Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Oasis was acting wonky, very slow, and seemed to freeze today so I held the power button until it restarted. Unknown to me, that also triggered an update to 5.13.7 which is mostly just awful. Yes, it is more modern looking and I guess trendy looking but the prior version looked and worked fine even if it wasn't hip and trendy. And this new stupid thing only shows 5 books per page as opposed to the prior version showing 8 per page so it takes a LOT more page turns to go through all the books loaded into the device. I don't know if this is a total failure but it is close enough. Hate it. Hello Amazon. Hate it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My Oasis was acting wonky, very slow, and seemed to freeze today so I held the power button until it restarted. Unknown to me, that also triggered an update to 5.13.7 which is mostly just awful. Yes, it is more modern looking and I guess trendy looking but the prior version looked and worked fine even if it wasn't hip and trendy. And this new stupid thing only shows 5 books per page as opposed to the prior version showing 8 per page so it takes a LOT more page turns to go through all the books loaded into the device. I don't know if this is a total failure but it is close enough. Hate it. Hello Amazon. Hate it.
If this is an "upgrade" I'd hate to see what a downgrade would look like. This is the absolute worst update I've ever seen. Agree with the above post in that I hate it, totally hate it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Me too!!!!

What happened to "Goto"?

How do you disable "Popular Highlights"?

An internet search only provides answers for the older OS. The built in User Guide is no help either. It is also for the older OS.

Grrrr

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
I keep my Kindles on Airplane Mode and on the recent ones, do not enable Wi-Fi. I use the Kindle For PC to access my books, then copy them to Calibre to load them on a Kindle. All the latest Kindles are on their original OS.

I guess if I buy a newer Kindle I will see what all of you are complaining about. :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me too!!!!

What happened to "Goto"?

An internet search only provides answers for the older OS. The built in User Guide is no help either. It is also for the older OS.

Grrrr
When you touch the top the next to the Aa for font are some squiggly lines. That is goto. Dumb.

·
6,000 Posts
Me too!!!!

What happened to "Goto"?

Grrrr
'Go To' is now the icon to the right of 'Aa' when you tap the top of the screen within a book. You can use it to go anywhere within the table of contents or to a specific page or location, as before.

I'm not sure they actually still have 'popular' highlights, just highlights from your friends on social media like Goodreads, if you have your Kindle set up for that. You can disable any social network connections you may have set up via Settings > Your Account > Social Networks.

My Voyage doesn't have this update but it seems to be the same on there as on my PW 10th gen which has the update. I hadn't noticed the option being removed, but I've never had any highlights appear on either Kindle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for the helpful replies. I will give both a try.

I didn't have highlights appear before the recent upgrade. I always had them disabled. I don't mind "my" highlights but I am not particularly interested in those of others.

It sure would be nice if Amazon offered an option to upgrade rather than just installing it automatically!

Jeff

PS. I have low vision. Maybe that is why I missed the change to "Goto"? :(

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Me too!!!!

What happened to "Goto"?

Grrrr
We have another thread for this idiotic update...
I was complaining about the Go To missing. If you tap at the top when you are in a book, the icon that looks like lines will bring up the Go To - It is combined with the TOC in books that have it.
I don't know about Popular Highlights. That is one of the very first things I turn off on a new device, so it's already off on mine. I went through the menus a bit but have not found it yet.
If that can't be turned off it's a dealbreaker and my newly purchased Special Edition Paperwhite will be going back. I can't stand to see highlights in a fiction book. It has never made sense to me that Amazon enables that by default.

Edit - found it. But it's stupid. I have no idea who decided to move it to the Aa menu...
Open a book, tap the top of the screen, tap the Aa icon, then tap More. Swipe upwards to scroll down, turn off Popular Highlights.

·
6,000 Posts
Edit - found it. But it's stupid. I have no idea who decided to move it to the Aa menu...
Open a book, tap the top of the screen, tap the Aa icon, then tap More. Swipe upwards to scroll down, turn off Popular Highlights.
Well done - it never occurred to me to look in there for it. I haven't tried it as I don't like having highlights on at all, but maybe the intention is that you can have it on or off with different themes - you might want it on for non-fiction books but off for fiction etc. and just swapping themes makes it easier to change all your options at once.

Of course, I'm just assuming all the choices in that section can be assigned to themes, but with Kindle programming we already know that logic is not necessarily the way they roll!

·
6,000 Posts
Also, I forgot to say, putting the popular highlights option on the Aa menu is NOT a feature of this latest update. It's the same on my Voyage which doesn't have the update. I don't know when it changed but it's obviously been there a while.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Also, I forgot to say, putting the popular highlights option on the Aa menu is NOT a feature of this latest update. It's the same on my Voyage which doesn't have the update. I don't know when it changed but it's obviously been there a while.
Good point about when it changed. Since I turn it off immediately and the change did not turn it back on, it could have happened any time in the last year or two.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is it. You found it.

Thank you very much!

Jeff

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is anyone's sync button working, in the new swipe-down reveal of all the options? Both my kindles have updated, but neither will sync via that method. I loathe the popup at the bottom that I have to X out of after it syncs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts