Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really liked the sample but when I read some of the reviews I was turned off by some of the plot points.

Does Jamie (the male lead char?) really physically abuse his wife (the main female char)?
If thats true then how can there be so many fans of Jamie (or whatever his name is)?

I'm not sure I can read a novel where the main char we are suppose to love can be so brutal
and be so abusive

I'm no weak prudish reader. I like the Dexter series and Dexter is a
serial killer of serial killers and a sociopath
BUT Dexter has a reason for what he does.

I know its a different time Outlanders takes place in but I'm not sure I can sympathize or even like a character that does that act.

Please tell me its some kind of plot point that makes sense while read it and I'll buy the book.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
He spanked her not beat her.
She fought back and then threatened to kill him if he tried to beat her again.

You would have to read that part in full context to understand why Jamie did what he did and it wasn't just an arbitrary 'beating'
she had put his life and his men's life in danger
. I didn't condone what he had done but I understood it and his time period.

It's a good series and Jamie loves his wife Clair more than life itself and would and does walk through fire for her, which is why so many of us are in 'love' with him. He is a man and at the same time very loving towards Clair.

Hope this helps!
theresam

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It clears it up for and I will be ordering it. I was under the impression it was a beat down from the reviews I read.

Ya'll are so bad for me  ;) I normally do not read romance but thrown something supernatural or time travel AND scotts? I am sold.

·
Registered
261 Posts
well, if a modern day husband did what he did,
she'd be calling the sheriff
; but in the context of Jamie's day and age, it was just a
punishment,
and a very common one at that; not
abuse

He does have a very good reason for doing it; and there is very good reason why he never does anything like it ever again. It is an important part of the plot line.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
chobitz said:
Thanks. It clears it up for and I will be ordering it. I was under the impression it was a beat down from the reviews I read.

Ya'll are so bad for me ;) I normally do not read romance but thrown something supernatural or time travel AND scotts? I am sold.
LOL. They way she fought him I think he got more beat up than her LOL. I always laugh when I think about that part and a few after. You'll see why when you get there.

It's not the normal type 'Romance' stuff. Its not gushy luvy dovey. Its real life, hard, dirty, fun and joy. I think that's what made it so enjoyable for me. You can actually see them as real people because the writer made them seem so real. (when you forget that she traveled in time LOL)

Come join the book club that is going on and post your thoughts as you catch up with them!

theresam

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
bkworm8it said:
Come join the book club that is going on and post your thoughts as you catch up with them!

theresam
Please do join us. I think next week's discussion includes the part you are talking about. As others have said, once you read the whole thing, you will see it in context.

Also as others have said, this is not your standard romance novel. That misconception stops a lot of people from reading it. We've made many converts in the Book Klub.

The book starts a bit slow for some people, but it doesn't take long to grab you and once it does, it will never let you go. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts