Kindle Forum banner

I got my Kindle 2!!!!!!!

2K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  pomlover2586 
#1 ·
Hey guys

I got the Kindle 2 today and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!! I'm a first time Kindle user so this is very exciting for me. I just have a couple quick question for all of you kindaficionados:

1. Is there a way to actually turn the device completely off? Or does it only go to sleep?

2. How do you get to a specific chapter/story? For example, I downloaded the complete Brothers Grimm and I want to get to a certain story. How do I do that without having to go through each page until I get there?

Thanks guys, I'm so excited!

My first story I'm reading is UR by Stephen King and the fact that I have a Kindle is making me addicted to reading! I can't stop reading it! I think it's because of how easy it is to use the device and how clear and easy it is to read something.....

I've never been a big reader in the past few years (I'm only 23). I would buy a book and say to myself "OK I'm really gonna read it all this time..." I usually get through half the book then I just lose interest or just find something else to do with my time. I think the fact that I have this cutting edge device and I've spent so much money on it will keep me interested, and as I've stated above, the ease of reading and turning the pages and keeping everything organized into one device....brilliant.

Oh, and I love this message board! Expect to be asking stupid questions in the next couple of weeks...

Thanks

Kyle :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats!

Most of us follow Amazon's recommendation not to both turning the K2 off; just letting it sleep is apparently just fine.  However, if you want to turn it off, just hold the power/sleep switch on the top left for about 15 seconds (until the screen shuts down).

As for getting to a specific chapter or story, as long as the book as a linked table of contents, you can navigate by that (most do, but a few don't).  While in the book, press Menu.  If Table of Contents is black (not grey), you have one.  Click down to the TOC; when it shows on your screen, click down to the chapter or story you want to access.  When you reach that line, press down on the 5 way button once & it should jump to the chapter you've selected.

#3 ·
Congratulations!

1. You can turn it off if you hold the button on the side over long enough, but sleep is the better option, because it's less of a "shock" for your baby and just about as power-saving. Also, consider keeping your wireless off when not needed -- hit menu for that option -- to conserve battery.

2. You can select chapters from the menu option.

#5 ·
PianoMan (May I just call you Billy Joel :D), there are no stupid questions. . .all of us were rookies at some point and benefited from assistance from others.  Now it's our turn to pay it forward.

You CAN turn off the Kindle but you don't really have to.  Your manual should say how.  (I have a K1 so am not sure) When 'sleeping' it doesn't use any power so there's not danger of draining the battery.  BUT, if you have recently downloaded a lot of books, the Kindle will want to index them for quicker searching.  It will do that just fine while asleep, but does use battery in that case.  So it's a good idea to plug it in so you don't have to worry about it freezing up because the battery is low.

As to the chapters, go to the table of contents.  That should be an option you get when you press Menu while the book is open.  If the Table of Contents is linked, which many of these anthologies are, you can just go to the story you want to read and click it and it should take you to the beginning.

Another thing you might want to do is search out the thread in tips tricks and troubleshooting about using a tagging system to keep track of the books you have.  Since you've only just gotten your Kindle, it won't be too hard to start now.  It's much more of a pain if you already have 10's or 100's of books.  

Enjoy your kindle and keep asking questions.  In a few months you'll be answering other rookies questions!

Ann

#9 ·
Congratulations on your new K2 it is indeed a fun time.  I think it is great that evan though you have not been an avid reader in the past you decided to go ahead and get a Kindle.  Check out the Book Corner there are lots of suggestions for books you might enjoy reading.  I personnally love the Aragon series and cannot wait for the 4th book to come out and I am not (23). ha ha  Enjoy!!

#14 ·
VictoriaP said:
Congrats!

Most of us follow Amazon's recommendation not to both turning the K2 off; just letting it sleep is apparently just fine. However, if you want to turn it off, just hold the power/sleep switch on the top left for about 15 seconds (until the screen shuts down).
Right. Just wanted to clarify that 15 is for resetting it, the way we used to with a clip-end in the Kindle 1 back. Won't hurt but will take a lot longer to get started again.

To just turn the Kindle off, you'd hold the power switch for about 4 seconds only. Customer rep says it's like just shutting your operating system off suddenly to turn it off, and they advise that if in the middle of reading a book, first go to HOME listing-page, as that will close the book and it then makes a record of your last page read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.