Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know amazon does alot of charity donations. I wonder if it crossed their mind to donate Kindles (and amazon gift cards) to hospices, nursing homes, rehab centers and teen wards in hospitals?

As someone who isn't the most mobile person I know first hand now how great a kindle can be. I can imagine how easy it would be for someone bed ridden due till illness or injury to escape their problems with a great book on Kindle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is a good idea; for charity and publicity. It helped Apple didn't it? 

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like this idea.  I like the idea of helping those in nursing homes, hospitals, etc. who have time on their hands and lack the eyesight to to enjoy reading all that print that has shrunk with age.  (I may be there sooner than I like to pretend!)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
There would be chaos in the nursing homes.  People fighting each other off with their canes and walkers, fighting over who gets the Kindle next.

Seriously, it's a great idea.  Charity and a good marketing move all in one shot.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It is a great idea!

kim said:
There would be chaos in the nursing homes. People fighting each other off with their canes and walkers, fighting over who gets the Kindle next.
And while this was said in humor, I'd say it's too close to the truth! ;)

Marci

·
Registered
366 Posts
Another good place would be in Military hospitals as well.  I think it would be great for someplace like Lahndstuhl here in Germany.  While I realize that whispernet wouldn't work here they could still download by USB.  It would be great for soldiers who are missing an arm.  Donate them to the USO and they could lend them out to patients while they are recovering.

·
Registered
89 Posts
chobitz said:
I know amazon does alot of charity donations. I wonder if it crossed their mind to donate Kindles (and amazon gift cards) to hospices, nursing homes, rehab centers and teen wards in hospitals?

As someone who isn't the most mobile person I know first hand now how great a kindle can be. I can imagine how easy it would be for someone bed ridden due till illness or injury to escape their problems with a great book on Kindle.
That is an awesome idea. Both of you should contact Amazon with those ideas, you could also contact/create charity organizations to help contact Amazon or collect money. My only experience with charity is donating, unless you selling candy bars in high school, so I don't know what that process is but those ideas are too good to go to waste just sitting here.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Might be more effective if more than one of us suggested it.  Maybe an online petition we could start and then send to amazon once we got everyone on kindleboard to sign it.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
SOUNDS GREAT but with those places being so public (as in many outside visitors) Kindle theft would be highly likely.  Also, unless Amazon offered it with x amount of free books, who's account would it be linked to; and who would decide on which books to purchase? 

Though they could go with freebies from the sites but who decides:  Do the patients vote?  Then how do they share...so many days per?  Some read at faster rates than others, then depending on the book size...etc.

If it is a facility with both young and old who would police the content?  The way I see it they would have to have several and each with certain materials and clearly labeled.  Ages 5 to 12, on one kindle; for another maybe teen/young adult.  Then adult separates too:  Romance, Sci-Fi, Mystery...

·
Registered
366 Posts
When it comes to a military hospital you have to figure everyone there is between 18 and 50 something.  There is a USO in every military hospital as well.  They usually are the ones who supply books to the soldiers who want to read.  Create an account for the hospitals USO and they could load them with the books they already have in stock and them buy more based on the requests of the soldiers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
chobitz said:

I think that a wonderful idea. You should try and contact Amazon about your idea, Who knows the may think it a great idea as well.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I agree, I think those are wonderful ideas. Or they could have a portion of kindle and kindle books go towards those facilities for getting kindles and downloads.  I know I usually purchase more from places that are giving a % to a good charity.

theresam

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I think this is a great idea too. I've spent a few hours in the USO at SF airport. Those folks are very nice. (Hmmm, bet they would like some of my DTB. I'd forgotten about the USO.)

·
Registered
366 Posts
USO is always willing to accept books.  I know that here at Ramstein they have a couple of bookshelves of books that anyone can take for free or leave extras behind.  Plus the USO at Lahndstuhl is always going from room to room with books that the patients can look through.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just sent this Email to Kindle feedback.  Hopefully they will consider this idea.

I think it would be a good idea to donate some Kindles to the USO at Lahndstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany So that they would be able to share them with injured soldiers during their stay.  I realize  that Whispernet will not work in Germany however they would still be able to download books via the USB port.  All I ask is that you consider the Idea.  I think it would bring smiles to several people who are in desperate need of one.

SSgt Alfred S. Meyer
US Air Force.

Lets Hope So

1 - 20 of 29 Posts