Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In spite of hearing mixed reviews of what Select can do, and a lot about how it's not as good as it used to be, it seems like it's the best vehicle to get some momentum going for my debut novel. Since B&N hasn't got their ducks in a row yet, I hadn't put it up on PubIt!, so now was as good a time as any.

Here's what I'm wondering:

- Are Select books really weighted better by any algorithms, and if so how?
- Does just joining Select have any real advantages beyond the lending library and the ability to run promos?
- How soon should I run a free promotion?
- When I do run a free promotion, what's the best way to capitalize on it?

Getting the word out has been a slow-going affair so far, so I hope that a 2- or 3-day free run will drive up interest and garner some useful reviews. I just don't want to blow the promo by running it before I'm really prepared.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I notice the page doesn't mention anything about the submission guidelines. I read that POI has fairly strict guidelines, including number of reviews, which is a criterion I can't meet yet--yet POI has no info about that whatsoever that I can see. Are any sites known to be more or less off-limits to newer books? Any that are better for a book's first promotion? I'd hate to waste both my time and the site's if my book isn't going to be considered anyway, since I know some sites like POI are drowning in submissions as it is.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
- Are Select books really weighted better by any algorithms, and if so how?

Nothing that anyone can pin down, although rumors abound.

- Does just joining Select have any real advantages beyond the lending library and the ability to run promos?

Nope, that's what it does.

- How soon should I run a free promotion?

Whenever you want.  And you don't have to use all 5 days at once.

- When I do run a free promotion, what's the best way to capitalize on it?

Let people know you're doing it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
No one's been able to figure out POI yet. They've posted books submitted a month in advance, two days in advance or not even submitted at all, and likewise there have been books on there with many reviews or no reviews. I just made my rounds submitting for my two-day freebie run yesterday, and only recall two sites listed in the link I provided that had review requirements. One was 3, the other was 18 (!).

If a site doesn't list any requirements it's on them if you waste their time. It's definitely not a waste of yours if you can possibly get on there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't usually do this, and if I'm out of line feel free to slap me. I just published a book - Boost Your eBook Sales Success - The Essential Guide to Online Marketing Resources for KDP Select and Beyond. It is not the same old book with the same old site listings - this is up to date with submission guidelines and includes 'hot' links to each site - advertising, review and author interview sources, etc. More than that, it's about the business of being an author - branding, etc.

Currently it's only available for sale from my blog (at a very special introductory price) in PDF format (which works exceptionally well for the hundred+ hot links) but I will be publishing it to Kindle next week.

Rather than being SO blatant as to include a link to my sales page - here's a link to the latest review and you can reach my blog from there if you choose to. All of the reviews have been like this - which I think means it's worth considering. http://www.websearchsocial.com/boost-ebook-sales-success-marquita-herald

1 - 6 of 6 Posts