Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got confirmation that you can never, ever, ever go back to using KDP to edit your book details if you have claimed your books in AC. I figured there would at least be a way to go back by unclaiming your books or something, but they said no for sure. Lame.

This also sucks because now you can't put in fancy html code into AC like you could before. They completely wiped out that ability to do it in AC. You used to be able to do it by pasting it into the compose tab, then submitting the preview and it worked. Not anymore.

Note: If you already have that kind of code in place, don't edit it, because once you do it'll be wiped and you can't put it back in.

Unless someone else has figured it out?

Lame times two. Anyway... just ranting.

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
3,523 Posts
Yep, I got the same news from Amazon AC. I asked them to allow HTML coding available via KDP with AC, and she said she passed my suggestion to the development team. So anyone reading this, if you want that feature on AC, make a suggestion to AC and maybe if they get enough requests they'll add that feature within AC.

Here is their reply. I added the bold to the good part, they seem receptive to author feedback! ;D

Hello Alan,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this.

I understand that you had more options with Kindle Direct Publishing admin area when compared to Author Central.

I've contacted the appropriate department regarding pulling the Book Description from KDP instead of Author Central, and I've come to know that currently Author Central precedes over KDP. This means that once changes are made through Author Central, the Publisher or the author of the Kindle cannot make any change via KDP. I'm so sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

We've taken your suggestion and I've passed your message to the Author Central development team for consideration. We rely on author input as we make future plans for Author Central.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes! Every single person with this issue should send an email to support asking for this feature to be turned back on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aha!  Now I know why my Amazon html has disappeared in all my book descriptions.  A couple of days ago in a Facebook group I said I thought this had happened and I got the response that I was incorrect.  

And I really "blew it" because I changed the URL for the free Kindle app page on Amazon on all my 12 Kindle ebook descriptions via Author Central!

I will call Author Central -- I find choosing the phone option can be effective.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ah. My problem makes sense now. Or I'm thinking this is it. Used to take a few hours, seriously two hours tops, for a change to go through on AC. Half a day has gone by and still nada. I know, I know 3-5 days is the time, but I depended on less than a day. GRRR.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry, I really hate to sound lame but I'm a little confused by the original "rant." From that post I gathered that once a book as been claimed in Author Central no changes can be made to the book description through the KDP site. But the message from CS posted further down the thread seems to be saying the issue is not claiming the book, but making changes through AC.

I've claimed all of my books on Author Central and continue to tweak my descriptions, etc., through KDP ... so, I may be missing something, but I guess what I'm not getting why anyone would make changes to their books through AC rather than KDP in the first place.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
martyinmaui said:
Sorry, I really hate to sound lame but I'm a little confused by the original "rant." From that post I gathered that once a book as been claimed in Author Central no changes can be made to the book description through the KDP site. But the message from CS posted further down the thread seems to be saying the issue is not claiming the book, but making changes through AC.

I've claimed all of my books on Author Central and continue to tweak my descriptions, etc., through KDP ... so, I may be missing something, but I guess what I'm not getting why anyone would make changes to their books through AC rather than KDP in the first place.
What we're talking about is they removed the ability to add special html code inside AC. You can still do it in KDP, but only if you haven't claimed your books in AC already. Which stinks.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
jimkukral said:
What we're talking about is they removed the ability to add special html code inside AC. You can still do it in KDP, but only if you haven't claimed your books in AC already. Which stinks.
Jim, what's she's asking is, and I was wondering the same thing, is it the claiming that locks you in, or actually changing your info through Author Central?

I heard something a while ago that once you change your info through AC, you can no longer change it through KDP. But it wasn't the claiming that made that happen. Has this changed?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
swolf said:
Jim, what's she's asking is, and I was wondering the same thing, is it the claiming that locks you in, or actually changing your info through Author Central?

I heard something a while ago that once you change your info through AC, you can no longer change it through KDP. But it wasn't the claiming that made that happen. Has this changed?
I'm not sure about the claiming only, good point. Definitely though, if you edit the description you can't go back.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
WTF? So there isn't one central place you change your book description? You can change it in different places? Why? That's stupid.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
It's making making changes to your book description within AC, not just claiming your books. If you claim your book on AC, but continue making changes to your book description within KDP, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey, good news, you CAN still do fancy HTML in Author Central!!!

It took me a while to figure it out, but if you know the < type of HTML, just use those tags in the regular "compose" window, and once you hit preview you will see the actual<> tags. Then, once live, the HTML renders correctly.

If you need some deeper instruction, all the code is in my latest book, (along with how to see customer page views Analytics, etc.)

(removed link. You can have your book's link in your signature. - Admin.)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, but you are missing the point. You used to be able to ad a bunch more extra code to make descriptions even more robust, but now Amazon strips them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
jimkukral said:
Yes, but you are missing the point. You used to be able to ad a bunch more extra code to make descriptions even more robust, but now Amazon strips them.
Jim, I don't think I am missing the point at all. Your complaint was that you cannot use HTML in Author Central. I pointed out that you are simply using the wrong code.

Let me be more direct. Go copy and paste this into author central and tell me if it doesn't work.

<i>This is in italics</i>

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
AuthorMichaelThomas said:
Jim, I don't think I am missing the point at all. Your complaint was that you cannot use HTML in Author Central. I pointed out that you are simply using the wrong code.

Let me be more direct. Go copy and paste this into author central and tell me if it doesn't work.

<i>This is in italics</i>
We're talking about more robust advanced HTML coding than italics and bold. Once you use AC, you will lose that, not the basic stuff. You can bold and italicize on AC without having to use ASCII codes. But you won't be able to do more advanced stuff. So anyone reading this, don't use AC for your book description, stick with KDP! And please contact AC asking for those tools.

MJAWare said:
I hope Amazon just pony's up and gives us some basic data on our sales. Say, number of visits to our books page and top 10 referring links.
That would be sweet. AC is looking for author feedback, so we need to let them know what we want. Maybe they'll listen and add this kind of good stuff.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Never mind the HTML, I'd be happy if ANY of my changes showed up.

I changed some of the text of my blurb LAST weekend and, to be sure, changed it on the bookshelf as well.  At this point it has not shown up.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
@AuthorMichaelThomas - That style of html is no longer working for me either, actually,  Any attempt to add an image using those replacement codes results in the html showing up but not the image.  (Yes, I know to host the image elsewhere and strip the http: out of it.)

-Joe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts