Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace my Kindle2 due to fading issues. I did have a little bit of trouble with CS in issuing a replacement ( http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,10048.0.html ), but it was worth it. The new unit they sent is perfect! I didn't realize how dark my old screen was, and how light the text was until I had them side by side. The new screen is slightly lighter and has much sharper, darker text. And the best feature? It doesn't fade AT ALL. Not even a little bit.

I've got my original Kindle packed up and am going to drop it off tomorrow at UPS. I wish I'd have taken care of this earlier- despite a few snags, it's been an easy fix! ;D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Did you take pictures of them side-by-side for comparison? I'm curious as to how much of a difference there is. My K2 is pre-owned and my screen is pretty dark, didn't know if it was normal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I didn't.    :-[    I didn't even think about it until I posted this.  I'm sorry!  If it makes any difference, the color of my old screen never bothered me.  It was dark and I knew it, but it looked like a mass-market paperback.  I thought it was normal (and it probably was).  Until I saw them side-by-side, I never thought my text was light and fuzzy either!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh man, now I'm nervous! Well, I have a little over 7 months left on my amazon warranty and +2 years from Square Trade. I hope I don't have to use it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
mmpierce said:
No, I didn't. :-[ I didn't even think about it until I posted this. I'm sorry! If it makes any difference, the color of my old screen never bothered me. It was dark and I knew it, but it looked like a mass-market paperback. I thought it was normal (and it probably was). Until I saw them side-by-side, I never thought my text was light and fuzzy either!
Oh well. Just cherish the moments you had with your old friend, and forget about its little problems..

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
BookishMom said:
Did you ever call CS back and see about that "tag" on your account? Did the first guy you talked to get reprimanded?
The first guy should have something said to him or reprimanded like Bookishmom said. Amazon should DEFINITELEY remove the tag from your account. You did nothing wrong.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Glad your replacement K2 is a good one :) Enjoy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to call back, but haven't had a chance yet.  I'm more annoyed now, because on the return authorization for return, this was the reason for return (copied and pasted from the form:  " customer claims that her kindles screen fades under the sun "

I might be biased, but it sounds like he didn't  believe me at all!  Yeah- I "claimed" it because it was true, moron!  ::)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Here are some pictures of my Kindles - one with sun fading issues and one without - the font size on all of these is 5.

This was after 3 or 4 page turns

Here they are side by side. I took them outside together and turned the pages the same number of times in the same spot

A close up of part of the same pages as above

This was when they were not in the sun. The one with the sun fading issues is on the left.

This is a picture of my cat, Zazzer Zoo, taken a couple of days before she died. She did not fade in the sun.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That is a really noticeable difference. I'm glad you have one that works correctly now.

Awwwww, I'm sorry about your cat, she was so pretty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Read in Sunlight with No Glare

Kindle's screen reflects light like ordinary paper and uses no backlighting, eliminating the glare associated with other electronic displays. As a result, Kindle can be read as easily in bright sunlight as in your living room.

From their description on the Amazon website.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts