Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_mechanical_engineering

I'm sure we've all had those moments looking for the exact right word and not being able to find it in the thesaurus. I would venture to guess there are a lot of these glossaries in Wikipedia. If I can find others related to science fiction, I just might add them to my Link of the Day list and publish them here.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there are a fair number of glossaries on other subjects of great use to authors. For example, I would be thrilled with explanatory lists of terms for features of buildings, land features, underground features, ocean coast features and so on. It would make describing overland, indoor and underground exploration a whole lot easier.

If I find any more of these I'll add them to the thread. Feel free to join me. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yep, a good page or two to keep open is always good. Because who doesn't end up having characters who know everything about something that you the writer knows nothing about? The glossary looks like good info and I might definitely explore it for different topics.

Before I started a few sci-fi books I was watching a lot of an internet show called "Because Science" and there was some good info there. I didn't watch a lot of the pop culture episodes, but there were ones about like realistic space travel, what things are like in a vacuum, random science topics and things. But it's a very physics centered show. When they cover biology or other things it's kinda, meh. Otherwise, there is good info that I can listen to while I wash the dishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQHWTA0TNAs

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Heaven knows I use a thesaurus page often enough... another resource is always welcome.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts