Kindle Forum banner

I disagreed with my agent

2K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Christopher Smith 
#1 ·
Matt Bialer is my agent at Sanford J. Greenburger, a pretty influential agency in New York that has Dan Brown, Brad Thor, etc.  He likes my new Wall Street thriller, "Running of the Bulls," but in all due respect to Matt, who is amazing, I've decided that the 18-month publishing wait I was facing is too long.  Eighteen months??  I know that's the norm, but after publishing a few books instantly with solid success, that seems ridiculous.  So, next week, "Running of the Bulls" goes e-world.  This book has been finished since the end of March and it's been killing me not to publish it through Kindle, Nook, etc.  Have others been going through this?  It might as well be Attention Deficit Book Disorder.  I'm sure you're out there and understand.  It's an e-world and I'm embracing it.  Let's hope I and others don't shoot ourselves in the feet for taking the leap when offers are at hand--but I don't think we will.  I feel kind of pumped.  Now, readying the manuscript for CreateSpace.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks Julie and Moses--

Camille doesn't know it, but she's the one person whose advice I always find spot-on.  I love it when she posts.  I haven't posted here in some time, but that's because I've been on a writing binge.  And we know how rare those are.  When they come, capitalize!

What's weird is that Fifth Avenue, for some reason, is climbing the charts again in the UK.  Is this what will happen with all of us?  The odd rise, dip and flow of the tide?  It's just another reason to be indie, to look over our "children" because we have the power over price, blurbs, etc.  But after 7 months, the damn thing is making a go of it again.  And for anyone who is indie, we get the profits.  So cool.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ladyeclectic!  I did check and as with the best agencies, we had a one-page agreement that was super simple and defined none of that.  Greenburger is a class act all the way.  Hell, they signed Kafka!

Discussion starter · #21 ·
I haven't left Matt.  We had a nice email exchange, he'll wait for my next novel "A Rush to Violence," and we'll see how that pans out.  Meanwhile, for "Bulls," he can go for foreign and movie rights.

Dave, he understood because he's just as great as you've heard about.  He knows "Fifth Avenue"'s numbers and that it was in the Top 100 for five months.  He knows this will keep my audience growing.  I guess he just gets it.  He's always said, "I'm in it for the long run."  He's proved it.

Now I need a great cover.  STAT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.