Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this while cruising the amazon forums, and I was pretty surprised with all the techies here no one had yet mentioned it (at least that I've seen). This product might fill the niche for people who only want a cheap, basic reader.

http://www.coolreaders.com/default.asp

It does have its own bookstore here, although the prices seem to be quite a bit more than amazon, at least in most cases. PC World wrote a pretty positive review of it, but it's got a lot of inaccuracies about the Kindle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have to admit I do love the colors!  And the sleek design.  Looks like a nice product and it is certainly very attractive so I do see a market for it.  For me though, at that price point, it's not competitive with Kindle.  For $100 more (or a K1 for the same price) the Kindle comes WN which is just so far superior to anything else on the market.  A reader is only worth it's content and Amazon just KILLS the competition in that dept in both selection and prices.  Their ebooks seem to be double what Amazon charges at first glance.  Not such a great deal when you add that in. 

Maybe one day Kindles will pick up colors like this and then we can have the best of both worlds!  ;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Skins are far more versatile to me, and if you find you don't like one, easily changable.

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
An observation:  The website says it's coming to the US in June and to the UK and Europe later.  The implication is that it's made in the US because they talk about overseas shipping having to be negotiated.  But, much of the ad copy has a distinct British flair:  the use of the words 'whilst' and 'colour' for instance.  Curious.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The design is nice enough, and so are the colors, but I think the Amazon design is better and I prefer the classic simplicity of my Kindle's white and gray.  The SD card is a plus, but I'm dubious about the control buttons on the side.

I checked the book site, CoolerBooks, for my current Kindle content.  I found less than half of the books I own, and the prices were higher.  In addition, I found none of the 34 books on my wish list, and none of the 15 books I have saved for later.

Even if I had found more of the sort of books I like, this reader wouldn't tempt me.  I wouldn't be willing to give up Whispernet, the dictionary, the search function, and annotations and clippings for the $100 difference in price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Heh.  Looks just like an ipod.  Unfortunately for other companies jumping on the e-book wagon, Amazon will always win for me.  Content alone is worth my loyalty, not to mention a longstanding history of excellent customer service and well-supported products.  Let's face it...who does books better than Amazon?  There are a bazillion MP3 players on the market today, but I remain loyal to iPod simply because of the reliability and the familiarity...I would assume that the Amazon Kindle will retain its loyal followers for the most part as well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
>_< On the "other side" some people were debating over whether  Coolreaders were Kindle Killer's or not. I certainly don't think so. Especially considering the costs of most of the books on that site- yikes, 15-20 dollars books? Might as well buy the DT version at that price. Although I do think the  fact that it supports different languages is nice.

They claim to have the largest ebook store, I wonder about that, too.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The design and colors just kind of... make it look really childish to me.  It feels really Fisher Price for some reason.

·
Registered
257 Posts
An eBook reader is only as good as the content available for it. This is why I think it's wise to choose the source of your eBooks first, then take a look at the eBook readers available to view content from those sources, keeping in mind DRM and region locking. Amazon seems to have one of the largest, if not THE largest source of eBooks available, which makes the Kindle pretty hard to dismiss. This is why I decided to import a Kindle rather than buying an eBook reader that was available in Australia such as the BeBook or iLiad. Despite the fact that these two can read a variety of formats (including some with DRM), which meant I could purchase from a variety of different sources, none of them come close to the cheap prices and range of books Amazon has in its library.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It does have an interesting look to it.

Since it can read PDFs natively, as well as ePub format, there should be other sites for downloading books for it. Fictionwise recently added a large number of books in ePub format, so there is a little more promise to buying books for this eReader without the higher price in their own store.

Personally, I like my KK, and Amazon's catalog of books. But I can see where this might fit into its own niche.

·
Registered
61 Posts
One thing for which I can see this reader being useful is for getting ebooks from the library.  Since it supports PDF natively & PDF DRM, it's an alternative to the Sony readers for that purpose.  It's a little cheaper than the Sonys. It's also got 8 shades of grey, instead of 16, which makes me wonder if the screen might display text a little better than the Kindle 2 does.  If so, that would be a positive thing.  I love my K2, and by and large I'm satisfied with the display, but there are times where I do wish for a bit more contrast. 

I looked at these a few days ago & briefly thought about acquiring one and decided against it for several reasons.  The website touts the price as $249.00, but shipping is $20.00.  So that brings the price up to $269.00, already it's not sounding as cheap anymore.  Also, it only comes with a USB cable.  If you want a wall, or mains, charger it's an additional charge.  So far there's nothing on the website regarding how much one will be, though.  Let's say it's $15.00, roughly the same price as Amazon's wall charger (since you can't buy just the plug part), and now we're looking at $284.00.  It also does not support .mobi or .prc natively, so you'd have to do conversions for those types of ebooks, and I'm guessing it won't support DRM'd .mobi/.prc content. 

So, looks like there are both positives and negatives, just like with anything else.  I think the readers are kind of cute.  When I first saw them they immediately reminded me of the 2nd generation Ipod Nano.  For now, though, I think I'm going to skip on them, though.  If I were to acquire a 2nd brand of ereader, at this point I think I'd go with the Sony PRS-505.  And like others have stated, content is king, and I don't see anything "killing my Kindle" for quite some time to come. 

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I believe I will stick to my Klassic.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.