Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love brick and mortar bookstores!

You guys probably can't believe I said that, do you?

My mom's birthday is on Monday (Dec 8) and we are having a family get together tomorrow night. I have been wracking my brain about a present which is a challenge because my mother tends to not like the presents that people pick out.

A few weeks ago, over on the accessories thread, I ordered up the red Levenger bag. It arrived at the beginning of the week but something held me back from using it. Should I give it to my mother instead? Birthday...?

But I liked this bag. And if I gave it to her and she didn't like it, I wouldn't get it back. But maybe she would like it. But I have given her lots of bags over the years. Not so original.

And so my mind debated....

Then, this evening, at 8:30 pm, I suddenly had a brainstorm. My mother is trying to revise a book she wrote years ago. I have installed the computer for her, my son re-keyed the file (she typed originally on a typewriter)...suddenly, I remembered. A writer friend highly recommended a book called "Manuscript Makeover." I even have a sample on my Kindle (!) from when the friend recommended it so I know the author's name and ISBN.

I call Borders--15 minutes before closing. "Do you have this book?" "Yes it's in the computer, let me see if it is on the shelf...." {kindle reading while I am on hold}...."Yes, there is one copy in the store. Do you want me to hold it behind the register for you?"

Yes! Yes! YES! I get the book for mom and I get to keep the Levenger bag! Win win all around! Maybe I'll even buy her a ream of paper for the printer for her revisions!

Go me!

L

G

·
I'll never give up visits to B&M stores unless they all simply vanish.  Like libraries, I simply have become so deeply attached to them (particularly used bookstores) that they are a permanent part of my life.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
LOL. I love bookstores and I'm kinda depressed I won't be going to them nearly as much anymore. Still, I can't totally resist the lure of a dead tree book. I bought 4 for 50 cents each a few weeks ago. Reading them on the other hand...

G

·
I'd love to go to a book store.. We don't have one here unless you count Wal-Mart.  I don't.  just one more reason I love my Kindle.  It's a portable book store.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Angela said:
I love book stores almost as much as libraries! I may not buy as many books from them as in the past, but I will still go and look!
I enjoy looking also. I take 2 of my 4 grandchildren that love to read like their Nina. We always have a good time and create some special memories. :)

Linda

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Me too.  I live near what I am quite sure is the largest Borders.  I love browsing and browsing in there.  I will keep buying my "picture books".

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I love them too, I still go once a week to look at all the new releases and just browse.  I just love to look around and see things I would miss if I only shopped on line.  That said I then download the samples and buy them on my Kindle when i get home.  :D  I debating if I should renew my B&N card when it comes up in January.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sandpiper said:
Me too. I live near what I am quite sure is the largest Borders. I love browsing and browsing in there. I will keep buying my "picture books".
I too love nothing more than browsing a b&m bookstore and still try to buy from them because I would be disappointed if they suffered the same demise as most music stores.

Its makes no sense to me that they are selling Sony eReaders, without partnering with the publishers to sell ebooks.

·
Registered
869 Posts
chynared21 said:
I love going to book stores and always will. There is nothing like the feel of a brand new book in your hands, though I will confess that I don't miss reading them...reading on Jinx is just so much easier.
I agree with Chynared. I love visiting bookstores & still continue do so. There is always going to be something I want that's not on the Kindle. It's also a good way for me to get inspired for gifts & "future" reads.

Marci

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love bookstores. I'm grateful they're there. I sincerely hope they don't go away.

But here's the awful truth: I simply can't stand to actually be in a bookstore. There's something claustrophobic and absolutely overwhelming and disorienting about it. I enjoy the first few minutes in a bookstore, but soon I feel like there's too much to take in and too many people to watch out for. Sensory overload. Same with record stores (for those of you who remember that archaic vinyl audio medium that would degenerate after repeated plays) and libraries. There's just something about stacks and stacks of things that sends me right up a tree!

I really appreciate my county library system's online catalog and their Books By Mail program. And of course Amazon. And now my beloved Kindle. :-*

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't care, one way or another, for brick and mortar bookstores, but that's not why I've written a response.

I owe you a great deal of gratitude for mentioning "Manuscript Makeover", it looks like it could be the very thing that I needed. At the very least, it's captured my interest more than any other book I've gotten for my Kindle, and it will get me going in the right direction (the "fireflies" idea alone has a tremendous amount of potential). It's also the very first Kindle book I've purchased with a link from here (I used the link in "preview mode" to buy it but I'm posting it here in case anyone else who sees this thread wants to buy it as well.)

Thanks very much. ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Selcien said:
I don't care, one way or another, for brick and mortar bookstores, but that's not why I've written a response.

I owe you a great deal of gratitude for mentioning "Manuscript Makeover", it looks like it could be the very thing that I needed. At the very least, it's captured my interest more than any other book I've gotten for my Kindle, and it will get me going in the right direction (the "fireflies" idea alone has a tremendous amount of potential). It's also the very first Kindle book I've purchased with a link from here (I used the link in "preview mode" to buy it but I'm posting it here in case anyone else who sees this thread wants to buy it as well.)

Thanks very much. ;D
Selcien,

You are very welcome! And thanks for putting up the link. I should have thought of that.

Good luck with your writing. Like I said, this book comes very highly recommended.

L

G

·
thejackylking said:
B&M stores give you quite possibly the best of both worlds. Go in w/ your kindle check out the books on the shelves and then download if you like.
HAHA I was thinking the exact same thing.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
When I was about 12, my friend I use to hang out in this huge bookstore in Westwood, near UCLA in L.A. The had a small
2nd level nook that housed all the children's book. There was never any sales people in there, so I use to hang out and pretend
I worked there. People would walk in and I would say "Can I help you?" they would kind of give me a surprised look and then smile and tell
me what they were looking for, the often took my reccomendations. They must have thought how brilliant to hire a child to work in the Children's section!
:D
Later I actually worked in one, for real, just before I went to college and it is actually the only "normal" job I have ever had (I have
been a successful commercial photographer since graduating from college) and I loved it. I will always love bookstores, I esp love used bookstores.
I still love to browse new books, magazines and I even like to check out the book I am currently reading, just to see what page I am on!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts