindle nobody has to know. And sometimes it's not an embarrassment thing - it's that you just don't feel like getting random comments from random folks about what you are reading (esp if it's controversial). I'm looking forward to using the kindle when I travel for this very reason.

3) Easier on the hands, wrists, and eyes.

I work on a computer (a laptop) most of the day everyday. At the end of the day my eyes are exhausted. I like the idea of being able to enlarge the font whenever I need. Because I'm at the computer I'm also typing all day and sometimes with the larger paperbacks my wrists get sore trying to hold them open with one hand. (and I hated reading hardbacks - I mean they look fabulous on bookshelves but they are cumbersome when trying to read)

What was it that hooked you?

*************T -2 days until Kindle 2 arrival!!! *************************

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome to the madness. Yes, those were the hooks for me, too. And coming to this board intensifies the experience.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
1) I love one-handed (or hands free) reading.  It's just so easy.

2) Easy on the eyes.  I think I read faster on the Kindle (I'm a slow reader) and with no eye strain.

and I agree with Luv.  Whispernet is wonderful.

·
Registered
501 Posts
SO many things that hooked me:
1. Massive storage capacity (especially with my SD cards on the K1!)
2. Easy-on-the-eyes eInk - what a GREAT innovation for electronic reading! No more eyestrain from my laptop!
3. Whispernet and the Kindle Store - as much a part of Kindle's success as the App Store is for Apple's iPhone!
4. All the public domain books I can download, FOR FREE, to keep forever
5. Small size, lightweight, durable - an electronic marvel, IMHO
6. Multiple Kindles on one account, ALL able to share downloadable books!
7. Including magazines, newspapers and blogs subscriptions
8. Access to Wikipedia, anytime, anywhere (in U.S., anyway)
9. Built-in dictionary

These are the few that come to mind immediately!

Enjoy your Kindle!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
One of the BIGGEST reasons I purchased a Kindle was for it's built-in Dictionary.  I'm a growing logophile, and the Kindle is an excellent reading device to increase one's vocabulary.  I'm glad that the Oxford American Dictionary is built in.  The definitions are clear and crisp.

I can't wait for when one can choose from multiple dictionaries, i.e., The American Heritage Dictionary, Random House Dictionary (I think it was discontinued, but it's magnificent, nonetheless!), and Merriam Websters (Not a big fan, but, hey, why not?). 

The Oxford American dictionary will do for now.  I am content, and I'm not complaining. 

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Before I bought these were the things that caught my attention:

ability to download books directly to the device
massive storage options
size of the device

After I got it I those things still impressed me, plus the fact that it was lightweight and soooo easy on my eyes! I no longer get headaches while reading!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Top selling point for me was the ability to download any book, any time, wirelessly, within seconds.  Wow.

Things I didn't expect to love but now can't live without:

- easy dictionary look up;
- unlimited free classics;
- easy on the eyes - I read so much faster now;
- broader literary experience;
- newspapers arrive overnight;
- lightweight and portable way to carry 100's of books;
- frees up space - suitcase, nightstand, tote bag;
- never bored - always something to read;
- greener - saves gas and trees;
- cheaper in the long run - one trip to the bookstore could run $300
- instant font size change (like when my contacts are in or I'm at the gym)
- so easy on the wrists - I'd had to give up on heavy books;
- one-handed reading;
- easy to prop/balance for bedtime reading;
- and so cool!  I'm kind of a tech-geek :)

I read much more since I've had Aurora, with better comprehension and more enjoyment.  I'm trying new genres (who knew I'd ever pick up a time-travel bodice ripper - but I loved Outlander!)  Then a bunch of biker books (Hell's Angel, etc.), then some books on polygamy and the FLDS.  Can't get much on Kindle by my favorite author, Joan Didion, but I discovered Truman Capote (awesome).  I even read one of the free Harlequin romances and actually liked it.  Honestly, none of this was on my horizon at all before Kindle, but I learned a lot and enjoyed them all.  Not to mention re-reading old favorites.

I'm much more well-read and much better informed.  I was a frequent reader before; now I'm a constant reader.  Truly a life-changer for me.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
1.  E-ink is so much easier to read.
2.  Adjustable font size -- this alone is worth the price of admission.
3.  Storage capacity
4.  I don't have Whispernet access, but downloading books is so easy and fast -- even using
    the traditional USB cable.
5.  Lightweight, easy to carry; fits in most medium sized handbags
6.  Large book selection
7.  Privacy -- no one knows for sure what I am reading -- just in case I am not reading great
    literature.
8.  Easy to hold and use -- no matter where you are at.
9.  I'm not a gadget person, but I am really proud of myself for actually buying an electronic
10. I am not convinced that Kindle is all that much cheaper -- but who the heck cares?  I'm
    having a blast!
    gadget and using it!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was torn between the iLiad and the Kindle for a long time - what finally swayed me to get a Kindle:

1) Content - Amazon simply has the most (at keast for what I want to read) and will probably always will. Plus, I trust Amazon to be around for the long-haul.
2) Whispernet and ease of odering and downloding books (almost too easy, at least for my bank account!)
3) battery life.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome and yes, it really is a nice device.

·
Registered
202 Posts
All of the above, but I agree, one of the top reasons was I can carry my books with me and no one has to be snooping at what I'm reading!  Also, I love wikipedia, and the Whispernet and the Kindle Store will be just fantastic.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have to say, I never expected to love the dictionary, but I do. And all the other features people have mentioned. My Kindle is always at my side.

L

·
Registered
10 Posts
all the above reasons for me too, & it'd be difficult to prioritize them in any order...

I'll add I also enjoy my kindle for the audio choice too so I don't have to have another device. I listen to audio books while doing hobbies or something like housework; mindless times when my hands are busy.

I gave my kindle as a gift to one son; he gave it back to me unopened 'cause he just didn't think he'd like it. Guess if he ends up like you, lack of interest turn to interest, which we all know would then turn to YES!! if he'd only give it a chance, I'll just be able to give him back kindle1 & get maybe version 3 or 4 by then?  ;D

·
Registered
621 Posts
ohrenmoose said:
I had no interest in the Kindle. I saw it almost every day on the Amazon home page and all I thought was "I don't want to read on a device. I like books." Then my mother-in-law got one and here's what got me hooked...

1) The ability to look up word definitions on the fly.

I'm an avid reader but my vocabulary isn't great. Yea, I know I could just look up the word in a dictionary but it's a pain to carry around two books with you everywhere (plus I feel like a smuck). I used to underline the words in a book that I wanted to look up later but then looking up that many words at the same time I wasn't able to retain the definitions as well. (and it felt like homework)

2) The ability to keep private what you are reading.

Sometimes you just want to wallow in simple-mindedness. Sometimes you just need to read pure trash. With a kindle nobody has to know. And sometimes it's not an embarrassment thing - it's that you just don't feel like getting random comments from random folks about what you are reading (esp if it's controversial). I'm looking forward to using the kindle when I travel for this very reason.

3) Easier on the hands, wrists, and eyes.

I work on a computer (a laptop) most of the day everyday. At the end of the day my eyes are exhausted. I like the idea of being able to enlarge the font whenever I need. Because I'm at the computer I'm also typing all day and sometimes with the larger paperbacks my wrists get sore trying to hold them open with one hand. (and I hated reading hardbacks - I mean they look fabulous on bookshelves but they are cumbersome when trying to read)

What was it that hooked you?

*************T -2 days until Kindle 2 arrival!!! *************************
Well, definitely the ability to make fonts bigger. I am a 72 year old woman who has had cataracts removed and wears glasses for her "age-related astigmatism." I didn't know I would appreciate the ease of looking up a word on the fly but I love it. I am moving up to Kindle two because of the better contrast and also because I walk daily on a treadmill {total left hip replacement} and I love the idea of having the current book read to me! ;)
Patricia

1 - 16 of 16 Posts