Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finished reading 26 books, and have GOT to get around to writing up all of the reviews. It's sooo much more fun to read than to sit and dissect a book. But Lynn's already put Guido on a plane to come "visit" me in San Francisco.. Guido doesn't understand "Vacation."

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ryne Billings said:
I was about 130 behind when I decided to stop writing reviews for anything but indie books.
!!! Oh gosh. I clean-slated about a year ago, because not only was it apparent I'd never catch up, but I was also worried about what I may have forgotten. Now, I give myself a pass on vacation reads, or when the real world intrudes too much and I get too behind. But then again, I don't have R.A. cracking the whip! ;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
StaceyHH said:
!!! Oh gosh. I clean-slated about a year ago, because not only was it apparent I'd never catch up, but I was also worried about what I may have forgotten. Now, I give myself a pass on vacation reads, or when the real world intrudes too much and I get too behind. But then again, I don't have R.A. cracking the whip! ;)
Well, I originally planned on reviewing every e-book that I bought. Given that I read about 130 books between last August and November, I found that I preferred to just read them.

That's why my only reviews on my Amazon account are for Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne, Dragon Age: The Calling, The Door to Canellin, and The Bakkian Chronicles Book I: The Prophecy. The last two are the only indie books I've reviewed thus far.

I need to re-read the Half-Orc books and the Prophecy of Swords books before I can review them.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are all indies..all KB authors. I don't have quite an eidetic memory, but it is very good for stories I have read. I have a special collection on my Kindle for books to be reviewed, and as I finish a book, I remove it from my KB Authors collection and move it to my reviews collection. I did this on Saturday because I knew I had more reviews to do than I thought... I thought I had about 6 or 7. but I made the new collection on Saturday and started moving things over... 40 pages of KB authors to go through to see which ones I had read and needed to move.. and I found 26 books..

Now, a few are ones that won't get posted to RAR, either because they've already been posted there by another reviewer, or because they are books Lynn edited. Those will get posted directly to Amazon.

That 26.. I know it seems like a big number of books and might seem easy to forget, but I read that many in a month normally, so for most of these it hasn't been forever since I read them. I do keep them on my Kindle just in case I want a quick refresher. Which usually means I may reread the first page, skip ahead about 1/3 of the book, read a page, skip ahead another 1/3 read another page, think to myself oh yeah.. what about that part.... let's see.. it came before this point, lets go back a bit.. nope.. back further.. oops to far, forward a page or 3.. ahh! Here's what I wanted to comment on..

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've forgotten my own stories... I can't imagine trying to remeber 26 of someone else's. Yikes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I honestly don't like to review books - I'm just not good at summing it all up. Stating my opinion and talking about the things I liked or didn't like in a book, that I can do, but there are so many great reviewers out there, they put my efforts to shame. I am going the route of only reviewing Indie authors on my blog, too. It's important to support fellow indies!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed.  I read so fast that I forget what I read almost immediately. Retroactive reviewing would be impossible. The other day I looked around the piles of books in my bedroom and wondered how much rereading it would take to figure out I had already read the book. 

It's not only your memory that's impressive it's also the idea of reviewing every book. That's a great idea. I think my motivation to write reviews was squelched early by a librarian who criticized one of mine in the little booklets we used to keep for reading contests in elementary school (contests I always won since the goal was to read the most rather than to write the best reviews).

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tensen said:
26 books behind?
Dang... since I started reading slush, editing multiple manuscripts, and writing my own material... I haven't even had time to read 26 books this year. And I have lot of beautiful well-written books ahead of me.
I'm off semester atm from school, I'm not a writer, so no work of my own, and Lynn does all of the editing for Red Adept Editing. As I am currently on vacation in San Francisco, all I have to do is take care of grandma, read books, and write reviews.

RedAdept said:
You do realize that in the time it took you to write these posts, you could have had at least one review written, right? :D :D

Guido is on the way! ;)
Yes Ma'am. I have the next one almost done. just taking a break for a couple minutes to collect my thoughts. and make sure the review is covering everything I want it to cover.

Here's what Jim told us all after he met Guido the first time:
When she sends Guido, you're in deep poo. Guido, the Vampire Mafiosi. He breaks your legs before sucking out your blood. ;-)
I don't need broken legs I have to get on a plane home in 2 weeks, and as for my blood? I need all I have.. So reviews are incoming Lynn.

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
Twin, didn't I warn you to pack the garlic to ward off Guido (and the knitting needles to get rid of Mildred)?

·
Registered
632 Posts
This is why I love Goodreads. I put what books I'm reading (which is like 6 right now).  When I pos that I'm finished, it automatically asks me to rate and review it right then. My feelings are fresh in my brain and I can usually jot down a short review right then.
I honestly don't post a ton of reviews on Amazon, unless it's an indie or I have pretty strong feelings about it. Then I just copy and paste my review from Goodreads.

Good luck catching up!!!

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
scarlet said:
and the knitting needles to get rid of Mildred?
But I don't knit Mean twin... I quilt.. I do have fabric, thread and needles.. and sewing machine, rotary cutter, mini iron, mini ironing pad, and cutting pad with me.. think I can sew her up in a quilt?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guido should be backing off.. I showed him the list and the review that I am almost done with. I might manage to get 3 loaded tomorrow at RAR, and 3 or 4 at Amazon..

I will have a nice quiet morning as grandma goes to the podiatrist, so I won't get interrupted every 15 minutes by someone asking questions that she knows she won't be able to hear the answers unless I get up and go to the room she is in. but she will yell the questions anyway.. no matter what. I took a pad and paper in to the living room tonight, and wrote most of a review on the paper just so I could get work done and be able to answer whatever questions she had without losing as much time as normal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts