Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having the Kindle since mid-November, I've finally had to do my first hard reset. Luckily, I had a couple of paperclips lying around in my Kindle case for the task.

Here's what happened: My sister begged me to lend her the Kindle. Since she's staying with me, I relented. With a worried heart, I gave her instructions on how to handle it (no eating or drinking in front of "the baby," hold it this way, do this, do that, etc. LOL) and told her to hand it back to me before she fell asleep.

That went without a hitch.

However, the next morning, she snuck into my room while I was sleeping and "borrowed" the Kindle again ("stole" is the more appropriate word, in my view), then put it back where she found it. Of course, I wasn't fooled.

Whispernet was left on for an undetermined number of hours (which she tried to blame me for) and the screen was frozen at the page she was last reading. Even when I turned the Kindle off, the screen remained stuck at the page.

After yelling at her, I got out my paperclip and did a hard reset. Then I erased the book she was reading (a legal copy of Midnight Sun, the unpublished Twilight book, from the author's website), yelled at her some more, put my Kindle away, yelled, got in the car with her, yelled, etc. :p

She told me this would never happen with a real book. I told her it could only happen to her. (Yeah, yeah, not the best response, I know.) :p

It's easy to forget that the Kindle is "more than just a book" - it is indeed an expensive electronic device. Just to be clear, I don't mind that she froze the Kindle since that was easily fixable and could've happened to anyone. I'm more upset that she took it behind my back. Then again, I can't be too angry with the poor woman. After all, the lure of the Kindle is awfully hard to resist. ;)

I guess it's not a good idea to leave Whispernet on for hours after you've finished reading, without exiting out of the book or activating the screensaver (even though it should appear on its own after a few minutes).

Luckily, the Kindle has been working fine ever since then. *Knock on wood*

EDIT: Shocking new evidence has come to light! The Kindle apparently froze while my sister was reading the book (not after she had put it down). Instead of alerting me to this, she just put it back and acted like nothing had happened. *Sigh* Is this a bad sign, or just a routine thing that takes place every once in a while? This is the first time I've had to do a hard reset since getting the Kindle since mid-November.

I

·
0 Posts
I have found that if my battery is on the low side of a charge and WN is used or left on in your case, it will cause the kindle to lock up.

Last time I had to do a hard restart, I had no paper clip.  I found a nice sturdy tooth pick.  It worked as well.  If all else fails and no small pointy items are laying around, you can always pull the battery out and put it back in.

I feel sorry for your sister...wasting time with a Twilight book when she could of been reading something good.  ;)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
All that yelling, CS! I hope you haven't given her a bad case of Kindle-fear...  ;)

L

I

·
0 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
This is why I bought my brother a Kindle. Hopefully he won't lose it in the morass he calls his house.

Betsy
Sounds like my house. Kindles could use a remote beeper function. :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Your poor sister- no more than she deserved!  Guess she is going to have to get her OWN kindle!  I thought I was going to have to do a hard reset last night, my computer would not show my kindle but I shut down the computer and the kindle showed right up when I started again.

Glad to hear the good news though.  ;D

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shocking new evidence has come to light! The Kindle apparently froze while my sister was reading the book (not after she had put it down). Instead of alerting me to this, she just put it back and acted like nothing had happened. *Sigh* Is this a bad sign, or just a routine thing that takes place every once in a while? This is the first time I've had to do a hard reset since getting the Kindle since mid-November.

chynared21 said:
LOL...I love the description of how to hold the "baby" ;) So...will your sister be buying a Kindle anytime soon?
I doubt it. For one thing, she lives in Canada and is just visiting. But I don't know if she'd want a Kindle if she decided to move to the U.S. In her words, "a book never freezes." She's not the most electronically-inclined person in the world. :p

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Ya know. . .it's basically a computer.  And sometimes, computers just need a reboot.  I would not worry about it.  Mine has frozen a couple of times.  Usually a soft reset works. . . .but sometimes a hard reset is needed.  I have gotten so I reset it every week or so just to keep it's memory happy.

Ann

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My screensaver was frozen on my KIndle when battery was a little low.  Charging the battery fixed it.  I have never had to any kind of reboot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Vampyre said:
Last time I had to do a hard restart, I had no paper clip. I found a nice sturdy tooth pick. It worked as well. If all else fails and no small pointy items are laying around, you can always pull the battery out and put it back in.

I feel sorry for your sister...wasting time with a Twilight book when she could of been reading something good. ;)
I had to do a hard rest for the first time over the long weekend (for the same reason as CS --- Kindle froze on page and wouldn't respond to ANYTHING). The worst part for me was that I was home and there wasn't a paperclip -or anything else of that type anywhere to be found. After searching the house for what seemed like forever for "anything that would work" I realized that I was wearing earrings ;D. turns out I don't have to worry about finding something to do hard rests with, as I'm always wearing earrings.

Lesson Learned. (and my kindle has been great ever since)

rla1996

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
CS said:
Shocking new evidence has come to light! The Kindle apparently froze while my sister was reading the book (not after she had put it down). Instead of alerting me to this, she just put it back and acted like nothing had happened. *Sigh* Is this a bad sign, or just a routine thing that takes place every once in a while? This is the first time I've had to do a hard reset since getting the Kindle since mid-November.

I doubt it. For one thing, she lives in Canada and is just visiting. But I don't know if she'd want a Kindle if she decided to move to the U.S. In her words, "a book never freezes." She's not the most electronically-inclined person in the world. :p
So she fessed up, eh? ;) My mom isn't into electronics either. I'm lucky she knows her way around a cell phone. My 8 y/o still has to explain the TV remote to her :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts