Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Authors, now that you've written a novel or several in a series, do you have a difficult time watching movies without predicting what is about to happen next?  I find that the more plots I have developed in my series, the easier it is for me to figure out what will happen next in movies.  How about you?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I find that US movies are generally the easiest to predict, which is why I mostly watch South Korean, Japanese, Hong Kong & Chinese films - ditto EU movies - Italian, German, Finnish, Danish, French, Spanish etc. Love films where you don't know what's coming next - but you generally have to switch to foreign films to get those kind of curveball stories, by and large.
/2 cents worth :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
As Ian stated, the US movie industry generally follows certain, cultural based rules, which state that:
-the good will always win over the evil force
-no evil behaviour will pay out (at least at the end)
for commercial reasons:
- there "must" be a character that a viewer can easily identify with. This person is unlike to get killed or end up in an unfavoured state.
- happy end! This word is so American, it is known all over the world. We know there is no such thing as happy ends in life, we know that the good guys not always get reward for what they do for their family or the community - but it is all so sweet like butter popcorn!
There are some innovative moviemakers though. I like Quentin Taranti no (Not all of his movies though), Martin Scorsese and genius Terrence Malick. There are some ground shaking war movies (which I think are the genre in US movies) like the thin red line.
When it gets to serious subjects there are many movie that give you the rollercoaster feeling - not knowing how things will go out.
The other day I watched : The killer inside me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killer_Inside_Me_%282010_film%29,
a fantastic movie with a trashy but unpredictable plot.
But let's be honest: This business is mostly all about money and the majority of the movies that come out are lame, no matter with genre.
If you dig a little though, there are still dozens of unwatched movies in your Blockbuster's covered with dust, that are worth the try.
I mostly choose my weekly dose, by the actors and the producers. Christover Walken is one of them, who I have followed all the time and I almost never got disappointed. Not only is he a fantastic but weird actor, he does only movies with a certain twist. Maybe that could help you not to follow a channel or a hype like vampires or else, but to follow the steps of people in this industry who really try to make different movies.
French movies are great as well, very unique, sometimes very funny, but somehow they always end up as US remakes.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think it's interesting that your writing has helped you see the film plots. It's kind of the opposite for me. I've watched so many movies in my life time that I know all of the little camera tricks and visual cues. I can tell the entire ending to the movie based on a couple of specific shots or words. It can be really annoying, though, because I am never surprised by a movie and they can never seem to trick me. Haha, sometimes people I know get mad at me because I guess correctly exactly how the movie will go, sometimes within the first five to ten minutes.

Movies, however, have really helped me in developing my own novels because I use a lot of devices seen in movies that translate well over to the book format.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NRWick said:
It can be really annoying, though, because I am never surprised by a movie and they can never seem to trick me. Haha, sometimes people I know get mad at me because I guess correctly exactly how the movie will go, sometimes within the first five to ten minutes.
Same here.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I recommend hunting down an incredible Korean film called 'Old Boy' - I'll bet you won't be able to predict what happens :)

But that said, there are some US gems:  'Primer' is an amazing low-budget mind-bending sci-fi film, 'Wendy and Lucy' is just stunning storytelling. The recent 'Winter's Bone' is another goodie.

A lot of Asian films don't have that finger-wagging morality thing going - and they're genre-blurring as well, so you can't always predict where something is going. Look around for 'A World Without Thieves' or (for something quite 'immoral' but beautiful) 'Bad Guy' or 'Save the Green Planet'. Just watched a strange Finnish period movie called 'Sauna' - again, totally unpredictable. Or try a great Japanese comedy about food called 'Tampopo.'
There are hundreds of high grade foreign film titles, many of them get bought up by US studios and remade. Try see 'Infernal Affairs 1 & 2' (Scorcese remade them as 'The Departed.')
I tend to use cinema to fill up the creative well. Its what works for me. I wouldn't be able to survive on the mainstream big studio US releases.
/2 cents film geek mode off :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ian Fraser said:
I recommend hunting down an incredible Korean film called 'Old Boy' - I'll bet you won't be able to predict what happens :)

But that said, there are some US gems: 'Primer' is an amazing low-budget mind-bending sci-fi film, 'Wendy and Lucy' is just stunning storytelling. The recent 'Winter's Bone' is another goodie.

A lot of Asian films don't have that finger-wagging morality thing going - and they're genre-blurring as well, so you can't always predict where something is going. Look around for 'A World Without Thieves' or (for something quite 'immoral' but beautiful) 'Bad Guy' or 'Save the Green Planet'. Just watched a strange Finnish period movie called 'Sauna' - again, totally unpredictable. Or try a great Japanese comedy about food called 'Tampopo.'
There are hundreds of high grade foreign film titles, many of them get bought up by US studios and remade. Try see 'Infernal Affairs 1 & 2' (Scorcese remade them as 'The Departed.')
I tend to use cinema to fill up the creative well. Its what works for me. I wouldn't be able to survive on the mainstream big studio US releases.
/2 cents film geek mode off :)
Interesting films I'll have to check out. There are some that do catch me off guard, or those where you think, "I should have seen that." Due to midnight shifts for years, I never got to see the "24" series on television. Now, thanks to Netflix, I've started with the first season and at season 5. Just today, I found myself clued in ahead of time of what would happen next. Frustrating, sometimes. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts