Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There isn't a name for it but I call it Feisty Women With Special Powers Surrounded By The Paranormal (yep long name I know)..

Some of my faves are:

the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison
the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris
the Women of Otherworld by Kelly Armstrong

I'd say its dark fantasy, sadly most book stores include them in romance *sigh*

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Betsy the Quilter said:
I haven't read Women of Otherworld. Are they available on Kindle?

Betsy
All but the second one :'(

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
chobitz said:
All but the second one :'(
OK, found the first one:
$5.95

And, it's entirely possible instead of a Vampire Lit book club we could have a Feisty Women With Special Powers Surrounded By The Paranormal book club or a Vampire Lit book club AND a Feisty Women With Special Powers Surrounded By The Paranormal book club.

Betsy

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with your choices, and wanted to add a few more, if you haven't tried them yet.

Patricia Briggs has a very good series about a Native American woman who can shapeshift into a coyote (shamanistic power, not were). She works as a mechanic, but has many ties to the supernatural community, and the books follow the troubles she has with various vamps, faeries, werewolves, etc.

The main series is the "Mercy Thompson" series (book 1 linked above), with a new off-shoot series called "Alpha and Omega" that focuses on another female character (a werewolf) in the same world.

Another good author for the "Feisty Women With Special Powers Surrounded By The Paranormal" genre is Richelle Mead. I found her posting on the Jim Butcher boards (one of my all-time favorite authors), in the "authors" section. Nice lady, cool books.

The first series is the "Georgina Kincaid" succubus series, where the main character is tired of centuries of corrupting good men and draining the life out of them. However, since she cannot be "intimate" with a man without doing him harm, love and a real relationship is off limits. Then her favorite author comes to visit her bookstore, and someone is killing her supernatural friends. Nice mix of humor, mystery, and a little romance.

She also has a new series that just started, that reminds me a little of Laurell K Hamilton's "Meredith Gentry" series, except I could only stand to read the first book there, while with this one I will definitely be looking for sequels. Basically, main character is a "feisty woman" shaman, working as a supernatural "gun for hire" in the real world, when a prophecy on the elven side sends them over to try and father the child that will be their next big leader dude. So while everything / everyone is trying to get busy with her, she's avoiding it like mad. (kind of the opposite of Hamilton's series, if I remember the main premise properly...)

My favorite of all these is still Kim Harrison, though - Rachel, Ivy, and Jenks are a great team!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How could I forget Mercy! I love that series also..

Once I have my kindle I'll try the other series you mention.

Jenks by far is my favorite character! I always picture him looking like Brad Pitt with long hair. I can never look at Tinkerbell the same way  :D ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Here are some other series to checkout re "Feisty Women With Special Powers Surrounded By The Paranormal"

Two series by C.E. Murphy. The Walker Papers about a mechanic-turned-police-officer-turned shaman. It is extremely funny IMHO and it reads much better than it sounds.

$9.99

The second series the Negotiator. I've only read the first one in that series, "Heart of Stone". Deals with the paranormal from the perspective of a "normal" person. It's good!
$9.99

Also liked the Dante Valentine series by Lillith Saintcrow.

$5.59

Laurell K. Hamilton has two series that deal with the paranormal. I really love her Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. The other series by her is the Meredith Gentry series.
Anita Blake, $4.04
Meredith Gentry, $4.99

There are more series that I like that I don't have time to do right now. I will try to add them here & get the links for these books tomorrow.

Cheers,

Marci

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Hey, Marci, some good series there! And available on Kindle, kool!

I'm going to have to check them out.  (In fact, I did, so I went ahead and added some links while I was there).

I've read most of the Anita Blake and Meredith Gentry books.  (Note that the Gentry books are much more sexually explicit than I remember the Anita Blake books to have been.)  The Anita Blake might have been the first in the Feisty Women With Special Powers Surrounded By The Paranormal genre that I read.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
And, it's entirely possible instead of a Vampire Lit book club we could have a Feisty Women With Special Powers Surrounded By The Paranormal book club or a Vampire Lit book club AND a Feisty Women With Special Powers Surrounded By The Paranormal book club.
rofl, not if there are any drinking women among them. lol, that's a LOT to say.

All kidding aside, it's a nice premise. I haven't been able to get into the Rachel Morgan books, but maybe I can if they're on the Kindle.

I have read all of the Anita Blake books, but I have found that after about book 6, it's a very very steep descent into madness. Anita and Merry are now running pretty much parallel.
You know, if you mean parallel to the floor.
The first half dozen Anita Blake books are pretty good, but I won't be buying any more after the last one. There's only so much of that a girl can take. Also, I have found that people stare now when I take the actual books out in public. But, imo, it's really degenerated from a Vampire hunter series into those kinds of books, where the only question is how many times will it happen. Which is fine, if you're into that kind of thing. But if your mind tends to wander, I enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse books far more.

~robin

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
rofl, not if there are any drinking women among them. lol, that's a LOT to say.
Only remotely possible in a click-and-paste universe. And barely there, especially if there's been drinking, LOL!

I have read all of the Anita Blake books, but I have found that after about book 6, it's a very very steep descent into madness. Anita and Merry are now running pretty much parallel.
You know, if you mean parallel to the floor.
The first half dozen Anita Blake books are pretty good, but I won't be buying any more after the last one. There's only so much of that a girl can take. Also, I have found that people stare now when I take the actual books out in public. But, imo, it's really degenerated from a Vampire hunter series into those kinds of books, where the only question is how many times will it happen. Which is fine, if you're into that kind of thing. But if your mind tends to wander, I enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse books far more.

~robin
I also stopped reading the Anita books after about book 6, not sure why, I think I got very busy at work and stopped reading so much. Interesting to hear your feedback.

But, I love this genre. Maybe we could abbreviate it: FWWSPSBTP. See, isn't that much better? Snort! ;)

Betsy

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
FWWSPSBTP
rofl, you're right. That's much easier. I think I'm going to get that as a tattoo.

~robin

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just to shorten the title for your genre a little, all of these book pretty much fall into "Urban Fantasy".

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Mikuto said:
Just to shorten the title for your genre a little, all of these book pretty much fall into "Urban Fantasy".
Ah, but we want girls with power!! LOL! Maybe that should be the short version...

Betsy

·
Registered
788 Posts
Just sift a little I suppose! Jim Butcher books are out...just look for the ones with fiesty women on the cover.

B

·
0 Posts
While I've never actually seen the Powerpuff Girls, I believe their motto is "Girl Power!"

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Uh huh.....suuuurrrrrreeee you haven't, Jim.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Off topic but on topic:

True Blood marathon on one of the bonus HBO channels, if you have them, starting at 8:00 PM EST.

Betsy

1 - 20 of 36 Posts