Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I knew that DH had a Kindle under the tree for me.  My DH is a total non-reader...the man barely reads magazines or the newspaper unless it's the comics.  Anyway, I opened my Kindle on Christmas and my DD carried it off for the rest of the day while I entertained family, then the next day she returned it, but before I could sit down to read I had to finish the dishes.

I go in to the living room after doing the dishes and there is DH sitting with my Kindle just reading away.  He found the book Free Range Chickens and was cracking up laughing.  He actually sat and read the whole book and then moved on to another one.  I was shocked!  I've known him most of my life and I have NEVER seen him read a whole book.

I had to get up early on Saturday anyway and snatched it before he or DD could get it!  ;)

Just goes to show that even non-readers can have their reading skills "rekindled". LOL

·
Registered
364 Posts
IMHO, There are just somethings that can't be shared. My Faith is one of them, lucky no one in my family has shown any interest in her. ;D

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
quiltingdiva257 said:
So I knew that DH had a Kindle under the tree for me. My DH is a total non-reader...the man barely reads magazines or the newspaper unless it's the comics. Anyway, I opened my Kindle on Christmas and my DD carried it off for the rest of the day while I entertained family, then the next day she returned it, but before I could sit down to read I had to finish the dishes.

I go in to the living room after doing the dishes and there is DH sitting with my Kindle just reading away. He found the book Free Range Chickens and was cracking up laughing. He actually sat and read the whole book and then moved on to another one. I was shocked! I've known him most of my life and I have NEVER seen him read a whole book.

I had to get up early on Saturday anyway and snatched it before he or DD could get it! ;)

Just goes to show that even non-readers can have their reading skills "rekindled". LOL
Great story! Sounds like you need to be a Kindle family!

Betsy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are planning on getting DD one eventually since she's a major reader like me, but honestly I never would have guessed that DH might even be interested in it since he doesn't (usually) like to read.

Yes, there will be more than one Kindle in our family at some point....I do not like sharing Vortex. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL DD is 12 and usually does the dishes.  I was giving her a brief reprieve since she helped me cook a ton last week for all of our family.  DH, however, was just trying to hide before I put him to work I think. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
This makes me laugh--I had the same thing happen when I got my Kindle.  I read a story I thought DH would like, so I told him I didn't mind if he read it on the Kindle as well.  I mentioned he could read, when I wasn't.

It didn't exactly happen that way.  Whenever I went to read, there was DH with Kindle.  I would come to bed, there was DH with Kindle.  So, after sometime sitting there with my mouth shut, I mentioned to him that it would be nice if I could read Kindle as well.  Oops....

Well, he finished the story and said he will never read on Kindle--seems to be affronted that I dared ask to have Kindle back. 

I have proposed a second Kindle, and he refuses.  He doesn't read much, but I am sure it would entice him to.  I think it may have to be a surprise at some point.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Quilting Diva,

What a great story!  It's so cool  8)  how the Kindle gets people into reading when they otherwise would not.

Marci

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Betsy, I'm a FIRM believer in that if I do the cooking someone else is doing the cleaning up!  :D  DH doesn't mind, he figures that he gets good meals out of the deal, since he can't cook a thing without burning it (well, maybe toast, although he burned that yesterday morning because he forgot to set the toaster back to normal after toasting a bagel the day before).

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I wonder how many people might be enticed into reading if what they are reading is off a computer screen and not a paper book. Maybe there is something intimidating by a paper book. We have becomes to accustomed to using the computer to read papers and blogs and do research that an e book reader might actually be less intimidating then a paper book.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts