Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to rebrand a series. I published then unpublished book 1 about 6 months ago. I've now finished books 2 and 3 and want to completely rework the cover and title. Unfortunately book 1 of the old look is on Goodreads. Is there anything I can do about it?

Now for my Amazon question. Same book. Do I simply use the same ISBN (yes, I used one) and AISN and change the cover and title, or do I need to start over? I used D2D so do I need to start over there too, or can I use the same ISBN?

The original was only up for sale for 3 weeks. It didn't have a lot of sales.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Moe D said:
I've decided to rebrand a series. I published then unpublished book 1 about 6 months ago. I've now finished books 2 and 3 and want to completely rework the cover and title. Unfortunately book 1 of the old look is on Goodreads. Is there anything I can do about it?
Nope.

Moe D said:
Now for my Amazon question. Same book. Do I simply use the same ISBN (yes, I used one) and AISN and change the cover and title, or do I need to start over? I used D2D so do I need to start over there too, or can I use the same ISBN?

The original was only up for sale for 3 weeks. It didn't have a lot of sales.
As far as I know, the ISBN is tied to the title of the book. So if you're changing the title, you can't use the same ISBN.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I figured as much about Goodreads, not that I care much about anything going on there.

Just went to Library and Archives Canada (where I got my ISBN) and changed the name of the title. So I think that's all okay. Now just to figure out what to do with Amazon. I may have to email them.

Thanks for the info Shayne.

ETA: Just did a quick look on Amazon. Seems I'm starting from scratch. Such is life.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Regarding Goodreads, you can change the cover and title by editing as a new edition. You can then make the cover of your choice show up for the search for your book. But, you can't delete the old edition. Only their librarians can do that and the problem there would be that you probably already have readers that have added your book (so they probably won't delete it). Also, sometimes the old cover/title edition may still come up on searches.

I've changed the cover for a couple books on Goodreads, particularly when I've entered them early and altered a word or two. So, it's weird, but I have like three linked editions for some of my books there.

If you change the ISBN, you can't change the edition at all on Goodreads. It becomes an entirely new entry.

edit} On Amazon, I believe you can change the cover with the same book tied to your ASIN/ISBN, but you can't change the title (like Shayne says ^^).

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Moe D said:
Thanks for the info Shayne.

ETA: Just did a quick look on Amazon. Seems I'm starting from scratch. Such is life.
You're welcome!

alhawke said:
Regarding Goodreads, you can change the cover and title by editing as a new edition. You can then make the cover of your choice show up for the search for your book. But, you can't delete the old edition. Only their librarians can do that and the problem there would be that you probably already have readers that have added your book (so they probably won't delete it). Also, sometimes the old cover/title edition may still come up on searches.
Just wanted to add, what AlHawke says is true about adding a new edition, and you can choose which one you want to see in searches. But other people can choose to see the other edition if that's their preference - that's why they won't remove the old version.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
ShayneRutherford said:
As far as I know, the ISBN is tied to the title of the book. So if you're changing the title, you can't use the same ISBN.
The first sentence is false, or at best misleading; the second, true.

The ISBN is not tied to a title, else all the books with the same title (look up things like "Blood Ties" for many books with that title, each of which have a different ISBN or none at all) would have the same ISBN.

Rather, the ISBN identifies a unique work. As soon as anything substantive is changed (beyond back and front matter and fixing typos or minor revisions) you can't use that ISBN.

Change anything substantive, such as the title, and you can't use that ISBN.

But, no ISBN is required in today's ebook world. Just use the ASIN.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
David VanDyke said:
The first sentence is false, or at best misleading; the second, true.

The ISBN is not tied to a title, else all the books with the same title (look up things like "Blood Ties" for many books with that title, each of which have a different ISBN or none at all) would have the same ISBN.
I guess I should have said 'it's tied to YOUR title and author name' so as to be more clear. But the OP wasn't talking about changing his author name, nor was he talking about anyone else's book, so I didn't really think it was relevant to point out that it's not tied to someone else's book of the same title.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ShayneRutherford said:
I guess I should have said 'it's tied to YOUR title and author name' so as to be more clear. But the OP wasn't talking about changing his author name, nor was he talking about anyone else's book, so I didn't really think it was relevant to point out that it's not tied to someone else's book of the same title.
I understood what you meant from the get go. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts