Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally took the plunge and published two books.  I set one at .99 so that I could maybe get interest in a new author.  And I've had a few sales, but I was really dreading the reviews.  As I posted here before, I'm more afraid of people throwing tomatoes than obscurity.  
Got my first review today.  On Goodreads.  From a Goodreads 'Librarian'.
"SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring............."

That's it.  And I'm not here to make fun of a reviewer because I respect those who have given me business and their opinions.  I'm just here to vent because I'm sure you guys know how this feels somewhat.

Edit: You know what though?  I just had to let others know, that even though the worst that I thought could have happened when I published, happened, I'm still glad I did.  I'm out here getting my licks, and these books are out of the way so I can focus on writing the next ones.  So I just wanted to say, tomatoes aren't so bad.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
And tomatoes didn't kill you.  

Hey, that sounds like a title for your next book, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!  Oh, wait.  That's been done.  Nevermind.

·
Registered
412 Posts
robin_hart said:
You know what though? I just had to let others know, that even though the worst that I thought could have happened when I published, happened, I'm still glad I did. I'm out here getting my licks, and these books are out of the way so I can focus on writing the next ones. So I just wanted to say, tomatoes aren't so bad.
I'm sorry this was your first review ever, that sucks. But, also, great attitude! That's probably what's most important in this business anyway.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I 'liked' both books for you.  Add some tags and the nice Kindleboard authors & readers will tag it.

Those Goodread reviewers can be brutal.  Ignore them.  Your ranking is great.  Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
"You wouldn't get those readers anyway".... that's something authors say to make themselves feel better. *waits for angry replies*

It's okay to be ticked off about it. My newest book was pirated within 2 hours of going live. It had requests for it on the pirate sites before it even went live on amazon. I find it difficult to believe that people who were doing a countdown till it was released wouldn't have paid the $1.99 for it if it wasn't available elsewhere.

YES! a lot of those readers wouldn't have bought me... but some would. It's okay to be disheartened, vent a bit to friends, and then tuck it away as CODB. Every industry has something they have to write off... shrinkage. Our shrinkage is pirates.

But, you have two books up! You have TWO BOOKS UP!!!! Good for you! Nothing is automatic in publishing (except those pirates ;) ) so just ride out the bad and keep moving forward :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R.A. Hobbs said:
I'm sorry this was your first review ever, that sucks. But, also, great attitude! That's probably what's most important in this business anyway.
Hey, at least everyone will know I'm definitely not sock-puppeting, with one one-star review. That's gotta count for something right?

Ha ha,
AndreSanThomas said:
And tomatoes didn't kill you.

Hey, that sounds like a title for your next book, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! Oh, wait. That's been done. Nevermind.
DANGIT!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Caitie Quinn said:
Every industry has something they have to write off... shrinkage. Our shrinkage is pirates.
And abusive returns, I suppose.

But, really, I think of piracy as a badge of honor, a sign that you're doing something right and producing books people, however morally-challenged a cheapskate they might be, actually want to read. :)

--George, who has yet to have anything other than his erotica pirated...

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Heh heh...I confess to being kind of amused by bad reviews, and my amusement doubles when they're bad reviews of my own books. Believe me, "SOOOOOOOO boring..." isn't the worst that could happen. ;) As negative reviews go, it's pretty tame.

Always remember:

Now go write another book!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unbeknownst to this reviewer, I've already gotten 21,000 words on the next one, just in the last week and a half.  I have to say though, I'm sad to have bored this reviewer, because I actually respect her taste in books.

·
Registered
412 Posts
George Berger said:
But, really, I think of piracy as a badge of honor, a sign that you're doing something right and producing books people, however morally-challenged a cheapskate they might be, actually want to read. :)
True. It's nice to be wanted. Even if it's only for your booty. (waka-waka)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I noticed the reviewer has marked the sequel to that book as 'currently reading'.  Uh oh.  Oh reviewer, if you think I'm boring, why do you have to read the other?  I think I'm bout to get the second tomato.  Good thing the hubby is bringing home video game prezzies soon.  But seriously, I have about the thinnest skin in the whole dang world, so anyone who is worried about publishing and criticism, I can now tell you, it's not a big deal.  Totally worth it.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
robin_hart said:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha, I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess I gotta get a thicker skin somehow.
I still have thin skin, but having a few sales is a healing balm. $$ = soothing ravaged skin.

It mostly hurts when you have no sales, no fans, just critics. If you make it, you'll have good things to balance out the lemons.

If it helps, remind yourself that sometimes you hate things everybody loves. I think about nasty things I've said about JJ Abrams (verbally; not suitable for print) and gain some perspective.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Pamela said:
Those Goodread reviewers can be brutal.
SO TRUE! What they said. GR peeps r nuts. They gush about a book and then give it 3 stars. Seriously. They are really rough. I have your book on my kindle. Its next in line. :)

PS - I originally hoped this thread had some tomatoes and cheese. YUM YUM YUM!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
holly w. said:
SO TRUE! What they said. GR peeps r nuts. They gush about a book and then give it 3 stars. Seriously. They are really rough.
Much as some parts of the world snark about things the rest of the world would describe as broken, worn-out, et cetera being "eBay near mint", Goodreads operates in its own little world.

Foursome with Nathan Fillion, Robert Downey Jr., and David Tennant, in a jacuzzi on a private island in the Caribbean? Two stars, by Goodreads' standards. :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
When reviewers throw tomatoes, make marinara sauce.

The truth is that you were brave enough to step onto the stage in the first place. Many people never get that far. Go forth and continue to publish. I'll bet roses land at your feet eventually.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
They definitely are tough on Goodreads.  Add at least one star for the same thing on Amazon.

I've got one that comments that there's a lot of s-e-x in my book.  Uh, it IS erotica, do you not see the nekkid girl on the cover?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
George Berger said:
Much as some parts of the world snark about things the rest of the world would describe as broken, worn-out, et cetera being "eBay near mint", Goodreads operates in its own little world.

Foursome with Nathan Fillion, Robert Downey Jr., and David Tennant, in a jacuzzi on a private island in the Caribbean? Two stars, by Goodreads' standards. :)
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. *wipes tears away*....where can one find this...two star foursome?
DRMarvello said:
When reviewers throw tomatoes, make marinara sauce.

The truth is that you were brave enough to step onto the stage in the first place. Many people never get that far. Go forth and continue to publish. I'll bet roses land at your feet eventually.
I should have made tomatoes and cheese for all of the nice people here.
holly w. said:
SO TRUE! What they said. GR peeps r nuts. They gush about a book and then give it 3 stars. Seriously. They are really rough. I have your book on my kindle. Its next in line. :)

PS - I originally hoped this thread had some tomatoes and cheese. YUM YUM YUM!
Thanks so much. If it is boring, please give me more detail than just 'soooooooooo boring'.
I guess the GR people are a different type. I know I was much harder on books before I actually wrote one. Now I just mentally high five other authors. Period.
AndreSanThomas said:
They definitely are tough on Goodreads. Add at least one star for the same thing on Amazon.

I've got one that comments that there's a lot of s-e-x in my book. Uh, it IS erotica, do you not see the nekkid girl on the cover?
Ha ha ha ha ha...good thing that will be like a positive commendation to other readers then, right?
Dalya said:
I still have thin skin, but having a few sales is a healing balm. $$ = soothing ravaged skin.

It mostly hurts when you have no sales, no fans, just critics. If you make it, you'll have good things to balance out the lemons.

If it helps, remind yourself that sometimes you hate things everybody loves. I think about nasty things I've said about JJ Abrams (verbally; not suitable for print) and gain some perspective.
I just tell myself, she probably thinks Virginia Woolfe is boring. Then again a lot of people do, whereas I could read her all day.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts