Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and I feel horrible about it :-[

My unassuming co-worker was having lunch in the break room. She innocently looked up from her book and asked, "Is that a Kindle?" I nodded enthusiastically. "I'll be buying one soon. I'm narrowing down my choices," she said before returning to her book.

But did I let it go?
No.

I grabbed a chair, slid next to her and spent the next 5 minuntes praising the Kindle and all of it's wonderful features. I showed her how many books it held, the TTS feature, how to highlight, the Web browser...

When I finally shut up and returned to my department, I felt horrible for two reasons:

1 She only has a 30 minute break and I took up over 15% of it

2 I broke rule #1 of The Book Lover's Commandments: Thou shall not interrupt others while they are reading.
I certainly despise when people do it to me, and I can't believe I did it to someone else.

I found her after lunch and apologized for my assault. I told her that in my excitement I had mistaken her monosyllable answers and close-lipped grunts as an invitation to continue raving.

She forgave me :)

Has the Kindle ever caused anyone else to temporarily lose their manners?

·
Registered
445 Posts
just the other day in the park I was interrupted by a very nice but very chatty mom who kept peppering me with questions about my K3.  No offense to my chattier kindle siblings, but I didn't take the kids to the park so I could do a kindle commercial! :p

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I didn't take the kids to the park so I could do a kindle commercial!
Yeah, that's my biggest problem. If I take my Kindle out in public, people hold me hostage with a bunch of questions!

Although when you said that you held someone Kindle hostage, I thought you meant that you borrowed their Kindle, and then wouldn't give it back because you got so engrossed in it. (Like that woman in the Kindle commercial!) :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
That's not so bad.  When Sam Jackson has to show up and negotiate the release of said hostage...that's when you know you may have taken it a bit overboard.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, twice for me last Saturday morning and at places where the Kindle is meant to be read.  Took my car in for 15,000 mile maintenance and service guy asked "Is that a Kindle" ~ he got the spiel.  Then on to Urgent Care to have my hurting toe looked at - med prep and PAC both "Is that a Kindle", double spiel but I didn't mind since I had to wait at both places and still got some good reading in.  Hopefully they will become converts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've never held anyone hostage, but I know that feeling when you're at that really good part in your book (isn't it always that way?) and someone sits down next to you and starts talking/asking questions. Luckily I'm a pretty forgiving guy, but it is great to pitch people to get an ereader. I get a sense of accomplishment anytime I can convince someone they need one.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I have not done quite the same thing, but I have talked and talked and talked about how I love Kindle to people. I am quite sure friends and family are sick of hearing about it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys. I feel better knowing I'm not alone ;D

Erica Sloane said:
Kindle evangelist. :p
Ahh, much better reference ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Me and My Kindle said:
Although when you said that you held someone Kindle hostage, I thought you meant that you borrowed their Kindle, and then wouldn't give it back because you got so engrossed in it. (Like that woman in the Kindle commercial!) :)
I love the one with the page folding...classic lol

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hadou said:
When Sam Jackson has to show up and negotiate the release of said hostage...
LOL

{Through megaphone}...

PUT DOWN THE KINDLE AND PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I have had a family member grab my Kindle out of my hands and insist I answer a question. Does that count?  :mad:

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I love my Kindle, and I'm always happy to answer questions when asked.  I was reading on it at the library the other day.  A woman approached me and asked, "Is that a Kindle?"  She seemed very interested, so I gave her the "Full Kindle Tour."  I watched for glazed-over eyes, but she asked quite a few questions and seemed to be listening to every word.  :D  I think she's going to buy one!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I find i am a ' kindle discussion eavesdropper'.was standing in a queue and a group of women were talking about reading on the ipad and someone bought up the kindle, one of these ladies, you know the type, had an opinion on the kindle mainly about its drawbacks and started to inform these other ladies of her great knowledge on the subject, she made 1 statement to many so i interrupted with a ' sorry but you are wrong" the answer i got was ' i suppose you have one"  i answered in the affirmative and corrected several of her facts... i know its wrong but i just couldnt stand it any more lol
Jen

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have any of you guys had the situation laid out in the commercial happen to you? The other day I was sitting in my front yard, and a girl walking her dog asked me what I was reading. She turned out to be a big fan of Terry Pratchett! Watching somebody else reading on your Kindle isn't as interesting as you might think. :p

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've been known to hang out around the Kindles in Target/Best Buy/etc, looking at cases and debating buying a gift card for myself-- and then pouncing when someone comes by looking lost.  I looooove to share information, perhaps too much.  lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts