Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm applying for teaching jobs in China and South Korea. As a proud owner of a Kindle, or as I call mine, Ari's Petit Livre, I wonder how much it's going to affect me to get new books. If I still keep my American bank account, I shouldn't have a problem, right? Or will I? Oh, I hope not. Anyway, I would appreciate your feedback and your knowledge. I would rather go to you first than Amazon's CS. I like you guys better. Heh heh.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I haven't used it overseas yet, (ask me after my July trip to Scotland). BUT, if you keep your Amazon account with an American based credit card, you should be able to fully access your Amazon account and download Kindle books via USB, and all other functions in your Manage kindle account.  That could include daily newspapers, by the way (like NY Times).

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I was in Switzerland last September and bought books from Amazon -- transferred them to my Kindle with the USB. I was also able to get my daily New York Times and downloaded that, too, no problems at all.

As long as you have an Amazon account, you should be set.

L

·
Registered
737 Posts
My stepdaughter is teaching English in Busan, South Korea.

Couple of practical issues: 

Take some local currency with you. 

You will need adapters for your US power cords to local electrical outlets.  Computer, Kindle, ....

Internet access?  Most everywhere in Korea, wi-fi even on trains.  Make sure you got it where you are going.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, Cowgirl and davem2bits, I really appreciate that.  I'm caught in a dilemma (a good dilemma though).  I'm split between teaching overseas or doing research with a renowned professory/psychiatrist at Stanford University's School of Medicine.  I was at his house yesterday (beautiful house I might add, and neighbor to Robin Williams and Sharon Stone), and he said he was willing to teach me more about Schizophrenia.

With how the economy is going, I would rather have a dilemma trying to figure out what job offer to take than to be stressed about not having any job offers.  However, it's still tough.  I'm studying Mandarin at the moment, and I have always wanted to teach English in China and my heart is veering toward that.  As corny as this may sound, I want to make a difference in the lives of children in China who want to learn how to speak English.  I'll feel as if I'm giving something back to society.  Not only that, my proficiency in Mandarin will surely improve, and when I move back to the states, my resume will look much nicer. 

I guess I could still keep in touch with him from China.

Again, thank you to everyone.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
What an amazing opportunity...whichever path you choose. If it were me...I'd follow my dream, at least for a year. Perhaps you can tell the Prof about your good dilemma. Maybe he'd be willing to defer for the amount of time you'd be away. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chynared21 said:
What an amazing opportunity...whichever path you choose. If it were me...I'd follow my dream, at least for a year. Perhaps you can tell the Prof about your good dilemma. Maybe he'd be willing to defer for the amount of time you'd be away. :)
That is so true! I agree 100%, and thank you for the motivation.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
El - buena suerte - boa sorte -

I live in Mexico - have a US credit card, and a US address, but don't use that address for anything other than social security, so you don't have any worries there.  I get my books, through one click, but you can charge individually if you want, I have gift cards I buy.  Go to Manage you Kindle, and download your books to your computer and then to your kindle.

That being said, I have a friend in Thailand that downloads directly to her iPhone, no computer involved.  Now if it goes to her kindle from there I have no idea as I don't have an iPhone.  It could be her phone service that makes it so easy, just don't know but maybe someone else will chime in here.

Hope you will keep us updated as to what goes on in your life, sounds terrific, whatever you do.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
What a lovely dilemma..  the wilds of Palo Alto or Asia?

I gather you cannot download samples if you don't have whispernet, but in another thread we've established that many people would be willing to D/L and email samples to you if you do go to asia.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think the rules are as long as you keep a US credit card attached to an Amazon account with a US address you should be able to go anywhere with internet access and be able to use your Kindle.

What exciting prospects you have to choose from. Good luck with whichever decision you make.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all so much. I'm taking my learning of Mandarin seriously now. I'm using three programs, Fluenz, RocketLanguages, and my friends. I believe that it's an important language to learn and respect. I'm learning Pinyin right now, but I aspire to learn the characters as well.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but thank you to all of you. A few weeks ago, I lost my job, and although it was difficult for me to handle at first, I realized that it was actually a blessing. My former job was leading me nowhere. I worked at a mental health clinic and it was making me depressed and anxious. Ironic, eh? I also didn't agree with the organization's practices and the demands were too high just to make a profit. Unfortunately, I got the short end of the stick, and I was an easy target for them to let go. I'm thankful I'm out of that place.

Now it's time for me to move forward. I'm originally from New York City, and I don't have any family in California, except for a couple of friends. I'm excited about this new chance, and I aspire to improve in my language skills and learning from other people's language and culture.

I'm open to the adventure wherever it takes me and my Petit Livre. Hey, you never know, I might publish something one day. I'm glad to share my brief story with all of you. You guys are wonderful, and I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Well as they say when 1 door closes, another  opens up :)
Best of luck with your decision,I am sure you will make the right one.
Please do keep us posted :)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Sorry to hear about the job but it does sound like you have some exciting opportunities. I am a great believer in the "when a door closes, a window opens" philosophy of life.

Keep us posted on what happens!

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
How very exciting for you.  Like the others have said, keep us posted. 
deb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts