Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings --

On Nov. 10, I ordered a single Kindle, and it arrived on Nov. 29, for which I was correctly charged on my credit card.  To my surprise, on Dec. 1, I received another Kindle -- this one had a duplicate of the packing slip that was in the first Kindle shipment.  It had the same order number, etc.  except that there was no additional charge.  Someone by mistake processed my shipment twice, while charging me only for the first Kindle!

So, wanting to do the right thing, I called Customer Service, explained the situation, and arranged to return the second Kindle via UPS which I did the next morning.  I thought this would be the end of story.  Now I have received another email, saying that they received the return of the second Kindle, and they had processed a refund!  But they never charged me for the second Kindle, so the refund should not have been made.  I have now emailed them back, telling them not to process the refund and hope that this ends things, but I have a feeling that the refund will go through tonight when my bank processes their files.

I hope they don't de-link my first Kindle from my account, or I won't be able to download!

I don't know.  I just don't know!  I hope Amazon reads this post!

ZU

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Zorrosuncle said:
Greetings --

On Nov. 10, I ordered a single Kindle, and it arrived on Nov. 29, for which I was correctly charged on my credit card. To my surprise, on Dec. 1, I received another Kindle -- this one had a duplicate of the packing slip that was in the first Kindle shipment. It had the same order number, etc. except that there was no additional charge. Someone by mistake processed my shipment twice, while charging me only for the first Kindle!

So, wanting to do the right thing, I called Customer Service, explained the situation, and arranged to return the second Kindle via UPS which I did the next morning. I thought this would be the end of story. Now I have received another email, saying that they received the return of the second Kindle, and they had processed a refund! But they never charged me for the second Kindle, so the refund should not have been made. I have now emailed them back, telling them not to process the refund and hope that this ends things, but I have a feeling that the refund will go through tonight when my bank processes their files.

I hope they don't de-link my first Kindle from my account, or I won't be able to download!

I don't know. I just don't know! I hope Amazon reads this post!

ZU
Darn, we could have sold that Kindle and paid for Kindleboards for years!

;D

Just kidding.

Great story, let us know how hard it is to convince them you WANT to pay for your Kindle! Next they'll probably give you a credit....

Betsy

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you get them to let you pay for your Kindle, maybe you could talk them into charging us the (so far mythical) ten cent conversion fee too. ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
It always makes me happy to know I am not the only honest person left in the world!

A few years ago I had a similar mix-up with slippers from LL Bean. I went to the store to return the extra second pair and I swear, I spent 30 minutes trying to explain what had happened and why they didn't owe me any money.

I could've just packed away the second pair to save until the first pair wore out but no...I had to do the honest thing.

Good for you, Zorro!

L

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Darn, we could have sold that Kindle and paid for Kindleboards for years!

;D

Just kidding.

Great story, let us know how hard it is to convince them you WANT to pay for your Kindle! Next they'll probably give you a credit....

Betsy
Betsy -- I think that is exactly how they will give that refund. Then I will have to tell them to put through a debit! But my big fear is that if they were both given the same serial numbers, and they clear out that information from their computer, they will de-link my Kindle ID from my account thus preventing me from downloading.

\ZU

G

·
Free Kindles Praise Oprah!

I wonder how many times they  have done this..no wonder they are out of stock and so many are on eBay!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Leslie said:
It always makes me happy to know I am not the only honest person left in the world!

A few years ago I had a similar mix-up with slippers from LL Bean. I went to the store to return the extra second pair and I swear, I spent 30 minutes trying to explain what had happened and why they didn't owe me any money.

I could've just packed away the second pair to save until the first pair wore out but no...I had to do the honest thing.

Good for you, Zorro!

L
It is so hard sometimes for people to believe that some of us are honest. I was in a store and the cashier gave me too much change. I tried to tell her, but she called the manager and told him I was giving her a hard time. I said, okay, if you're short tonight, it's your problem. I tried.

I bought several items from WalMart. One had to be returned. I checked the slip and I hadn't been charged for it. I figured if I tried to return it, somehow I would be accused of stealing, so I donated it to Goodwill.

That's my usual solution.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
ZorrosUncle - Yea for you <pats ZU on the back>! I love hearing that there are honest people around.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Leslie said:

Good for you, Zorro! L
Had the same thing happen to me last year with a toy I bought - I received two instead of one. I spent a lot of time trying to explain the situation and finally gave up. Which was a good thing sort of because one of them broke.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I am that stupid honest, too.

I probably would had done the same thing. Hope you get them straightened out and they don't cut you off.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
It's a sad indictment on society when being honest and doing the right thing is too much of a pain in the ass to bother pursuing anymore.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think there are more honest people out there than we realize.  Last year when I was getting ready for a trip to England I went to the bank to get some pounds.  I gave the woman $900 and she proceeded to give me 900 pounds when she should have only given me about 420 pounds.  Needless to say I stopped her and corrected the situation.  I would have hated for her to come up $900 and get fired.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Once upon a time, (hey maybe this is my next first novel.

In a Chicago cafeteria line during rush lunch hour I got back in line to return 4 cents to the cashier. She looked at me like I was crazy, but I sleep well at night.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That was really great that you were honest about it!  I imagine that some people would have taken that extra and made a fortune on Ebay with it.  I agree with PP, that's it's nice to see that honest people still exist.

ETA:  My DH found $50 in an aisle at the grocery store, and took it to customer service in case anyone returned for it.  He left his phone number as well, because they said that they would keep it for a day and see if anyone came looking.  Well, I told him that he could kiss that money goodbye, but sure enough the manager called the next evening and told him to come get it!  So that was honesty two ways and I will admit that I was shocked.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greetings -- Latest update.  They never gave me the refund, but now I get an email saying that they are going to offset that refund they never gave me, by charging my account for the refund -- in effect charging me for my Kindle twice!.  Now I am really getting angry!

ZU

·
Super Moderator
67,479 Posts
Time to Escalate.  That means ask to speak to a manager and don't take no for an answer.  Good Luck!

Ann

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Zorrosuncle said:
Greetings -- Latest update. They never gave me the refund, but now I get an email saying that they are going to offset that refund they never gave me, by charging my account for the refund -- in effect charging me for my Kindle twice!. Now I am really getting angry!

ZU
Ann Von Hagel said:
Time to Escalate. That means ask to speak to a manager and don't take no for an answer. Good Luck!

Ann
Time to stop emailing and make a phone call. 1-866-216-1072

1 - 20 of 38 Posts