Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or maybe I've just been spoiled by having read a few really good ones in the last month or so. Either way, the last few books I've started have totally fallen flat. Oh the blurbs SOUND good, but the writing has been so pedestrian that I just can't keep going on 'em.

I also made the mistake of looking at my 'want to read' list along with all the books I HAVE already and it was kind of daunting! :eek:

So, I'm going to try a couple of things to fix this.

1. I am making a rule never to borrow/buy a book where the title includes the description -- especially if it uses words like "gripping", "unputdownable", "page turner", etc. Invariably, it is false advertising. I've decided if you have to tell me it's "gripping", then you're not doing it right. I should be able to figure that out pretty quickly on my own.

2. Time to fall back on some tried and true: I've been mostly reading according to what comes available at the library or is next up in my KU queue, but I need something I know I'll enjoy, so it's time to continue with Lady Darby. I'm up to number 4 (they just got married) and I'm glad I have several more to see me through any future slumps. :) I have a couple other "nexts" in favorite series that I can move up the queue as well.

On the plus side, I was able to cull my KU list quite a bit. :D

What do you all do to get over a slump?

·
Registered
781 Posts
What a timely post, Ann! Every single sample I have downloaded in recent weeks was either derivative, poorly written, boring or written in the present tense (a revolting new habit of young-ish writers). I also strongly dislike the way politics seeps into every little bit fiction lately. I simply do not want to read anyone's political rants in the middle of a nice, cozy murder in an English county house.

My solution has been spending some enjoyable hours re-reading my favorite Phryne Fisher mysteries :) During the pandemic, I have also read practically all Mrs. Bradley mysteries, and now I am re-reading some of those as well - the unusual language and lush descriptions of Scotland are quite lovely.

I also got a nice new historical mystery, Revenge in Rubies - A Harriet Gordon Mystery, Book 2 (the first book is Singapore Sapphire). Not perfect, but definitely very good! The third book, Evil in Emerald, is on my wish list (that has been kind of short lately and full of non-fiction books for astronomical prices).

So - yes, good books are out there, they just seem more and more difficult to find. I have been looking at some of my favorite book bloggers and sometimes there are interesting finds outside of all those bestsellers and book-prize lists touted by social media. I miss those times when this board was more active...!

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm not sure I meant this to happen, but now I have a new series to put on my lists. Thanks anguabell (I think.) :D

FWIW, KU books can be hit or miss. Now I'd say about half or maybe a bit more are really o.k. But a minority are very good. (Which is an improvement as it used to be finding even just 'OK' with KU was problematic.) I think I'm just looking for something 'more'. But you can't even count on that with 'big publisher' titles as so many authors nowadays seem to be trying too hard to be the next of whatever the last big thing was. It's hard to find something truly original, 'cause publishers don't want to take a chance on such things. That's where KU titles can shine. But there is chaff to sift through to get to the wheat.

The other thing I've noticed for me is that if the story and characters are really good, I don't need to have really great prose. But if you're boring me, I'm also going to realize you're doing it with a fairly dully written narrative. Vice versa, if the writings is really good, I'm willing to stick longer with a story that's taking a bit more time to develop.

·
Registered
20,468 Posts
i've fallen back into short story anthologies so i can just skip ahead if something isn't engaging me. i've never been a big fan of novel length mysteries, and definitely not into them right now.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I go back and re-read favorites when nothing new is catching my interest.
Mrs. Pollifax
A Modern Witch
Anything by Mary Higgins Clark
Anything by Mary Stewart
In Death
Harry Potter
Lady Julia
Lady Emily
Lady Darby
Sebastian St Cyr

·
Super Moderator
67,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooh ..... I used to LOVE Mary Stewart. But it's been ages since I read them. I may have to revisit. :D

Sadly, :( I've just put another library book on the DNF list -- and it was a Margaret Atwood title. :eek: Her writing is brilliant, but it just wasn't doing it for me. Too much story within a story within a story and jumping around in time. I think. It was difficult to follow.

Happily, the next library book in the list that came up, The Keeper of Lost Things, is starting with much more promise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts